How many people would be interested in a Cigar/Pipe/Fine Spirits portion of the next cruise?

edited February 2013 in JoCo Cruise
I originally put the idea out there on the Facebook group for JCCC4 and have gotten some intererest; https://www.facebook.com/groups/445038048903514/445385485535437

Essentially the idea is to get together in the cigar lounge on a couple of nights  and enjoy fine cigars/pipes and/or spirits. I have a lead on getting some custom cigars labeled for the cruise as well and depending on the interest might be able to get a box or two. I was thinking on the formal dress nights peo0ple could throw on a smoking jacket and their finest ascot and chill out for an hour or so in the lounge.

I noticed a lot of people in there on the last night of the cruise when the decks were closed and there seem to be quite a few pipe and cigar smokers so it seemed like a good shot to make it semi official.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Yes. Though I don't own a smoking jacket, nor an ascot.
  • Sounds like a good idea to me, though I'd rather not get my suit/formalwear all smoky.
  • It would be cool if the home office could use our "GIGANTIC CRUISE TOUR GROUP MONIES!" pull to allow us to bring a bottle of nicer booze on board in place of one of our wine bottles.  Probably a longshot, though
  • @jackdaniels You can probably rent a corking machine from your local u-brew/wine store for cheap.  That, plus a new cork and a heat shrink foil goes a long way.  I would prefer to be able to purchase a nice bottle of my favourite Scotch for my room (like they allow for on HAL), but they won't even let you do that on RCCL.
  • I was worried about that before the cruise, but once on the boat I found the markup on my favorite hooch -- Blanton's bourbon -- to be way, way lower than I'm used to paying in Houston bars and restaurants. I didn't order any Jack, but I assume that pricing choice was universal and not confined to higher-end whisk[e]ys. 

IOW, I'm not sure I'd bother next year even if it was an option.
  • I wouldn't mind being able to bring something unusual or interesting--be it whiskey or beer--to share at dinner or some such, even if they controlled the bottle and charged some corkage fee like they will do with wines. I did bring some Dark Lord and a flask of Koval 47th Ward to share around at the Radisson the night before but it would be nice to be able to bring that stuff on the ship and have a big ole whiskey and beer sharin' party.  (When I used to go to the LISA conferences, one of the best parts was the "secret" whiskey party, where there would be a hospitality suite opened up to anyone who showed up with a bottle of something decent to share.) But, I understand why RCCL wants to control access to hard spirits for practical safety reasons as well as economic reasons.

I would have liked a really good rye on the menu but the bourbon selection--not just Blantons but also the Bookers, Bakers, and Basil Hayden[1]--was certainly more then good enough to keep me happy for a week. No complaints there.

[1] Whoa...I just now noticed all those B's. Weird.

• @mikesphar Bourbon makers apparently enjoy alliteration.
  • so says BassBone and the alliteration continues
  • edited March 2013
    Alas, I don't drink or smoke. Wish there were fine coffee on the boat; that's something I'd love to consume. Only decent coffee I had during JCCC3 was in port at St. Thomas.
  • i like this idea and want it to happen!
  • edited April 2013
    I bring a few travel humidors of cigars with me every year on JCCC. If we have a group event, I'll be there.
  • Brett, couldn't you bring some of your own favorite beans? I might be interested in a coffee-tasting event, if folks bring great local stuff (or personally roasted stuff, even) to share.
  • I'm in! I'll definitely bring some quality pipe tobacco. 
  • I support this plan! I will be bringing my meerschaum again, and some fancy tobacco.
  • I'm embarking on the adventure of homemade mead, so if I am successful at creating a really tasty batch between now and the cruise I plan to bring some with me. :)
  • @SarahB My taste in spirits cannot often be labelled "fine", but I would definitely be interested in really tasty mead. (:

Be sure to be aware of RCI's policy on bringing alcohol aboard and/or share the night before!

(PS - I took the liberty of deleting your double-post, I hope that is not a problem.)
  • I do enjoy a fine mead, have a batch of honey waiting to be turned into mead myself (also adventuring into the art).
  • Arguably, you'd think you could bring some mead aboard under the policy of allowing you to bring your own wine, but I would also not be surprised if they were not interested in having that discussion and just said no, especially if it's unlabelled or obviously self-labelled. But you never know, definitely check with the ship!

Although, you could also potentially bring it to share at the JocoTel the night before, possibly. I brought some 3 Floyds Dark Lord to share last year. Will probably bring some again next year unless I drink it all before then. Rules and regulations permitting a bit of booze sharing at the Jocotel would be fun. And perfect for right after donating blood!

• I may still have homemade limoncello and rhubarb cordial to share at the ...correct me if I am wrong in term as I am New...the JoCotel the night before. It has to be freezing cold tho so thats a challenge.
  • I will be bringing my pipe and some tobacco as well. I second the thought of NOT making the nice Tux all smokey.
  • I have recently been shown the joy that is good scotch, so I would love this. I propose ascots and boxer shorts, to protect the finer clothing from smoke smell.
  • In related news: my mother in law just sent us a pipe tobacco blend called "R2D2." Sooo... I'll let you know how that goes.
  • Hell to the yes.  I haz a sequined ascot. I don't smoke much, but will enjoy a cigar while I'm vacationing on occasion. :)