Please post all google docs/links/schedules as they are/groups etc

edited January 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Here in one central place.  I'm going to try and get organized on the wiki, but it's hard to sift through all the different threads. 

Groups:
Group name:
Group contact: Someone's email address that can be contacted for the thing
Purpose of Group: People who are from Canada, people who have been on all the JCCC, etc
Open/closed: Are you open to admitting more members to this group?

Event:
Event type: (ie exercise, snorkeling, ice skating reading)
Event Contact:
Extra cost? (yes or no is sufficient - the actual price may not be set)
Official? (yes or no, I expect most to be no)
Tentative schedule: (keep in mind everything is pending when the official schedule comes out and there may need to be wrangling done)
Open/Closed:

Google spreadsheets:
Purpose of the sheet (travel to radisson or port canaveral or disney or whatever)
Address of the spreadsheet
Still accepting new poolers?

Dining groups:
How many in your party:
How many extra MAX are you willing to have in your group:
What nights you want to adopt a SeaMonkey maybe traveling alone:

Excursions:
Official: yes/no
Type: (snorkeling, sandcastle building etc)
Port planned:
Extra fee involved?: yes/no (don't need the cost)
Open/closed?  Is this even open or closed to people wanting to join?

I'll start with my information on first post.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Group: Dance Monkey Dance (pending approval from others)
    me [email protected] or tihgur (I think she won't mind I'm volunteering her here ;) )
    Extra cost:
    No
    Official: No
    Purpose: to learn some new dance styles and share steps amongst dancers.  no previous experience needed!
    Tentative schedule: During the day on days at sea.  Weather will influence things I would guess
    Open to any.  Need clothes to move in.
  • Group: Book Monkeys
    Contact SapphireMind [email protected]
    Extra cost None
    Official No
    Tentative schedule During prime sun hours, I will be reading and available to share books from my library. 
    Open to any, will need device to read on. 
  • Spreadsheet:  People who need roundtrip transport from MCO to Port Canaveral on day of arrival/departure
    Address:  Google spreadsheet
    Open
  • Group: Pale Monkeys

Extra cost: No

Purpose of the group: For other people who have skin that is extremely sensitive to the sun and so stay out of it during the worst times of day, preferring indoor pursuits instead and maybe trying rockclimbing/wavejamming etc either really early or really lafte. Anything during the day will be under cover!
  • Event type: Speed Meeting
    Event Contact: [email protected]
    Extra cost? No
    Official? No...I think...
    Tentative
    schedule
    : Multiple instances early on during JCCC3.
    Open/Closed: Participation is open, planning group is closed.
  • bump.  I'll add your stuff to the wiki if you add it here.  Or you can do it to the wiki yourself.  :D
  • hi! i'm apollo, and i'm a jocopedia admin.

i'm not 100% sure how i feel about adding these to the wiki as they are unofficial/very plentiful. i'm just not certain that they warrant documentation on the wiki, exactly. particularly since JCCC is such an exclusive event! (at least, from a financial standpoint) i think the wiki might be a little overloaded with JCCC information. if these groups are going to be documented, then maybe they could all be culled on one page/section of a page, rather than each getting their own page. a template might be a good idea, too.
  • Thank you, @Apollo.
  • @Apollo hey, thanks for checking in! I was hoping cruise-specific wiki edits would be cordoned off into a cruise-specific section, and, yes, I don't see a need to have separate pages for each of these activities.

As for the larger question of whether cruise stuff satisfies JoCopedia guidelines of notability :) I'm not sure what the right answer is. The arguments against putting all of this on the wiki are sorta similar to the arguments for taking it off the forums and onto the wiki: too much clutter, relevant only to a limited subset of fans, somewhat antithetical to existing forum/wiki conventions and best practices. The difference, I think, is that on the wiki it's somewhat easier for non-cruisegoers to avoid cruise-specific pages, assuming of course that said pages are actually cordoned off.

From a purely utilitarian and non-philosophical standpoint, the wiki seems to me to be easier to use for bulletin-board purposes: trying to announce things on the forums is difficult because there's a lot of non-announcement chatter (people responding to announcements will make it harder to find the original announcement or any updates) and threads get pushed off the page. Also, only the original poster or a mod can edit posts, so it's hard to have a collaborative "gather all announcements" forum post.

Generally, I'm also conflicted about how to best encourage participation in wikis -- I'm always in favor of low barriers to entry, but I also believe very strongly in having wiki formatting and organizational guidelines, and "learn proper wiki formatting and organizational guidelines" can kinda be a large barrier to entry. The right way, I suppose, is to have a team of knowledgeable people doing what @Apollo's kinda doing on her own... but as I haven't had the time to be such a person, I'm not really of much help here.

I wonder if we could set up a separate namespace in the wiki for cruise-specific pages? That might help alleviate some of @Apollo's concerns, having a clear indication that those pages are more of a sandbox than encyclopedic articles. Then it'd be up to you in-crowders :P to determine what kind of style you want to enforce for cruisetalk.
  • I could have sworn I posted something before  >.>  <.< 

Since it is an official JoCo event, I do think it is very appropriate to have on JoCo webspace.  A very fleshed-out cruise info space does not actually affect any other wiki pages, to the best of my knowledge. 

I'm sure it is not intended at all, but it is coming off a little as though some people are trying to put a damper on the enthusiasm of things a little.  It makes me disappointed.  Of all the places in the world where I would have thought I could let my unabashed nerdy geeky obsessively excited side come out to play, I would have thought this would be the place.
  • @SapphireMind Not sure if I'm one of the damperers you're referring to, but since I'm one of the only non-cruisers posting these days, I'll take the liberty of apologizing :)

Let me be clear that I love that people are enthusiastic about the cruise, and I really don't think that even if I tried, I could find a way to stop people from being enthusiastic about it! As a forum moderator, though, I do have other concerns in mind -- making sure the board is reasonably well organized (which this thread, despite my current derailment, is actually really helpful with, so thank you for this!) and trying not to exclude people who are not going on the cruise. (We've had some people, including longstanding forum members, talk about not feeling completely welcome on the boards any more, and I do want to be sensitive to this, even if it's the cruise and not JoCo music that most people seem to be geeking out about these days.)

To be fair, of course, there is not a lot of time left before the cruise right now, so it's entirely to be expected that there's a lot of cruise-related traffic right now. I would not will it to be otherwise. All I'm trying to do is shepherd a little, and if that comes across as my trying to restrain people's excitement, I do regret that.

I don't want to disrupt this thread any further talking about this :) If anyone has further concerns about my, er, conduct? then please take it to a more appropriate thread, or PM me -- I am more than willing to e-listen.
  • For me, the most significant point is from @Apollo "if these groups are going to be documented, rather than each getting their own page. a template might be a good idea"

I believe this is in reference to the recently added "Unofficial Groups" section. Correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, there are a number of "hanging" pages that have been unnecessarily created. They also do not follow the wiki template. Perhaps just eliminating these pages would help? Having a link to the appropriate forum discussion may suffice.

• While I understand @Apollo's desire for order on the wiki (and thank you for all your efforts on that end!) I find myself supporting the inclusion of unofficial cruise groups over there. The fact is I find forums tolerable as asynchronous communication but AWFUL for reference, especially with search broken.

Seeing all the different groups in one tidy list was incredibly soothing to me, and I can only imagine how helpful it would be to newbies who are trying to get a handle on this whole cruise thing. In that respect it will be a useful reference in the future, as a record of the sort of things that happened on JCCC3.

Of course, a more organised system/template would be beneficial, since many of us are of the obsessive-about-order nerd subtype. (; I admit this is part of why I don't contribute much to the wiki—I can't come up with the perfect hierarchical organisation schema for the information I want to add! I support the current list on the JCCC3 page and, if individual pages for each group are too much to ask, at least one page with a brief summary of each group in addition to the forum link.

Sorry I haven't said anything before, @SapphireMind, as I understand why some of the reactions you've gotten may seem offputting! As @Bry mentioned, there's a bit of history to our approach to cruise enthusiasm in the general JoCo community that you wouldn't have known about. I'm happy you're excited! Please continue to be. (:
  • I have no issues with making templates (though I don't really know how to do it, I'm willing to learn!)

I would just like for there to be a space we can try and put stuff together and organize.  As the cruise grows in popularity, it's going to have growing pains too, and things that may not have been needed/wanted/thought of on earlier cruises may become go-to ideas in the future. 

I know the goal of everyone is to have tons of JoCo themed fun on board, and make sure no one feels left out of the loop.  :)
  • hiiii guys sorry again that I haven't checked the forum in ages! :[

If it hasn't been done already I can make a template for information about the groups and maybe we can stick them all on one page in the forthcoming Cruise: namespace.