JCCC4 - Jamaica, land of harrassment - WAS:Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies (Unhand my tutu, Miss!!!)

edited October 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Hi everyone. 

Honestly, I had the most marvelous time last year and really enjoyed the GLBT and Allies cocktail party. Really enjoyed watching my wife mistake
Kevin Murphy as a gay guy and then watching Kevin realize that Shelley had mistaken his pierced ear for a gay gang sign.

I was just reading a little Cruise Critic boards and under GLBT cruising they were talking about Jamaica and it's notorious anti-gay policies. apparently MUCH worse in Montego Bay but not restricted to there. The state dept has a warning out for Jamaica, not listing Falmouth, but many of the other cities in Jamaica arent safe.

I'm waiting for the list of JOCOSpeditions to make decisions, but we may just stay on the ship in Jamaica for a suntan and beverage binge. Has anyone ever cruised to Jamaica and what was your shore experience there?

AuntiL

Comments

• JCCC1 had a stop at Ocho Rios in Jamaica and a LOT of us really hated the place for its seriously aggressive sales tactics -- every few feet someone was trying to sell you something, and they did not like to take no for an answer. Unless there's a Sea Monkey excursion that catches our fancy, we plan to stay on the ship there -- we did that at one or two of the ports on JCCC3 and spent the time in the game room and by the pool, which was great as neither was crowded.

• By the time I woke up after docking in Jamaica on the first cruise, I had heard way too many horror stories before I even had a chance to get off the boat, so I never bothered.  I wasn't out at the time, so I likely would have had less concern about my safety on the island (at least as far as this issue goes), but now that I am and plan to be crossdressing the entire cruise, I will likely avoid Jamaica once again (unless there is an awesome seamonkey excursion I want to go to).  I am all for some sort of big LGBTQSWTFBBQ party on the boat while we are in dock, and imagine that all the other JCCC1 veterans will join us.
  • I had been to Jamaica once before back around 2000-ish at a different port (I forget which, but it wasn't Ocho Rios) and at that time it was not remotely as bad as Ocho Rios was, but neither was it a place I felt any great desire to revisit. (I'm not really the active outdoor type, so many of the islands lures are wasted on me.)
  • We had a stop in Falmouth in Jan 2012. There is a fenced in shopping area at the dock. My husband and I wandered around that area for a while and then got back on the ship for lunch. We were never hassled by anybody in that area, but did not venture outside of the secured area. Some of the sales people inside the shops were pushy, but that's the norm I guess.

For this trip, we'll likely do the same and just wander around the secure area again and probably have a drink or two at the new Margaritaville that recently opened there.

Unless things have changed since we were there last, I think if you'd like to get off the ship for a few hours, walking around the fenced-in area would be safe. 
  • Awww, I was hoping this thread would give me a use for the tutu that my mum made for me to wear on the cruise.

Like many JCCC1 veterans, I'm hesitant to get off the boat in Jamaica (I drew a comic which might give you an idea of the aggressive sales tactics), and I was thinking of organising some kind of 'giant finger floating away' group photo in the presidential suite in the back of the boat.
  • oh, well if tutus are in demand, then tutus we shall wear!  Wear a tutu while staying on the boat in Jamaica!
  • I was thinking of a shadow cruise event involving tutu wearing / ball pit event when we are docked.
  • Didn't a bunch of Sea Monkeys do an independent excursion through one of the Taylors (Peat or Courtney) for JCCC1?  How did that go?
  • A decent summary of Jamaica:

While there were a few positives, the constant badgering left me on edge, and really spoiled what could have been an enjoyable experience.  We might get off the boat, but if we do, it will likely only be to buy some cream rum from the secure shopping area.
  • I have already formulated a plan for Jamaica. It involves assuming the position being demonstrated above, while drinking, on some deck of the ship. I will do this all day. I'm a pretty extroverted person, and Jamaica was ridiculously hard for me. My poor wife (who is far more introverted) was nearly traumatized.
  • I'm really sad to hear that about Jamaica.  I've wanted to go there since I was a little girl and was very excited when I realized I could go on the cruise for sure this year.
  • To be fair, Jamaica is beautiful (so I hear), the issue everybody had was the sheer number of spambots around everywhere.
  • It is beautiful. It's where Patrick and I met! And also got separated in that tourist-trap "artisan village" at the exit to Dunn's River Falls, which wound up being terrifying.

Our plan is to stay on the ship that day.

(All that said, one of my colleagues is from Jamaica, and I feel super bad every time the conversation moves to Jamaica Is Terrible. The touristy areas are for sure overrun with aggressive people trying to sell stuff, but there's also lots of the country that isn't a cruise port.)
  • I find it helpful to remind myself that we were not visiting Jamaica per se—more like a tourist trap that happens to be located on Jamaica. I've encountered similarly agressive sales tactics at famous European attractions, though not such a high density in one place.

On JCCC1 I wandered away from the touristy areas in search of a store and found relief from the opportunists, but felt very conspicuous and soon returned to the ship.

The experience mostly made me sad.
  • I may leave the ship for the private island, but I doubt I'm going to disembark otherwise. 
  • @thefoodgeek - Well, if you're up for a game while we're in one of the ports, find us -- we will probably stay on the ship too.
  • I literally did not step off the boat on JCCC1. I did disembark on JCCC2 and JCCC3, but, frankly, the tropical paradises were the least enjoyable parts of the cruise for me. I like enclosed spaces with no natural light.

I was thinking of organizing a couple of one-shot RPG sessions on shore days. The Transatlantic playset for Fiasco seems like a natural, and maybe a session of Lasers & Feelings (the Doubleclicks tribute RPG) if I feel like ambitiously overextending my non-existent GM skills.
  • @thefoodgeek I do recommend getting off in grand cayman and finding some caribbean lobster.
  • Possibly. One of my weakness is that I am highly susceptible to food-borne illness, so while I am keen try try out native cuisines, I am also wary of it. 
  • Enclosed spaces are not necessarily bad... so long as they have ventilation. The game room on JCCC3, at times, had a bad case of the Gamer Funk.
  • Grand Cayman is worth making a trip, even dealing with it being a tender port with a big-ass ship. Even if you do nothing else, there's a little sandwich shop/deli off the square behind the row of shopping hell, left, about 2 blocks to the left (as you face the dock from the sea) from where the tenders drop you. It's popular with the local banker-types on their lunch break, hardly any tourists even though it's right behind the duty-free shopping paradise(?) that is the front street. There's also a pharmacy/drug/sundries store there.

Grand Cayman, for the most part, bans street vendors, so aside from a few opportunistic taxi/tour minibus folks trying to get you into their vehicles for a tour, it's about as different from Jamaica as you can get in that respect. I really enjoy GC. I really loathe Jamaica (best visit I've ever had there involved walking off the ship at Ocho Rios, across the very pier where the ship was docked, and getting onto the snorkel boat. Never even had to run the gauntlet at the port entrance). It's a shame, and I'm sure if I got into the interior, I'd find friendly people and cool sights, but the way the vultures gather at the dock entrance makes that unlikely to happen on a cruise visit, at least for me.

My understanding is that Falmouth's pier was done up specifically for Royal Caribbean to be able to dock the big honkers, and inside the pier area you can expect it to be fairly sterile and the usual tourist rubbish, Jamaica-themed. Outside the pasty-pen, I don't have enough information.
  • Down away where the nights are gay
    And the sun shines brightly on the mountaintop
    I took a trip on a sailing ship
    And when I reached Jamaica, I didn't stop!

• I'm curious if the JCCC4 port in Jamaica will be better than Ocho Rios...
  • ...And I'm GLaD to say, I'm on my way
    Won't get off the ship today

• I wish I could remember which port we had stopped in back in the early 2000s. We didn't go on a tour we just walked off the ship to a smallish neighborhood of shops to stroll around in. It was over 10 years ago but I don't recall being aggressively hustled, just a few ladies offering to braid my hair and one guy surreptitiously-in-a-comically-obvious-way offering to sell me pot. Other than that it was an uneventful and not unpleasant experience. I ended up buying my then-fiance-now-wife an emerald ring that she really liked from one of the jewelry stores though that wasn't something we had set out to do.

I'd say if someone was interested in seeing the island but was concerned about these sorts of problems, there's no reason you couldn't just walk of the ship into the nearby port town, and if things feel uncomfortable right from the start (which they probably will if they're going to be) just turn right around and walk back to the ship, no harm done.

As implied by a few others here as well, some of the pre-arranged excursions for things like snorkeling might be perfectly nice as well. Probably the big keyword to avoid in a shore excursion description is the inclusion of phrases like "...and we'll conclude with an opportunity for shopping with special discounts from several preferred stores!"  Any mention of shopping in the excursion description is probably likely to imply being dropped off in what we might refer to colloquially as "a trap".

• Here's another comment from the peanut gallery. In 2007 I spent a week in the interior of Jamaica (May Pen, for those curious) with a half-day in Kingston on the way back. The people are very socially conservative, and once you get away from touristy areas the salespeople aren't especially obnoxious. I felt a bit on edge for most of the time I was there, except at the hotel or at work, but at least part of that was just my normal social anxiety.

The food was almost always very good, as was the tourist coffee. (All of the good stuff seems to be for export or sale to tourists; most people drink instant Nescafe.) I'll probably get off the ship to get some jerked chicken and coffee, if nothing else.

• I had a horrible time at Ocho Rios on JCCC1 too, so I think it'll be a good day for my fiancée & I to get massages on the ship. That said though, there seem to be a lot of Jamaican crew members on Royal Caribbean ships, so I hope the "Jamaica sucks" talk will be politely discouraged by the home office.
  • Concur with much of the above, including @UB's - focusing on the positive...

I'll bet the WaveRider lines will be crazy short that day!

>>>>>>>>  Nathan
  • "Didn't a bunch of Sea Monkeys do an independent excursion through one of the Taylors (Peat or Courtney) for JCCC1?  How did that go?"

Yes. It went great. We went to three places -- Zip lining, horseback riding on the beach, and tubing. The horseback riding was a bit sketchy -- the horses didn't look particularly well cared for to me and the beach was a bit trashy (literally had trash on it), but the others were really fun.
  • zip line
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150118167365189&set=t.508124269

horseback

Sadly, I don't think there are any pictures from the tubing, which was probably the best part. Our guide liked to serenade his customers. He seemed to really enjoy it when we serenaded him back with JoCo songs.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks @arenson9 ; It's good to know it may still be worth it to get off the ship as long as you book a private excursion... I'll get some first hand experience on how I feel about Ocho Rios after my Christmas cruise and that'll probably inform whether or not I get off the ship when JCCC4 hits Falmouth!
  • Despite everything mentioned about Jamaica above, Dunn's River Falls is really neat and worth a trip. Just watch out for people putting things in your hand 'for free' on the way out.
  • Won't the falls be a couple hours from Falmouth though? Maybe my Jamaica geography is way off.

Hey speaking of, I just ran across this:  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g612473-Activities-Falmouth_Trelawny_Parish_Jamaica.html

No guarantee any of these would be offered as ship excursions of course. At least some of those seem like things you'd have to stay into the evening to do.

• We had an absolutely lovely summer associate in our law firm who calls Port Falmout' (she says they never pronounce the "t") her hometown and she still has family there.  This place is a small town with a relatively new port and is not like some of the other places in Jamaica with aggressive sellers.  I, for one, am really looking forward to this port and trying to find "Miss Lorna", Syreeta's mom.  If I don't make contact with Miss Lorna, at least I can get my hair braided and pick up some voodoo dolls (plural: sometimes I can be vindictive! - but I digress).

But seriously, you guys should give Falmout' a chance!
  • edited October 2013
    Falmouth is between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. Falmouth is a "new" cruise port built by RCI (or at least heavily funded by them) as an available port for it's Oasis-class ships. It also gives them the opportunity to sell excursions to both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, even with the transport time (~1 hr each way for either of them, IIRC). 

One thing to keep in mind if you opt for an excursion to Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, if you book through the cruise line, the ship will wait for you if there are any issues that cause you to be late getting back to the ship. Just an FYI, not in any way promoting their expensive excursions, but something you should be aware of with those kinds of transit times.
  • Well, about the only thing that grabs my interest in Jamaica is a visit to Appleton Estate for the rum tour. But, it looks to be a bit far from the port, and it's not showing up in the excursions list. So unless it shows up later (or if someone knows a secret way to find it), I'll likely be staying on the boat.
  • @Lissa   We (Julie, Juan, Andrew and myself) learned that the hard way and almost missed the ship after our personal tour of St. Thomas ;-)
  • If you look at the excursions that are listed for this stop, one of them is to go to a plantation house and be cared for by your own, I assume, non-white butler.  Shades of Paula Deen. I assume buttering your butler is an extra fee.
  • edited October 2013
    A word of warning - husband and I tried to use on board amenities (the climbing wall) while in a port last cruise and found that whole area closed.
  • The climbing wall was indeed closed while we were in one of the ports last year. Some of the other stuff was available (spa appointments, etc.) but I think they either assume there won't be much demand for those things while in port or they let the staff that usually operates those amenities go take a break on land. We wanted to play mini-golf, for example, and it was closed. (Probably for the best as the giant hot yellow ball in the sky was actively trying to kill us at the time.)
  • I've only been on JCC1, and we did get off the boat in Jamaica, despite warnings. On the plus side someone offered to sell us percocet (!), but on the downside I have red hair, which I think made the aggressive hair braiders feel the need to chase me down even more than normal. 

I was just reading that there's a vegan cafe/take out place right near the cruise port in falmouth, so we'll probably venture off the boat to check that out. 
  • Erin and I got off at all 3 stops on JCCC3, but a few things make us think we'll mostly stay aboard on JCCC4.

First, we really only enjoyed one of the excursions. Crewing the America's Cup boat was an AMAZING experience, and anybody who goes to St Maarten should look into doing it. It's completely fantastic and awesome. But the private island was just sort there, and the other paid trip (biking in St Thomas) was a complete bust. (Rusty bikes in poor repair, etc.)

Second, we got the idea after the fact that there was low-key fun to be had with other monkeys on board on port days, which appeals to us.

Third, we kinda felt like we'd tried to shove too much into the week before, and craved a little more down time. Port days by the pool reading or just generally relaxing sounds like just the ticket.

• Fwiw, on JCCC1 one of the options on Grand Cayman was a brewery/distillery tour, which isn't for everyone but if you love beer and rum, it was awesome. Even if you don't take the official tour, the Seven Fathoms rum distillery is right there near the dock, and you can 1) see a sweet enormous steampunk still bubbling away, and 2) have some of the best rum you'll ever taste.

• Rum purchasing is *definitely* on my itinerary. Thanks for the recommendation for Seven Fathoms! I didn't realize the distillery was right there.
  • I was in Falmouth last January with RCI and enjoyed a beautiful helicopter ride over Jamaica.  Where we dock is a very sterile port area with reggae music pumped in and your liquor, Blue Mountain coffee, Diamonds International stores.  There is a great little place in the middle that has meat pasties and strong inexpensive rum drinks that I highly recommend.  They have an area in the back with local crafts and paintings and the vendors there have been instructed on how to not be pushy and invade personal space, but as soon as you leave the protected gates...  I won't do that again! On the bright side if you like prostitutes and drugs I learned from my little adventure outside the gates you can get both for about $10, I know this because almost everyone propositioned me.  I am sure I will get off the boat long enough to re-stock my rum supply at home, have a few drinks, eat a meat pastie and retreat to the safety of the ship before my pale skin bursts into flames from being in direct sunlight.
  • Grand Cayman is fantastic even though you have to tender in.  It has the highest literacy rate and lowest unemployment in the Caribbean.  It is a pleasure to visit there.  It is a great place where you can walk around, do some shopping, have a drink and feel safe.  It is fun to take a boat out to the sandbar and swim with the stingrays.  If you have kids there is also a sea turtle farm there which is neat. There is a great gelato place right where we tender into.  I like to get my gelato before I get in the line to tender back to the ship.  Helps keep me cool : )  7 Mile Beach can be fun if you are into beach activities.  
  • Drugs and Prostitutes? That should be a Very Special Episode of Blossom.

• On JCCC2 and JCCC3, I was offered both at every Caribbean port where I disembarked.
  • Hollyros1:  What kinds of drugs?  Herbal, perhaps?  Just asking for a friend.