Post JCCC3: BUZZ MARKETING THREAD

edited February 2013 in Everything Else
Shill your stuff, monkeys.

In my case:

If you enjoyed my Hello, The Future! concert with Glen Raphael, or if you would like to purchase any of the awesome t-shirts I wore during the cruise (including "Life is a LARP" or "I am on the side of the scientists"), aim your browsers at:

http://hello-the-future.bandcamp.com
http://hello-the-future.bandcamp.com/merch

I am also on the iTunes, the Amazons, the Spotifies, and pretty much everywhere music is sold or streamed EXCEPT PANDORA WHAT THE WHAT.

Go to http://www.hello-the-future.net/music to get your hands on all of that.

/buzzmarketing

Comments

• Hi, my name is Alice and I do some things.

I have a weekly email project called Probably Never that you can sign up for. You may have heard me accidentally (I swear) back-door plug it at the Writers panel.

I have a video game podcast called Girlfriend Mode where I discuss the video games I am playing with my friend Lindsay, only 30 minutes once a month!

I also produce a podcast called Ladysplaining where Sara Chicazul explains things and I try to get out of the way. We recorded three episodes on the nerd boat with Famous Tracy, Colleenky and Zoe Keating that will be released over the next few weeks.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm going to plug a fellow Sea Monkey's business because I don't think they are on the forums.  They wore some of their shirts and such during the cruise.

• edited March 2013
    If you enjoyed my Glen Raphael concert with Hello, The Future!... :-)

My album Lady Liberty can be found on bandcamp (for streaming/digital download) at
     http://glenraphael.bandcamp.com/

Or you can order a physical shrinkwrapped CD of Lady Liberty here:
     http://www.reverbnation.com/store/view_item_album/artist_698863?item_id=1649406

If you want to learn them, lyrics for all those songs can be found on a single page here:
      http://glenraphael.com/Music/Lyrics.html

I am also on the twitters - @glenraphael - and the books of face - http://www.facebook.com/glen.raphael - and the reverbs nation (where you can click "Become a Fan" to join my mailing list if you aren't already on it) -  http://www.reverbnation.com/glenraphael

/buzzmarketing
  • As for myself... I own a game company called Hellfire Games, and we've created some nifty free-to-play games in PlayStation Home which everyone has access to on your PlayStation 3. (everyone has a PS3, right?)

Our most recent game was voted game of the year by the fans, and it is well, a mix of SimCity-lite and GTA-lite, with humorous branching dialogs, and it is called Home Tycoon.  Watch the trailer!  (link below)

Our first game we made for PlayStation Home is called Novus Prime, and it is a 4-player coop space shooter. Here is a trailer from an expansion to it.

Again, this is all free to play if you own a PlayStation 3!

Thanks @Blue for opening the door to plugging my stuff.   :)

Side Note: You might know me from being the Re: Your Brains karaoke singer and "Zombie Fighter" on JCCC2, and getting to jump on stage to help out with Sucker Punch during Live JoCo Band Karaoke on JCCC3.

-Jeff Posey

• I'm making a video game! Some of you may have played it. If you lost my "card" or didn't get one, I'm reachable on 

Twitter @lazerglebs

They all mostly say the same thing so pick whichever suits you the best!
  • edited February 2013
    Hey, Natalie here. You may have seen me draw stuff around the boat. Some of you were even nice enough to take some of my drawings home with you. Thanks!

You can see my various stuff and various stages of various projects at my blog: The Fuzzy Slug
    I have a few original art cards up for sale: Etsy Shop
    I also am happy to take requests: Commissions
    Twitter: @minitotoro
  • @thefuzzyslug also made all the awesome Ukulele tuner charms for the Melee this year. 
  • Nothing's for sale yet, but I plan to populate my bandcamp page with new recordings in the coming months.
    sevinPackage.bandcamp.com
    My main Youtube channel is for videos I create and/or film:

My second channel is for projects I'm involved in, performance-wise:

My Twitter handle is @sevinPackage.
  • I have nothing to shill, but I love this thread.
  • I don't have anything to sell, but I have written a humor blog for mostly the past ten years that might amuse a certain sort of person in a particular kind of mood: Where the Hell Was I?. It's full of awkward conversations, mortifying moments and general nonsense. And more recently, filler in the form of dubiously-appropriate ecards. Lots and lots of filler.

I've also written and performed standup, sketch comedy and essay readings around the Boston area, and always enjoy working with others on those sorts of things. So if I'm shilling for anything, particularly, I suppose it's for seeing whether any funny New England-ish (or elsewhere) monkeys would be interested in maybe collaborating. 

(That's "funny ha-ha" monkeys. Or the other kinds. It's all good.)
  • I was exposed to a great deal of creative awesomeness on JCCC3 and now there's more! Makes me want to get out my crayons or something.
  • I can shill for other Sea Monkey's, right?

Christopher Badell's FIRST super awesome game: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/

(The second one, http://galacticstrikeforce.com/, is expected to be released for GenCon 2013)
  • Nothing to shill yet, and my plans aren't exactly for world domination.

However I will just drop in and recommend both Hello The Future @blue and Glen Raphael @glenra as I checked out their show and it was splendid. Also caught a small elevator performance as well. 

As soon as my wallet recovers enough we will be out to buy!
  • edited February 2013
    If you live or find yourself in Chicago, stop by and visit Nick and I at our newish game store, Wanderers' Refuge!  (site design by the insanely multitalented @aliceandstuff )   We host daily events, and you can always find the most current details on our Facebook page.

We do things a little differently at the Refuge, so if you've been looking for a place to hang out and play with good people in a place that's more like a living room than a store, then come check us out! 

Aileen  
  • Hi, I'm Leslie Hudson.  I sang at the open mic, and the song circles, and karaoke, and whenever I could.  JCCC3 was my first cruise ever, and you guys made it an amazing experience.

I'm currently working on a double-CD which will be for sale when it's done, but I have loads of free music on my website and my SoundCloud account for you to listen to if you're interested.

I sing/write everything from geek to rock to metal to classical to folk, overlapping them as often as possible.

And I've got a Facebook page where I post my gigs and projects and media.  So now you know where to find me!

• I write electronic music!  Next year I'd like to try to play something at open mic night.  In the meantime, if you want to get my music through some kind of electronic bit-based medium, it's here:

• edited February 2013
    Hi,

I have nothing to sell you and do not intend to quit my job and become a rock star in the near future, but if anyone's interested in the correct words (including the two lines I accidentally missed out) of the poem I recited at open mic, plus a bonus Star Wars haiku, here they are. Also I have a blog where I write approximately 0.8 Things a Week. I did 1.0 Things a Week for a year four years ago (I start this every February 29), but now I've proven I can do that I'm doing a wider variety of Things in a wider variety of Week-lengths.

Also, Adam Bernstein (the bass player in the Jonathan Coulton Band) has his own album.
  • @Leslie: you didn't even mention the fact that you play invisible piano! Don't be so modest!

P
  • Hello! You may know me from regular karaoke and/or standing near my husband Atom, who looks like a giant beard with a camera in front of it. We make stuff, mostly tshirts, but I also make jewelry. Atom, of course, takes photos and will be happy to make actual prints of the ones he took at JCCC3.

Photos are at Atom Moore Photography.
    I know, printed photos? Like, on paper? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

Our T-shirt store has Sweet Tooth Yeti (see the corresponding dessert blog), Fake Geek Girl, Jackalope and Bitters (my sporadically-updated cocktail blog) and the Noodles! shirt, which arose from a completely ridiculous post-JCCC1 conversation. All art except the Fake Geek Girl shirt is by the fabulous Len Peralta, who has some awesome projects like 50v50 and Geekimals going on right now.

My jewelry store is Below the Deep. It's not really geeky jewelry or anything, just stuff my business partner and I make, but I am going to have some bejeweled circuit board earrings there... soon.

• What sort of T-shirts are they printed on? I ask because some of the new skinny stretchy t-shirts (e.g., American Apparel) suck for bigger dudes, and wear poorly besides. OTOH, if it's classic Hanes Beefy-Ts or the equivalent, I'm about to spend money...
  • @chetman they are on Gildan 2000 shirts, and there is a size chart for them in the FAQ. We find that they run pretty true to size in the classic t-shirt range (ie, they are not too small and thin like the AA shirts).
  • Gildan 2000s and Hanes Beefy-Ts are the weapons of choice for fine quality T-shirts. :)
  • Sounds awesome. gonna have to get me one of them jackalope shirts!
  • @paulandstorm - Good point!  I also play the guitar like a beginner, and the harp like someone who rarely practices.  I should make a list. ;)
  • edited February 2013
    If any of the musicians promoting their work in this thread are interested in karaoke tracks for their compositions, message me here or contact me via Twitter. Karaoke is a great way to encourage and enable your fans to publicize your work. (While far too much of my life is consumed by building out the Internet for me to do art/music all the time, I have been doing this as a way of promoting creators and making a bit of art myself.)
  • I don't know if he's on the forums but Cayenne Chris Conroy has been running a fantastic podcast for the last eight years that bounces between sketch comedy and longer form sci-fi stories.  It is really worth checking out.

http://www.cayenne.libsyn.com/

• edited February 2013
    A bunch of awesome writers got together and wrote a goofy little book, which I then edited, called Return of the Kings. It's only available via eBook, but hey, it's only $2.99 and it's got Elder Gods and Elvis (okay, sort of) and dragons, and all proceeds go to an awesome cause (a memorial fund for the Clarion Writers' Workshop). 

• I have a blog where I write poems about Minecraft and stuff, which I started after JCCC1.

At my job I have been on a podcast called PopStuff, which is ending its 17-month run next week.

Also next week in my day job I will begin to be on a different podcast called Stuff You Missed in History Class.

I will tell you all when my first novel becomes a real thing instead of a thing I am shopping around. It will not be free, but the other things I have listed here are free.
  • edited February 2013
    ALL THE PODCASTS.  It's a good thing I basically drive for a living because I have lots of time to listen to all of your awesomeness. So excited to check them all out.

(Except for yours, @villicious, because I already listen to those.)
  • The only thing I have to shill here is my online radio show at http://www.live365.com/mcrmidnightcafe.  I'm on Wednesday nights from 7:30 EST until whenever, depends on how long of a set list I feel like putting together.  I play different stuff each week, but I usually include a lot of the same kind of programming you'd probably hear on the JoCo Cruise. I'm planning a special show to celebrate the new upcoming They Might Be Giants album.

Other friends of mine also do their own shows on the station.  Laura and Arjay do Saturday nights, in which Arjay plays a very Dr. Demento-ish set.  Sir Roric does Sunday afternoons with his collection of old school soul, and my fellow barbershopping brother Vinny does Sunday nights featuring the best of a capella, doo-wop, and barbershop.

We are looking for other DJs as well, so if you might be interested, please let me know!

• As long as we're promoting Sea Monkey stuff...

The GF (and fellow Sea Monkey) designed a Plush Fortune Cookie for a contest put on by Squishable. If she gets enough high ratings, they'll actually make it.

You can vote for it here and see some other great designs from other hopeful plush designers here:

• I don't personally sell stuff, but a lot of people liked my health/mana potion earrings/necklace and dice earrings/necklace.  My good friend (who wants to be a SeaMonkey, but is a teacher and can't get the week off) sells items through Etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/extracrafticular

She has dice earrings, pie earrings (March 14th is coming soon!), potion earrings, and assorted meeples earrings.  She also takes requests for necklaces and other earrings :)

• edited March 2013
    I have nothing to sell personally, but I'll leave a couple of links here of things from me or others I want to you to buy.

My YouTube Page of Destiny

My SoundCloud of Courage

My Group of Grandeur (now only 3 years behind, so adding our individual YouTube accounts too!)

My Commissioned Work of Wonder (album by Stemage, inspired by Iwadare, donates to Japan's Red Cross)

Just Buy this Album, because track 10 is made of WIN, and also a Doubleclick! Plus he lives near me ;).

• Hi Seamonkeys!  I'm in a newly-formed geek duo called Copy Red Leader, and we've got a new CD out:

PIRATE ELVES IN SPACE

It's a compilation of a couple projects between my bandmate (Devin Melanson) and me (Leslie Hudson), plus a few tracks by our friend and filk songwriter extraordinaire, Kari Maaren.

Songs inspired by the universes of Star Wars, Tolkien, Sherlock Holmes, and The Princess Bride, from folk to blues to hard rock.

If any of you remember me singing my song "Tatooine Blues" acappella during the open mic show on JCCC3, now you can hear it again with a backing band.

Hope you enjoy it!
    Leslie

• Oh cool! Now I'll have something to link to if I upload my video of that open mic perfornance to YouTube (hey @Leslie, do you mind if I upload my video of your open mic performance?)
  • Sorry @Angelastic - I haven't been back here in a couple weeks.  Sure, go ahead! :)

Copy Red Leader : Website  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Bandcamp
  • I should have thought of this before now... 
    The a capella group I'm in (and @Haplo has been in) is doing a kickstarter:

It's ending soon, so probably this is far too late.  Whoops.  But anyhow, if you want to hear songs about Norse mythology with fun harmonies, check us out. :)
  • Well after meeting so many wonderful and creative folks on JCCC3 i decided to go back to school part time for design and media. Well as a result of that I've been sharing my work on Facebook but now i'm launching my T-shirts! I'm using Redbubble to print  and distribute them so please take look (and perhaps buy some!)

I'll be adding new designs as they come to be but if you have any ideas for shirts that you would like made (or any other ideas) let me know as I'm trying to build my design portfolio.

• I'm featured on the latest episode of Caffeinated Comics! It always amazes me when we can make a thing out of what we might otherwise just use as a "chat."

The first half is even better and includes and interview with Huston Hiddleston, the guy who is rescuing/restoring the TNG Enterprise bridge. 

• DC Monkeys-  I'll be playing Oboe in  Man of La Mancha with the Aldersgate Church Community Theater for the next two weekends:

Friday/Saturday 8pm
    Sunday 2pm

• edited July 2013
    I know we have a few Minecraft fans in the Sea Monkey Collective.  I have been making Minecraft Youtube videos since early 2012 and decided to start posting daily Minecraft videos April 1, 2013.   If you enjoy Minecraft and like watching gameplay/commentary style game videos please check out: http://www.youtube.com/user/scotigarbidis  It has been a lot of fun and I have already met so many amazing people playing Minecraft on different servers and doing different contests/challenges.

Also I welcome feedback, positive and negative, because it will only help me improve my videos.

Cheers & Happy Gaming!
    Scoti Garbidis
  • I'm not sure this counts as buzz marketing but I wanted to share: I made a video game! Ok, technically it is a Flash game. And as it was part of a 48-hour game jam, it is not a particularly GOOD Flash game. I am still proud of it, in part because I got a great artist and writer on my team to class up my mediocre idea. The game is called "Molly Lewis in Ukulele ATTACK! Episode 1: A Plea From A Cat Named Stephen Fry" and you can play it on the iamagamer game jam site. The theme of the jam was "Strong Female Protagonists" so I made a game about Molly Lewis fighting ... alien...blob things with a ukulele. And a cat. You should play it, it's quite short.

If you don't know what a game jam is, the concept is "try to make an entire game in a weekend." I've never done one before but it was a ton of fun.
  • It is, indeed, cool. Though when I played, the Jell-O shots kept beating Molly.
  •  Just in case any of you folks haven't heard through the Book of Face, I put together a Kickstarter to record my version of Survivor and a few other songs in a similar vein.  You can check out the project (and tell all your friends about it) at Breaking an Angry Silence
  • Bit of a post today to let people know I'm giving a rough deadline for things you may want me to make before JCCC : http://www.jadegordon.com/main/2013/09/16/1743/
  • In an effort to pull together funds to bring Paul and Storm to the SF/Bay Area for an ice cream and guacamole house concert, I'm throwing together a few quirky fundraisers. The first one is fire eating lessons. I know it's got nothing to do with ball pits, ice cream, or guacamole, but it's fun, easy, and hell of impressive at parties! Be warned; It does not taste good! But if you're willing to brave the taste of white gas and love collecting oddball skills like I do, for $50 I will teach you to eat fire and make your own torches. This works best if you're local to me, but we could easily put together a hangout or skype session and do the lesson that way. If you're interested, drop me a DM, and we can start talking about kevlar and white gas and flames in your face!