JCCC3 - The AV Thread of Destiny!

edited February 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Kate's list here.

My Playlist here.

Sorry non-Facebookers, I regret depriving you of the magic that is moving pictures with sound, of the CRUISE!!! So, here you go.

Discuss. :)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Yay! An AV thread at last! I was thinking about starting one, and then it appeared.

I think most of the people with cameras that have nice compression and who don't film absolutely everything they see and don't feel compelled to write longwinded descriptions for things had probably put up footage of all the concerts before I even got home. So I'm haphazardly uploading things I found interesting and things other people didn't film and things people requested, and filling any gaps with stuff from the very beginning. I will update this post as I go and make playlists of events just as soon as I upload more than one video from a given event. I still haven't updated the spreadsheet with my footage from last year, so why am I typing here instead of updating that? I don't know. When I try to update the spreadsheet I keep getting distracted by the problem of where to put some of the things other people didn't film, and why the spreadsheet thingy is using so much of my processor.

Uploaded so far:
    • Live band karaoke and the normal karaoke after that (let me know if it's okay to upload your performances. I've uploaded everything people have definitely said was okay, but I haven't fixed the descriptions and made it all public yet)
    • The Rifftrax/Joseph Scrimshaw show
  • Having finally rid myself of enough Cruise Crud to count myself amongst the living once again, I'm just now getting around to looking at my pile of footage.  There's... a lot of it.  It's going to take a lot of time to compress and upload, but I'll start cataloguing as each item completes and is uploaded.

My slow broadband upload capacity means I have to do a lot of recompression before uploading, which slows me down quite a lot, but hopefully it won't take forever (but it'll take forever anyway, I'm sure, sigh...).
  • I tell myself that taking forever to upload means people's cruise memories last longer.
  • Did anyone video @wil 's unofficial q&a at the bar?
  • I can't take credit for the video spreadsheet. I started it with much help from @MJPM after the first cruise. Now, I mostly just promote it. :)
  • I didn't get @wil's Q&A because I was at @glenra's show. :p I would like to see it though.
  • I didn't even know it was happening until after it was over, so I don't have footage of it.  Anyone else?
  • I did NOT realize that the improv class was being filmed.... >.< I should check next time BEFORE I participate.

• @Urchin
    Most of us that film events on JCCC go by the general rule of thumb anything with multiple people is probably OK, especially in public, unless someone specifically asks otherwise.  In practice, this boils down to "most everything is fair game for recording except karaoke and rehearsals".

Note John Hodgman's set, where he specifically asked for the latter half of his performance not to be shared.  I actually turned my camera off after that request.

In a similar vein, we always try to honor specific requests not to post something, within the bounds of reason.  If you get called on-stage because you volunteered during a celebrity performance, I think you give up your right to anonymity at that point, but an edge case like the improv class is a gray area.  You're still in public, so you should always act like a camera is rolling, but if it really bugs you, a simple request to not record or publish fixes the problem and still allows you to participate.
  • Sorry, @Urchin, as you can hear at the beginning if the first video, I did ask at the beginning if it was okay to film (I normally do before posting anything that isn't done on stage by a designated Famous Person), and everyone seemed to be okay with it; perhaps you came in later. I can make those videos private if you want; I think the person who asked to see them has seen them by now.
  • This is just an outsider's opinion as I am not an improver, so feel free to disregard it.

An improv class feels like it should be the sort of place where it's safe to get up and try anything. The idea that it is implicitly okay to film it and post it for the rest of the world to see negates that safety. It feels like in this circumstance asking for permission should be the order of the day rather that asking for forgiveness.

Again this could just be me projecting my own insecurities. 
  • Hey, @Angelastic, That's fine... I just didn't notice :P But yeah, I agree with @JadeSnake about the avility to get up and try anything. Since it's not a show, it's usually not a good idea to film. I think some of the improv group got up and did a bit at open mike, I chose not to participate specifically because it's a performance in a venue that I'm not comfortable in and could be recorded...
  • All that said, I'm not personally requesting to have the vid removed... Actually, I probably did a lot better in the class since I did not know there was a camera on. I was just noticing that there was a video that I did not know was taken :P Sorry for the drama >.<
  • I also agree with @JadeSnake, which is why I asked first (I think she posted before seeing my post.) I only put the video online so soon and with so little double-checking that everyone was okay with it because someone in the improv group specifically asked to see it. Since he's seen it now, it really is no problem if @Urchin or anyone else in the class would prefer me to make the videos private.

While we're on the subject, I also recorded part of the a cappella practice. I asked there whether it was okay to film (because as a non-singer I find this part of the process fascinating) but it was mostly @Colleenky who said that of course I could; is there anyone in the a cappella group who would prefer it if I didn't post that video? I probably won't post it for ages because nobody has asked for it yet and there's so much else that happened first, but I will post it eventually if nobody objects.
  • @Angelastic No priority request or anything, but I do hope nobody objects to the a capella practice being uploaded (eventually). It's the only evidence I have of actually trying to participate in something! :) (I didn't make Open Mic night because I couldn't talk after Wednesday.)
  • i'm just popping in to say THANK YOU to all of you who put so much effort into filming/recording All The Things! i am currently frustated by still being on mifi on a train so i can't really watch this stuff, but i am really looking forward to faster internets so i can Watch All The Things i missed because of sleep/reasons. <3 <3 <3 
  • YES! I may have failed to thank people making recordings in the past, so THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! 
  • Indeed!  Thanks for recording, organizing, and posting!    Did anyone happen to get a video of My Fantastic Plastic Girl at Thursday night's Karaoke?
  • I, too, thank all involved in recording and posting the concerts for posterity. It's great to see the performances that I missed, even though watching/listening to the shows makes me want to go on the cruise sooooo bad. Looks and sounds like a ridiculously good time.
  • I've been trying to keep the spreadsheet up-to-date for the spreadsheet-editing-averse. I've been looking at the Facebook posts and YouTube upload feeds of fellow video-takers, and have added all that I've seen that others haven't added.

@Oboewan, I haven't seen any posted videos from Thursday's karaoke. Do you mean Tuesday's karaoke? I took this still of you then. If you mean Tuesday, check out Randy's videos (listed in the spreadsheet) from that evening. He has three files, each with multiple performers.
  • edited March 2013
    Hmmm... I was pretty sure it was Thursday but I lose track of time when a-ship so Tuesday it probably was
  • THANK YOU @Simalot!
  • My old comment is too long, so I just cut the end off it and I'll post it here. This thread needed a bump anyway.

Uploaded:
    Currently uploading/queued:

NOTHING! zOMG! My modem doesn't know what to do with itself. I have uploaded everything (including movie night intro, Comedy in the Caribbean, some of John Scalzi's ninja reading, most of John and the Hodgmen) up to the end of JoCo's second concert, I just haven't labelled it all and made it public yet, though I have other bits and pieces and plenty of Glen Raphael's ubiquitous concerts. But I have a lot of karaoke (live band and NoCo), some ready to upload, some that I guess I haven't watched yet, and all of the open mic. I've uploaded group acts and other open mic acts I was sure were okay to upload, but if you got up on stage for whatever reason and don't mind the world seeing, let me know! Even if you've already told me, I might have forgotten, so if you're not in the playlists, just ask.

Some multi-cruise topic-based playlists (this is why I add lots of keywords and description to my videos; you can probably track to development of 'sex party' by searching my uploads too)
    All the Q&A (including some that wasn't at official Q&A sessions or even on cruises.)