JCCC3 - a call for pictures.

edited February 2013 in JoCo Cruise
as we were the ones hauling giant duck and swan across coco cay, we dont have any pictures of said adventures.  anyone posting images online that has a shot of us?

that being said, I have some very funny images I will post a link to as soon as I have a bit of time to do some work on it.
Aunti Laura

Comments

• I saw giant duck but didn't get the camera out in time.

I salute giant duck.
  • I saw the duck, but where were the monkey and chicken?
  • @chetman Do not forget to add them (yours seem pretty duplicate-free) to the JCCC3 Flickr Group!
  • On my list today!
  • Hey, @aliceandstuff, is the protocol to add them all, or to add only favorites? 
  • Huh. Link's not working for me.
  • Please add only your best pictures to the flickr group. The group becomes un-browsable when it's filled up with duplicates of various out-of-focus angles on the same empty stage.

(I hate to sound cranky, but every year multiple people put in their entire memory card, which, with a group this size, means it's instantly unusable.)
  • I put in 12. Is that reasonable, or should I cull further?
  • It's not so much the number as the content. Fifty pictures that are all showing different, awesome things that happened: Great! Five pictures in a row of the same blurry attempt to take a picture of a performer on a dark stage in a dark theater from the back row using the iPhone's flash: KILL IT WITH FIRE.
  • @chetman Your photos are great! As Tracy said it's not about the number so much as the interestingness. Personally photos of Sea Monkeys and memorable events capture my interest far more than scenery, but any big run of similar photos (whether it be of a performer on stage, the game room, or an underwater adventure) will make me skim right by.
  • I tried to keep the ones I added interesting, if anyone thinks a few should be culled, let me know.

I'm still working my way through pics.
  • Thanks, Sara. 

Every time I'm in a theater with people using flash, I die a little inside. I mean, seriously. All my shots are with available light, which is super easy in a theater setting if your camera has a manual mode (you don't even need a fancy camera with interchangeable lenses). 
  • Did anyone happen to get video of my performance of Rob Balder's "Gamer Funk" (the first time I've ever tried it live) at the karaoke bar? Want Rob to see it.
  • @chetman Using a flash during a performance is my pet peeve too.  It is disruptive to the performance and probably blinding to the performers.  I stopped bringing my camera to most performances because I don't have a long, fast lens and I know a lot of others do and will post their photos to the Flickr group.
  • Yeah, I would never use flash at a show.  I've got a f/1.4 50mm (equivalent) prime that I use for shows and such. If I'm just posting for the web anyways, cropping is more than sufficient and gives me usable photos, even from in back.
  • edited February 2013
    You performed Gamer Funk, and I missed it? Darnit, I was just debating recommending Rob Balder as a performer (even just for Rich Fantasy Lives and the fun of asking him to sign my Baldbox CD he'd be worth it.)

If there's not enough light to take pictures without flash at a concert, the stage lighting people are not doing their jobs well (ETA: but that still doesn't mean you should take pictures with flash.)
  • Science Fair pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/jccc3sciencefair/

If anyone else took any Science Fair photos, please tag them with jccc3sciencefair (or "JCCC3 Science Fair").
  • edited February 2013
    @Angelastic Yep; I did a karaoke MP3+G for Gamer Funk -- employing the original high quality MP3 that Rob used as a backing track -- and performed it at the Friday karaoke session. Also prepared My Fantastic Plastic Girl for @Oboewan to perform the same evening.

Rob would be a great guest for the cruise.
  • My main point about not using a flash in a theater isn't even the annoyance factor (though that's certainly part of it). It's that it won't do you any good. Most folks are WAY too far away, and the camphone or point & shoot flash is too tiny. The inverse square law is not your friend in this instance.

@rangerrick: Would your 50/1.4 equivalent be the Panasonic/Leica 25mm/1.4? I LOVE that lens. Most of my shots here, though, were with the Olympus 45/1.8, which is a 90mm equivalent. Maybe by next year I'll have acquired something longer -- Oly makes a 75mm/1.8, but it's spendy. Still, 150mm equivalent for shows would be AWESOME. 
  • @chetman It would, indeed.  That lens is FANTASTIC.  I'm lusting after the Oly 75mm, despite the price. I normally shoot hockey games, and having that fast prime would be so useful.  Maybe by next year.... :)
  • For all you Flickr monkeys:  How worth it is it upgrade to Pro?
  • If you don't have Pro, people can only see your last 200 photos. There are probably other advantages to Pro, but I got Pro because I was too lazy to move somewhere else when I had more than 200 photos.
  • Also, Flickr is improving drastically lately, and the Pro deal is pretty damn cheap ($25 a year, I think). 

I don't think you have the organization options (collections and sets) if you don't have pro, either.

@rangerrick I shot Canon for 5 years, until my kit got nicked in a robbery in September. I was itching to upgrade, and really thought I'd go full frame. But with my whole kit gone (it wasn't much -- crappy zoom, 50mm prime, decent flash, 2007-era Rebel body), I could start over on any platform I wanted.

So I got the Oly E-M5. It looked great on paper, but once I got it in my hands I really fell in love with it. I went body only, plus two primes (the Pana/Leica plus the Oly 45mm), and have since grabbed the Pana 14/2.8. I think the 75 would round out a pretty solid toolbox, honestly. 

Though I do kinda want a proper flash. 
  • Out of collections, sets and galleries, I almost always pick the wrong one when trying to find the kind of groups of photos I actually have. But Flickr has a community and a JoCo song, so I can handle it. I think you only get detailed stats with a pro account, and I just looked at mine and realised somebody must have tweeted that Hodgman-horse-hottub photo.
  • I re-tweeted it, but don't recall who made it pop up in my timeline.

I'd love to include it in a post about the cruise on my blog. I'll use the Flickr embed mojo rather than making a copy, but only if it's okay with you.
  • Without pro you get 200 photos visible (the older ones are still stored and will magically appear if you upgrade to Pro), I think 3 sets and there are limitations on what kind of video you can upload. You get access to stats and the website will not have Ads while you browse. 

The way organization on Flickr works is:
    Sets - groups of your photos
    Colllections - Groups of your sets
    Galleries - A group of other people's photos, up to 17 or some random number.
  • edited February 2013
    @chetman: Ah, you also asked that on Flickr and I responded that it was fine and then changed the default license for my photos. :)

ETA: Bahahahaha, nice description, @RangerRick.
  • Yep, I did. Wasn't sure you'd see it there vs. here. Thanks for your reply!
  • edited February 2013
    My main point about not using a flash in a theater isn't even the
    annoyance factor (though that's certainly part of it). It's that it
    won't do you any good.
    Agreed, as far as it goes.  Now let's talk about how flash can mess up the picture.  The lighting in a theater is part of the show.  If you're trying to capture the show, don't even try to change the lighting.  And for heaven's sake, if you're trying to take a photo of something projected on a screen, flash can only wash out the image.  It's not terribly relevant to this discussion, but I'm always dumbstruck when I see someone at a dimly-lit aquarium trying to take photos through foreground glass with flash, since the result is invariably an image totally dominated by the flash reflecting off the glass.
  • My husband (Atom, the staff photographer) has posted all of his photos on his website on the JCCC3 page and in the Flickr group. Feel free to use any of them for personal use (FB, Twitter, whatever) with attribution. Higher res versions and prints are available too - details on the page. The site mentions a "pay what you want" type of situation for high-res images, just to partially defray his costs, but it's totally optional - just email him if you have questions. Or ask me, because I'm likely sitting right next to him and can ask.
  • Just saw the big new dance party shot, and I think my favorite part is how seamlessly he's stitched 3 images. However, I think the result will be either terrifying or awesome for ProfBeard, as I'm pretty sure there are two Wendys in it (directly below the two Os in Atom's watermark).
  • @chetman yes, unfortunately the stitching software sometimes duplicates people, especially when they move between shots - there is a duplicate head in the beardalo panorama - but overall I think the stitching is pretty great.
  • Oh, it's utterly seamless. I don't mean it as a dig at ALL. I had to go to my own pix to convince myself, and I don't think anyone who didn't know Wendy, and wasn't looking very carefully at that area (which is the area that would've included me, had I been in the shot), would notice. 
  • I'm in the beard panorama! YES! They called me a fake, but I didn't listen. I'm looking down and you can't see my beard very well, but I'm there.
  • @Kathleen is your husband's name actually Atom, or is that a nickname? I thought it might be a clever literary reference.
  • @BrettGlass it's a nickname. It's a mostly-homophone of his real name, Adam.
  • @chetman didn't take it as a dig at all! I'm actually pretty impressed with the stitching myself. And I'm glad that the beardalo photos I shot worked so well for the panorama too.
  • Awww, my dreams have been squashed. I was really hoping Atom was his actual name.

Oh well, my nephew's name is actually Quantum.