JoCo Cruise Crazy 4 - Entertainer Recommendations

edited February 2013 in JoCo Cruise
I had not yet seen a thread on this yet, so I wanted to get this out before the thought went out of my head (and was replaced with video madness).

After having the amazing Doubleclicks and Zoe Keating this year, I'd like to Kyle Landry or Lindsey Stirling for next year.

Kyle Landry is an accomplished pianist who's performances range from soundtracks of nostalgic geek media (like video games, tv, movies, etc.). He is a personal favorite of mine whom I'd love to see get the JoCo Cruise treatment.

This is his performance of one of my favorite songs of all time - Passion by Utada Hikaru from Kingdom Hearts 2. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neZL4_O6sQ

Lindsey Stirling is an amazing violinist whom I knew peripherally through Freddie Wong's video Legend of Zelda: Pot Smasher.
Several folks pointed me to her body of work, and I think we are are long overdue for some violin rock!
Elements (Dubstep Violin) www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ

I would also be remiss if I did not mention the following artists:

Raheem Jarbo AKA Mega Ran AKA Random - To continue from last year's Nerdcore entertainment as represented by MC Frontalot, there is a lot that Mega Ran brings to the table that will be entertaining. Rap may not be everyone's cup of tea, but his lyrics are not extreme and are often insightful. His recent Language Arts albums, along with his existing video game related library of songs, are just phenomenal.
First Day of School from Language Arts Vol. 1 www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUvDg_bKLlA

Dan Behrens AKA Danimal Cannon - If I thought that the HO could pull all of Metroid Metal without major expenses (or Arm Cannon for that matter), I would recommend both of those bands in a heartbeat. However, Danimal is a sight to behold as a solo artist. He is an amazing Chiptune composer and guitarist with major flair for stage craft (as in, he is just awesome to film).
The Big Crunch from his debut album Roots www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWFRZUXSvA

Comments

• I don't have any suggestions, but a collaboration between Linsey Stirling and Zoe Keating would probably require me to acquire a new brain.
  • I'd like Marian Call and Paul F. Tompkins back. As for new performers? Even though I'm not a big Nerdcore fan it would be cool to see some of that genre represented. Perhaps MC Frontalot or someone similar? I am embarrassed that I am not familiar with more female nerd folk artists and I really should remedy that.
  • @BassBone Seconding the return of Marian and PFT!

Frontalot was on the boat last year, unless my brain made his entire gig up? Was that someone else? Halp...
  • Frontalot was on last year, but if he returns I hope he brings his band with him. He is so much better to see with them.
  • I think I'd have the same performers on my wishlist as I had last year.  Though they're probably still very unlikely due to scheduling conflicts & general busy-ness, so I'm not holding my breath.  I'd love to have Paul F. Tompkins back too.

- Chris Hardwick
    - Reggie Watts
    - Kumail Nanjiani
    - Garfunkel & Oates
  • Sarah Donner is pretty amazing! I saw her with The Doubleclicks during PAX, and then had to figure out how to buy all the musics!
  • I third the return of Marian and PFT!  

Mara Levi would be an awesome fit for the cruise (and @Angelastic made a video!)
    Eric Schwartz
    Sean Altman (sang/performed with Da Vinci's  Notebook/Rockapella)
  • ZOMG Reggie Watts. Seriously.
  • edited February 2013
    I second Garfunkel & Oates (or either one of them solo, if necessary), because then Molly could tease them about beating them in Song Fu, instead of everyone teasing Paul and Storm about beating them in Song Fu. :)

Not so much a recommendation as a pipe dream: Marian Call and Mara Levi, singing together.

Also Tom Smith, B.A. Johnston (he sings about monkeys and robots too, but they're not sad), Jenny Omnichord, The Arrogant Worms, and everyone else I've ever listened to (e.g. most people on The FuMP or Zunior) who doesn't tour Europe. You don't need my recommendations; I'm coming anyway as long as nothing stops me. Oh, how about Helen Arney? She gave JC some CDs after the latest London concert and then she gave me some too (because apparently I am also a famous internet rock star) and I liked them. And then there's Juliana Finch, who Wil recommended last year. (Hey, how 'bout that? I'm coincidentally recommending a whole lot of female artists even though the gender imbalance has never really bothered me.)

I'm trying to think of non-musical people that would be as cool as Vi or Randall without actually being them (for variety; I'd be happy to have either of them back.) Steve Wozniak's pretty awesome and funny and seems to like travelling and music and nerd cruises. He has a lot of stories he could tell.

ETA: I haven't actually made a Mara Levi video yet, but I got footage for it. Hopefully enough.
  • I second the recommendation for Tom Smith (though he may have health issues that would prevent him from coming) and the Arrogant Worms.
  • Garfunkel & Oates, yes.

Marian Call, yes.

Would love to have both Chris Hardwick and Mike Phirman on at the same time, so there's solo, and there's Hard 'n Phirm (and maybe a secondary-track Nerdist Podcast recording in there somewhere).

Really, any of the artists from the first 3? I'm totally okay with return performers. I think the regulars are upping their games for the cruise -- several debuted new material specifically for JCCC3, and the options for semi-spontaneous collaborations remain (cf. Marian Call singing the hook on "Spoiler Alert" by MC Frontalot last year, and dueting with PFT, Zoe Keating with The DoubleClicks this year for Cello Madness "We destroyed all the violins.").
  • Perhaps the Great Luke Ski?
  • edited February 2013
    I second The Great Luke Ski and would also like to recommend Rob Balder.

[must refrain from listing several hundred more]

ETA: Oh what the heck, I'm going to say The Burning Hell even though I've seen them before and will see them again before the cruise, because I know that there's at least one other sea monkey (or three, if you misread his name) who likes them (also, Mathias somehow reminds me of Wil and Ariel reminds me of Kaylee Frye. Oh and they know someone who knows someone who knows Marian.)
  • edited February 2013
    Yes, Luke would be a great addition to the program. And he could bring Carrie Dahlby to even out the gender ratio a bit.

Another FuMPer whom this crowd would enjoy is Devo Spice. He's one of the few rappers I will listen to. Even better than Frontalot, IMHO.
  • edited February 2013
    As I have said before, I would love to see John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats as a performer. I think if you like Jonathan Coulton's music then there is a good chance you will like his too, he tells these fantastic stories both personal and fictional. He is a nerd and has written songs both inspired by and about video games, and he has ties to the Nerdfighter community.
  • My inner Nerdfighter is calling to this thread.

I recently came across The Mountain Goats, and they seem to be right up our alley.  They've got a lot of good music, some of it nerdy.  Almost certain they'd fit right in to our lineup.

I'm also a big fan of Hannah Hart, host of the hilarious YouTube series My Drunk Kitchen.  I have no idea how her show would work on a ship, but I do know that she's doing a tour, so it may very well be viable!

And of course, I would be thrilled to death if Hank and/or John Green could join us, but they strike me as more of the Adam Savage-esque "nonviable in terms of scheduling" types.  They would unquestionably raise our numbers though, potentially even overtaking us and becoming Nerdfighteria Cruise Crazy.
  • edited February 2013
    I just remembered I wrote a primer on The Mountain Goats if you want to start listening to them (and you totally should).

Also I recognize the irony of my asking for more female performers and then suggesting a dude.
  • John Darnielle was on Ships and Dip V with us (the Barenaked Ladies cruise), so there's precedent there...  :)
  • Oh, yeah, Adam Savage. Of course, Adam Savage. I know his schedule is insane (and his tendency to get motion sickness is almost as legendary as Grant Imahara's), but that doesn't ever mean I wouldn't want to share a big ol' boat with him (or Grant, for that matter).
  • Oh, as for people who were on the Barenaked Ladies cruise, I quite like Mike Evin. He collaborated with a guy who was in a band with some guys who closed for some guys who were in a band with some guys who open for Jonathan Coulton*, so he's practically JoCo-adjacent.

Also, I second Carrie Dahlby (who gave me an answer to the question people always ask me, 'do you have a song about having a song about everything?') and Devo Spice.
  • I would love Garfunkel and Oats! 
  • Coming out of hiding to (fourth?) fourth the Mountain Goats.
  • edited February 2013
    Another musician who might be fun -- he's said to be a great speaker as well as an excellent musician -- is Dave Carroll, the United Breaks Guitars guy. When United baggage handlers smashed his Taylor dreadnaught on the way to a gig, Dave used the power of social media, as well as some amusing songwriting, to obtain redress -- much as JoCo has attempted to do with Glee. Storm would doubtless appreciate Dave's work, since his equally pricey Martin DC Aura was pilfered at the same airport not long ago.
  • Garfunkel and Oats!
  • I will sixth Garfunkel and Oates
  • Seventh'd!

Honestly, as a newly-minted Sea Monkey, I had just sort of assumed Garfunkel and Oates had been on at least one of the cruises already. They seem like a natural fit, right down to the righteous uke.
  • Another for Garfunkel and Oates and Hannah Hart. My Drunk Cruise Ship? My Drunk Dining Room? My Drunk Hot Tub? 
  • I vote for Juliana Finch.  Then again, I know her IRL and she has even performed at my house.
  • Mountain Goats and Garfunkel and Oates (and Little Lambs Eat Ivy?) seem like solid choices to me. I'm partial to Voltaire, too, but maybe that's just me.
  • I have no idea how it would possibly work or be feasible. But I would love love LOVE to see some Thrilling Adventure Hour on a JCCC. I would also accept a Dead Authors show. (Joseph Scrimshaw as Ernest Hemingway?)

• My wishlist of new performers also includes Garfunkel & Oates*. @Angermonkey and I have talked about a time arising when we may have to skip a JCCC in the future, but I've stipulated that we have to go if Aimee Mann is ever performing. I'd also like to see Donald Glover, either in or out of his Childish Gambino persona.

*I wore my "I Love <3 Garfunkel & Oates" shirt one day and was asked if it was a jab at The Doubleclicks. FTR, it wasn't and Angela, at least, said she's a fan and wondered why someone would think there's only room for one all-female nerd-folk/rock duo.
  • I'd love for there to be Hard 'n' Phirm, Garfunkel and Oates, and more standup comedy. 
  • edited February 2013
    I somehow forgot to second Hard 'n Phirm before, so yeah, I'll third that. But I think @paulandstorm already said on facebook or somewhere that Chris Hardwick and Adam Savage pretty much have open invitations to come but they're too busy. So if you can't get Hard, just make that two votes for Phirm.
  • Hardwick seems to be hitting the big time; he got a 20Q in this month's Playboy.
  • @lucioperca it's not just you Voltaire's great, nice idea! :)
  • edited February 2013
    I would like to express my desire to *not* have Garfunkel and Oates on the cruise. Their humor rubs me to wrong way as it always seems rather meanspirited and vulgar for no reason (their song "Pregnant Women are Smug" comes to mind). That said, if they were on the cruise, that would not deter me from attending.
  • @BassBone You must join my party of one for Kyle Landry then! Or maybe Danimal.
  • @BassBone Respect your opinion. Comedy is often edgy and risks going too far for certain members of the audience. (Paul and Storm's "I Will Sing A Lullabye" has been known to offend some listeners as well.) That being said, most of G&O's songs are not that way.
  • The three I put in my survey were: Adam Savage, Garfunkel & Oates, and Juliana Finch. Adam is probably a huge long shot but I think having a Wootstock Founder's night at sea would be pretty epic.
  • edited February 2013
    Okay, because this is being discussed right now on Facebook, I'm going to say it: Matt Murphy.
  • edited February 2013
    Eric Schwartz and his co-conspirator Suzanne Whang. Eric is played regularly on Dr. D and performed at the LA w00tstock which featured Dr. D and Weird Al. Suzanne, best known for her work on House Hunters, does brilliant standup and has some amazing stories to tell about beating cancer.
  • I second @Angelastic's request for Matt Murphy!
  • I third the #mattmurphy request!
  • Here's the full Matt Murphy JCCC2 playlist so people understand where we're coming from.
  • Seconds here for Garfunkel and /or Oates, and Tompkins fo' sheezy.  While we're dreaming, how about Bill Nye?  Neil de-mutha'effin-Grasse Tyson?

• FOURTHED! #MattMurphy #TeamMaMu ?
  • Jake Shimabukuro always blows me away with his one-man ukelele awesomeness.

• edited February 2013
    I loved this year's set of performers and would be happy to see any and all of them back.  For new folks, I'd like to see: 
    Bonnie Burton (she and Anne could seriously vandal-eyes) + cool geeky crafts! Also Bresha Webb (Cookie Tuesday of Learning Town), Veronica Belmont, Felicia Day, Jian Ghomeshi, Phil Plait, I Fight Dragons.  

(Also, as noted by others above, Garfunkel & Oates, Bill Nye, Marian Call, Matt Murphy.)
  • edited February 2013
    I second Jian Ghomeshi (I bet some people predicted that) and Phil Plait