The zombies are coming!

edited July 2013 in Everything Else
They have started in Vermint: http://www.necn.com/07/13/11/Hackers-in-Vermont-change-road-signs-to-/landing_mobile.html?blockID=540936

How will you spend your last moments on earth?

Comments

• Wyoming will be the human stronghold. :) So I'll just sit here and clean my guns!
  • edited July 2013
    Most regular humans can't identify Wyoming on a map, much less zombies. So, yes, I figure we're safe. ;-)
  • "Hackers".

Um, no. Jalops, far more likely.

Seriously, the only "hacking" involved in this is opening the access cover over the controls on the sign...
  • Most states at least have recognizable outlines.  Without context, I have difficulty distinguishing the shape of Wyoming from that of Colorado. ;-)
  • Wyoming is the one on top, rendering it more Yankee.
  • Us True Southerners...we'll kick zombie ass. If nothing else they will get an admonishment of monumental proportion from some.women which will surely make them fall apart..literally. Cause there are some southern women who can just do that. Otherwise the cajuns in gator country..the rural folk of MS and AL..some south Georgians...and a posse from SC should get or wound enough of them. The urban gangs and all the drug dealers of all stripes and locstions worried zombies will chase off customers or eat them will lend a hand whether urban or rural.

Then they send the Righteous Hat Ladies in for the final killing.

No more zombies. Some will ahem live but go back to whence they came after promising to never ever do such a.thing again and cower in their graves after Hat Ladies spare the few and order them to go back and spread the word to any zombie wannabes who are"too big for their britches.".

Southerners know how to deal with this kinda shit.
  • Except for Brian Dennehy, who will be eaten.
  • I dunno...Southerners weren't even able to defeat *Northerners*, and those people listen to NPR and drive Subarus.

• They also seem to only be doing a barely passable job against the zombie apocalypse in The Walking Dead, from what I've seen.
  • The zombies will just wander around eating whatever brains they can find while you argue about which part of the country is in the best position to defend against zombies. Meanwhile, they'll suck out my brain from a hole in the back of my head, making sure not to disrupt my internet connection and thus alert me to their presence.

Many of my friends would be busy filming them for a sequel to Decay, either not realising or not caring (apart from the occasional squee) that they're real. I'll be on-screen for about half a second in the resulting movie.
  • Walking Dead does not use Righteous Church Hat Ladies now do they? ;-)
  • Phil Plait would probably argue that the zombies are already here -- in the form of fanatical deniers of evolution, climate change, and the efficacy of vaccines.
  • Wait..@Mikesphar...NPR and subarus in the Civil War? Is it me or you who is from a parallel universe?
  • That is the most plausible explanation, because the North definitely hasn't had both of those since the early 1800s and kept that fact a secret.
  • @mikesphar: The war is remembered as a rout at the end, but it actually was a near thing until, suddenly, it wasn't, and a series of catastrophic-to-the-South developments combined to destroy any chance of success. (Thankfully.)

It was a close enough thing that there's an entire subgenre of SF/alt-history devoted to the idea of a victorious Confederacy; you don't have to fiddle too many historical knobs to get there. Gettysburg alone could have done it, and there were many other such moments in the war.

/nerdery
  • One knob's going to have to be a solid transportation system, chetman.  With the railroad systems so disorganized in the South, it didn't matter how much materiel was being produced at home factories, it couldn't get to the troops in time to make a difference.  The North had a much more solid support structure with the factories' war supply output being shipped over standardized railroad gauge to the troops.

The South now has highways, but the evacuations from NOLA in front of hurricanes are still clusters.....!

I'm staying in the mountains during the Zombie Apocalypse... it snowed up there this week.  That's got to slow some of those things down, and the population density is lower up there.  In case of emergency, get the heck away from other humans! (as shown in "Dies the Fire" *shudder*)
  • edited August 2013
    I recently watched a Gettysburg re-enactment. It really would have been tough for the South to win. The North had the high ground, superior forces, and more munitions.

Maybe if the South had had zombies. Or Zergs.
  • A few years ago there was a special exhibit on maps/cartography at the Chicago Field Museum. I walked in very skeptical about "Oh, yay, a bunch of pieces of paper with lines on them...wake me when we go see the dinosaur" but I was blown away by what a fascinating and amazing exhibit it was.

Just one of the many cool parts of that exhibit was an animated accelerated time map of the battle lines of the US civil war and which areas were controlled by which side from month to month, from beginning to end. Watching that really did give that sense of years of back and forth and then the tide finally turns into a tsunami near the end.

• A friend of mine contributed music to:
    "C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America" (2004)

Plot (from IMDB):
    Set in an contemporary alternative world where the Confederate States of America managed to win the American Civil War, a British film documentary examines the history of this nation. Beginning with its conquest of the northern states, the film covers the history of this state where racial enslavement became triumphant and the nation carried sinister designs of conquest. Interspersed throughout are various TV commercials of products of a virulent racist nature as well as public service announcements promoting this tyranny. Only at the end do you learn that there is less wholly imagined material in the film than you might suspect.
    ---
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0389828/