JCCC3: Surf Monkeys

edited January 2013 in JoCo Cruise
I promise, I looked hard for an existing discussion on this topic.  There have been some mentions from myself and others in generic threads, but not much. So... here's a thread dedicated to the topic.  You will find that I am quite interested in the Flowrider, and you are welcome to laugh about that.

#1  I can't reserve Flowrider Lessons on the RCI site.  Is it already fully booked?  Is the JoCo group blocked from this?  Is the thing broken?  I have asked RCI both on the phone and email, and could not get an answer at all.

#2 @drrock422 mentioned in another thread the ability to have a group reservation.  I would definitely be interested in this.  Anyone else?  Is it even possible?

#3 @JoCo is not seen surfing the Flowrider in the site inspection video Zamboni Punch.  Why?  Did he try, but the footage is too damaging to his ego? Are the lines too long and you decided not to push the kids away whilst saying "Step aside, we're making a video here."

#4 Should I have asked about this stuff on the Site Inspection thread?  Yes.

Comments

• By the way, the error I get when trying to add a Flowrider Lesson is:

ErrorOnline reservations for FlowRider Lessons are currently not available for your sailing. If your cruise vacation begins more than two months from today, please visit the website closer to your sail date. Please note that certain itineraries preclude online reservations, but they may be available onboard.
  • @sandman I am awaiting confirmation of this; but my recollection is that they only do Flowrider reservations for lessons once you are on board. I can't speak to the reason(s) this might be--could be because the schedule can change at the last minute, maybe.

When we first asked, RCI was reluctant to reserve us a particular slot exclusively for Sea Monkeys, due to its "one at a time" nature and limited time it's available while at sea. That said, if you we're to organize a specific group of 10 or 20 people (or whatever), we would be happy to ask them again. (It might make a difference if we have a specific group with a specific number of people)

Re: Jonathan on the Flowrider: some things are not fit for human eyes. (Also, when they were filming, I believe the line was too long and there was too much other footage to get)

P
  • @paulandstorm Thank you!

Okay Surf Monkeys!  Now is the time to come out and show yourselves!!  Let's get a large enough group pulled together.

• edited January 2013
    I would love to try this, provided my shoulder is sufficiently functional.

ETA: I was assuming stand-up surfing. I'd still be interested in boogie boarding but less enthusiastic.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm game.

Edit: I think I'd prefer stand-up, but really, I'm good either way. :) Also, I'm speaking for my husband too. +2
  • I'd give it a shot.
  • edited January 2013
    Definitely interested.

ETA - Would prefer standing, but would participate in either.
  • I am eager to fall on my ass for the amusement of others.  :)
  • I haven't surfed in ages! It looks highly entertaining :D
  • Follow-up: you will all likely have to agree on one particular style if you want to attend as a larger group: either stand-up surfing, or boogie boarding.

P
  • Alright, to be specific... We're looking at the potential group reservation of the Flowrider.  I assume this will be a paid venture, unless @paulandstorm work their magic and somehow get it for us for free.  To quote @drrock422 quoting Cruise Critic:

"Individuals, or groups looking to "free-surf" without an instructor can book the Flowrider for $350 per hour, with no limit to the total number of participants (50 percent no-show fee will be charged if you don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance)."

Also, booking this ahead of time is only a possibility, and booking on board could happen instead. I'd still like to gauge the interest in a (likely paid) group reservation of the Flowrider.  Let's say we end up with 20 Surf Monkeys.  We could pwn the Flowrider for 2 hours at about $35 each, using the price quoted above... which sounds reasonable.

-jeff
  • edited January 2013
    @paulandstorm Oooh.  Interesting twist... well, ok... let's do this:

In your "I'm interested" post, mention if you don't care which style, if you would prefer one style over the other (standing or not), or if you would only do it at all if it were one particular style.

Yeah, I'll probably make a spreadsheet.
  • I am interested!   (duh)

I would prefer standing style over boogie board.

Most of the reason I would go with standing style, if being forced to choose only one, is that standing is not an option on the similar Flowrider attraction at my nearby waterpark Schlitterbahn.  I see it as a more unique opportunity.
  • edited January 2013
    It looks like we probably won't have enough interest in a group reservation, given the complication of the entire group having to agree to one style (standing or not), and some amount of money that is likely required. 

However, I could still organize an unofficial takeover!  Any suggestions on day/time?  I wonder when it might have the least amount of snorks in line for it.  @paulandstorm ?

• I'm interested. I'd prefer standing style.
  • Hi @paulandstorm, All,

It is now possible to book Flowrider Lessons on the RCI website.  I hadn't tried for a few days, so I think they just came online recently.

NOTE:  The lessons are $60 for one hour.

I booked lessons at two different times because the JCCC3 schedules aren't out yet.  Once I see which one of my lessons conflicts with FREE BOOZE PARTY, I will be cancelling that one.

• edited January 2013
    Interesting.  More info:

"Note: There is a maximum of eight guests and a minimum of four guests required for each personal lesson. If the minimum requirement is not met, then the lesson will be rescheduled to a new time that is convenient."

Could someone check to see if they have the option to reserve 7:00pm on Day 1?  It's no longer available for me as I already reserved that time.  I am assuming that at least 3 other individuals would need to sign up for that time or they cancel it.  I don't think that will be an issue... but I also don't like the maximum being 8 guests.  That means $60 for a 7 minute lesson.  Right?

It's that or I'm responsible for bringing 3 other guests...  which would certainly be my choice.
  • Yeah nevermind, I'm sure anyone can sign up until its full (8).

I signed up for 7pm on Day 1, like I said, but I have a feeling there will be a JCCC party during that time.  I also signed up for 5:45pm on Day 2  (we leave CocoCay at 4pm).  Yes, that will be at the same time as the JCCC official dinner.  That means only the snorks will be there to laugh at me.  Also, you know what mom says about surfing right after you eat.  So, I'll eat after that if I stick with that reservation.

• The dinner block is scheduled from 5:30-7:30pm every day (except maybe Sunday, where it looks like 6-8pm). So, both times you've chosen may not be compatible with eating, unless you skip the main dining room. Also, Coco Cay looks like it's one of the Formal Dinners, so you'd be missing out on all of the Sea Monkey finery! I cannot recommend that as a course of action... especially if that turns out to be night of the Mustache Formal.
  • @rhaje is correct: this year, we're at the early dinner seating, which is 5:30 (!) pm -- EXCEPT for the first day, when we'll go at 6 pm instead. This is to allow enough time for the sail-away (which is at 4:30 pm) followed by our Welcome Cocktail Party. YOU WILL NOT BE SHORTCHANGED YOUR FULL HOUR OF FREE DRINKS, DAMMIT!

Storm and Jonathan and I just had a conference call to officially finalize the main events schedule today; so very soon we hope to be able to release it to the masses (that's you).

Jeebus, I just said "soon" again, didn't I? :)

P
  • Thanks @rhaje.  However, looking at all times available, unless I take 10:45am on one of the couple days that is available (which I won't, because I like to sleep in and have breakfast room service about as late as possible)... then pretty much the only options are in the evening, which mostly overlap our dinner slot.  There are 9pm slots available, but at that point I'm already going to be too drunk to take advantage of a lesson.

We'll see when the JCCC3 schedule comes out.
  • Paul, I am really hoping to get another awesome Google Calendar for the JCCC3 schedule.  That was a true highlight of the trip, as weird as that sounds.  I had my electronic thingamabob in my pocket almost all the time, which would remind me when events were coming up.  (also someone made a sweet app for thingamabobs that had all the events and deck plans in it which was also great, wonder if that's happening again, I'll have to search around for that).

• S O O N

• Can we get SOON glasses with Os for eyes for the welcome party? 8D
  • Thanks to Jd for the link to this from RCI.

"Lines for the FlowRider can be long for most of the cruise.  Try to hit it up as soon as you embark upon Freedom of the Seas on the first day or during port days."

I'm not sure I'll go straight to the FlowRider after stepping on the boat, though it's possible that I might... Regarding JCCC group takeover, this may or may not be a good time, since people will be slowly boarding over time.  Also, I imagine almost all Sea Monkeys want to get off the boat for all ports.

If you are thinking about following this suggestion of hitting the Flowrider very soon after you get on the boat, let us know here.  Definitely bring your bathing suit in your carry-on luggage.  Also, ladies, it is recommended that you wear a shirt over your suit.  These rides like to remove your tops.
  • "These rides like to remove your tops."

These rides should keep their hands to themselves. No means no!
  • alas, no novelty 'SOON" sunglasses.  but you can be 'COOL'  http://www.orientaltrading.com/word-glasses-a2-50_111.fltr
  • @angelastic @AuntiLaura DYI SOON glasses can be had with the addition of some strategically bent pipe cleaners.
  • I might have to sport a SOON moustache... sounds hard, though.
  • I'm definitely interested in doing this, but will wait until I see the official schedule to figure out when it would work out best.
  • By the way, I have also seen similar surf rides remove bottoms, so even guys need to ensure that their swimsuits are on tight.
  • Yep, that is a good point.  If it happens to you, you're probably going to need a Wang Wang.
  • FYI, the Flowrider is broken, RCI lameness continues.
  • Ok so 2 days later I got the lesson, it was fun, but I am sore and bruised just in time for St. Thomas!