Official Photographer Atom Moore!

edited October 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Hello Sea Monkeys!
I am happy to be joining everyone again on JCCC4 as the official cruise photographer! This will be my 4th year on the cruise and my 3rd as its photographer. It has been really great to get to cover all of the amazing performers and events on the boat. It has been remarkably rewarding getting to know all of you Sea Monkeys too. On JCCC4 I plan on continuing to cover all the official events but wanted to ask for a little feedback. Is there something you would like me to cover? I don't often have time for a personal portrait set up here and there (as I know some other photogs have expressed interest in doing) but I am hoping to set up an unofficial event or two specifically to take photos of you and your group or partner. I am also considering doing a post cruise book. Are there those of you interested in a book or books of years past? I will certainly be offering photos after the event on a pay-what-you-want structure as I did last year. It worked well for me and I want to make more people aware of it for JCCC4! I am super excited so let me know your thoughts and questions!

You can still see and purchase photos from last year on my website HERE.

-Atom

Comments

• Hooray! I am mightily tempted by books of years past. I don't have a lot of wall space for individual photos, but I'd probably be in for a book of I, III, and IV.
  • Hi Atom! I super cherish the shots you've done of people out and about, at dinner and at some of the more mingle-y events, along with all the wonderful pictures you've taken of the shows and the entertainers.

And, YES, I would be all in on post-cruise book. I have taken progressively fewer pictures as the cruise has gone on, relying on people who are more skilled than me. So I love that idea!
  • We were talking about setting up Prom Photos over in my thread. (http://www.jonathancoulton.com/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/2225/jccc4-humble-indie-photographer-bundle#Item_14)

Would be a cool addition to a year book, also it would be great to get some other photogs in to help out if the demand for them is big.

Great to have you back for this year. Based on conversations with you and the King on last years ship, I have upgraded to full frame and loving every min of it.
  • Are we having a prom? because I would be very into a dance with 70s, 80s and 90s music. 

and I would love to be able to get JOCO3 photo book and would def purchase one for JOCO4
  • I'm with AuntiLaura!  JCCC3 and JCCC4 photo books would definitely be something I would get.
  • Hi Everyone, So as it turns out I will not be making any JCCC books right now. It just isn't really in the works do it for various reasons. So sorry for getting anyone's hopes up. As for any formal night headshot events it isn't something I can pursue. After looking into the policy of the cruise it is expressly forbidden. Since I am the official photographer for the event I can not step on the very clearly defined toes of boat. 

However, I will be photographing the same way I do every year. If you see me and want me to snap a photo of you that's no problem. All the images of you guys and gals will be available afterwards the same as last year. Feel free to continue to make suggestions of photo ideas while we are on the boat together!

• Yeah, I think any sort of official headshot type stuff, especially around the dining area where the ship has their photo equipment set up, would be... frowned upon by RCI, to say the least.
  • edited October 2013
    There are a King and Queen -- might as well have a prom! (No Carrie jokes, please. I know this crowd. ;-))
  • Would it be possible for us Sea Monkeys to do a Shadow Cruise Photo Book on our own that would be available after the cruise? Like, if everyone submitted CC-licensed photos to a group Flickr account or other reasonable service and then people could create their own accounts on the same service and make their own books? Or does that also step on the cruise boat's toes?
  • There are official JCCC groups for the previous three cruises, so I would not be surprised if it happened for 4.  The only problem is with so many people on the cruise, the group can get a lot of photos in it.  :)  The existing groups each have around 3,000 photos.

Groups:

• I just noticed that the first group has almost 4,000 photos in it!  I guess people got a little more selective for the later cruises.
  • Some of us got more insistent about "please please please do not just dump your entire memory card complete with multiple out-of-focus shots of the exact same thing into the group."
  • edited January 2014
    That's SUCH a thing with group pools. 

Seriously: use Lightroom or something. Cull. Imagine walking a co-worker through your resulting picture set, and imagine when they'll get bored. For any given normal event, I try not to end up with more then 30-40 on Flickr. For an event as long as JCCC that'd be a little restrictive, but you still shouldn't go completely bananas. My set from JCCC3 is 82 pictures, or about twice what I'd do for a really interesting one- or two-day event. Even so, I only contributed 11 to the group pool. 
  • Going back to TrishaLynn's question about doing a photo book, short answer: it's not going to work. Long answer: individuals can share images online but doing a book would be up to each individual. Nothing could be sold, even with CC if you are selling anything it steps on the cruises toes. So feel free to take the images you are allowed to use (cc) and do with them as you permitted. Online galleries have mostly replaced physical books so maybe there can be a best of on Flickr with a certain small group of people deciding what those are. It's the cruise line in general that makes it hard to do these kind of things because they want to make money off pictures of us. This is why I can't schedule any photo events on the boat.