JCCC3: Who were the Google employees?

edited October 2013 in JoCo Cruise
I met three Google employees at dinner on JCCC3 earlier this year, and I've forgotten their names. I'm applying to Google in Pittsburgh now, and my recruiter suggested that I try to find someone I know there just to say hi again. So if you know who they were, I'd really appreciate it. It was two men and a woman, and I think we talked about video games and using distributed version control systems in place of Perforce while sitting at one of the long tables on the lower floor. (Some part of the discussion revolved around how Perforce was the only way to get enough scalability for Google's internal projects, but there was some internal wiki describing how you could still use Mercurial or Git.) It's been 8 months, so my memory is getting hazy. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer to keep this information private.

Thanks!

Comments

• I had dinner with them one night!  But..  um...   Good luck!
  • I don't know who they were, but I can vouch that you are MUCH more likely to get a callback if a Google employee refers you. I had an application in at one point and got no response, then mentioned to a former co-worker who had gone to Google that I hadn't heard back and the next day a Google recruiter called me. And this former co-worker was by no means a bigwig. They just seem to take employee referrals seriously.

• I remember play-testing Cthulhu Fluxx with two of them on JCCC2, but don't remember their names. Wonder if the Looneys would have it in their records if they don't step forward.
  • I know one who was on JCCC2, but he didn't go on JCCC3, so I guess it wasn't him (and I have no idea whether he was one of the ones @Simalot played with.)
  • edited October 2013
    Oh hey, I was at that dinner! One of the guys also worked in the Android group. Sadly, I'm the worst at remembering names. Maybe try the JCCC3 facebook group?
  • I'm not on facebook, so I'll have to find another way. Wasn't there a guy named Joel who tried to make a website of everyone who went on JCCC3? ...

Yeah, here we go: http://seamonkey.joelrichard.com/

Sadly, it's no help for finding the Googlers....
  • "Wasn't there a guy named Joel"

There was... and they say he wasn't too different than you or me.

• Some say he codes library DBs for a large museum in Washington DC, and that he knows only two things about ducks, both of which are wrong... all we know is, he's called @joelr!
  • I heard that there is an airport in Russia named after him...
  • I heard he's actually a giant chicken.

Uh, I did not meet the Google employees, for the record.
  • Gah, now I've got Stig Boo in my head and he won't leave.
  • ♫ Some day I'm going to be the Googler.... ♫
  • I believe those three Googlers at dinner were myself (Ariel), my husband @colincross, and our friend Matt.  There were other Googlers on the ship (and we weren't the ones on JCCC2,) but your description sounds like us.  We just noticed this forum thread, so we're probably too late to help, sorry.

I really don't know how much weight the recruiters put on a referral from a social acquaintance.  I'm kind of surprised the recruiter would suggest you find a Googler just to say hi to.  It definitely counts more when we can vouch for the work of the person we're referring.  I'm happy to submit resumes for anyone who thinks it might help.  Just PM me a link.