JCCC: If I could offer you only one tip for the cruiser, sunscreen would be it.

edited January 2013 in JoCo Cruise

As JCCC3 approaches, thought I'd restart the annual thread about sunscreen. Myself, I'll be bringing what I believe to be the best sunscreen in the world, which is not sold in US stores but can be had on eBay: RoC Minesol Lait SPF 50+. It doesn't photodegrade and is very resistant to sweat. In my work -- I work outdoors most days of the year -- I've found this product to last longer and protect better than any American sunscreen, including those claiming to have an SPF of 100. (Note that Minesol may really be close to SPF 100, because EU regulations cap the SPF they can claim on the bottle at 50.) Two alternatives that can be bought in the US and work almost as well are Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 60+ and Banana Boat Natural Reflect SPF 50+ (new this year). Both of these are mineral sunscreens containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, so like Minesol (which has titanium dioxide plus four organic active ingredients) they do not lose their effectiveness in 60-90 minutes as do American sunscreens. Which sunscreen do you prefer? Time to stock up now for the cruise!

Comments

• I used the Neutrogena last year with great results. Was in the water for two hours in Aruba and didn't burn. I've been known to burn and blister in less than an hour when in the water with other sunscreens.
  • edited February 2013
    My wife swears by the Neutrogena "Sensitive Skin" mineral sunscreen. She has very sensitive skin and doesn't want to expose it to any chemical sunscreen, even if it is claimed not to be absorbed. The Banana Boat product was developed to compete with Neutrogena's and has very similar amounts of the active ingredients.
  • +1 on the Neutrogena. It keeps me pasty-white and not-at-all burnsy (and with my genetics, that's no small task). I use the Sport version in the spray can, but still rub it on for even distribution.

In general, when I moved from the Detroit area to Houston 4 years ago, my cost-of-living decreased. Except for my sunscreen budget. Since there were sometimes whole months in Detroit where I never even SAW sunlight, that took a bit of getting used to.
  • edited January 2013
    I am what I commonly refer to as "perma-pale" - I do not tan. I burn easily, so I avoid the bright thing in the sky. I've learned to love my pale skin, even if it means that makeup options are greatly limited. Obviously, sunscreen is a MUST.

I'm also partial to Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunscreens. After using the sadly no-longer-available SPF 70 and SPF 100+ versions with great success over the years, I'll be giving the SPF 55 a try. I'm fairly confident the lower SPF will work fine. *fingers crossed*

I'll also recommend Cetaphil SPF 50 facial moisturizer. I have sensitive skin and it works very well. It definitely feels/smells like sunscreen, but I don't care since I only use it when I need the extra SPF. (I use Philosophy Hope in a Jar for Dry Skin SPF 20 normally).

Don't forget your hats and sunglasses too!

ETA - It looks like they do still make the SPF 100+ version of the UIltra Sheer.
  • edited February 2013
    The Neutrogena "Ultra Sheer" sunscreens feel really good on your skin, but unlike the "Sensitive Skin" variety they are not mineral sunscreens. They use the same brew of chemical sunscreens that you'll find in most US products. They'll only work for an hour or so before the active ingredients break down in the sun. So, if you use any American chemical sunscreens, make sure to reapply them! I forgot and got burned.
  • I just checked Amazon for Neutrogena sunblock and noticed they have something called Ultimate Sport that goes up to SPF 70 in lotion and SFP 100 in spray.  Does anyone know about this one?
  • edited January 2013
    The Neutrogena "Ultimate Sport" sunblocks have the same active ingredients (Avobenzone, Oxybenzone, Homosalate, etc.) as the "sport" sunblocks from Banana Boat and Coppertone. Designed to compete directly with them. All are strongly scented -- perhaps with the idea that this will cover up the smell of sweat. They do photodegrade, so reapply.
  • So noted.  I'll get a couple of tubes of the sensitive skin formula.  What would we do without the advice of these forums?!?

Thanks.
  • We have several of the Neutrogena products in varying SPFs that worked great on the Equator in the Galapagos, including a great deal of snorkeling.  we will bring those with
  • I use the Neutrogena sensitive skin formulations and the Walgreens generic version, which seems to work exactly the same and costs less. My husband and I are very pale and have tattoos, and the big round yellowy thing in the sky can fade them, so we are covered with sunblock pretty much always.

The one thing I always have to remember is to apply sunscreen to my scalp where my hair is parted and to the tops of my ears. Even if you're wearing a hat it's a good idea to put some goo on your scalp for maximum sun safety.
  • Getting sunburn on your scalp is the WORST.
  • @aliceandstuff As someone whose "hair" does little to slow down the sun's cancer rays, I tend to agree!  That, and behind the ears.  Oh, and behind the knee (knee pit?).
  • Hair, especially facial hair, only has an SPF of about 8-10. Being bearded, I rub a spray-on liquid in through my beard to protect the skin underneath from heavy sun exposure. It has the added advantage of making my beard nice and glossy.
  • I'll have to check with Chaz Dean to see what the SPF is in his products!
  • Mineral sunscreens FTW. My husband and I (unintentionally) went head to head with another couple last year with sunscreens. Ours was mineral based SPF 30. Theirs was some crazy number typical American sunscreen product. We barely got a tan. They blistered. Mind you we also wore rash guards. This year I have a swim cap to add to my arsenal against the sun. Watch me stay pale!
  • Mineral sunscreens are good, as are coverups and just plain staying out of the sun, which is my plan.  Remember, sunscreen cannot make you impervious to sun, especially if you are naturally pale as death like some of us.  :D  Coverage and staying out of the worst rays is the most important!
  • Back when I lived in a place right by the ozone hole, I recall the relevant authorities recommending sunscreens with titanium oxides (or zinc, of course, but zinc gets everywhere.)  Also, wear hats.
  • Getting sunburn on your scalp is the WORST.
    So freaking true!

• Remember to put the sunscreen on ***BEFORE*** you leave the air conditioning and start sweating.  It needs time to adhere to your skin.  Putting it on once you have started sweating will do you no good.  If I am wearing it that day, I put it on as I am getting dressed and long before I go out into the sun. 

Also, wear a hat.
  • I decided to risk a slight melanoma possibility now to avoid worse later by doing a few trips to the tanning salon in these last two weeks. I tan easily (thanks African ancestry) but as I live in Seattle now, I am paler than I usually am. I will be sunscreening, but since cococay is the first day and it will be so fun that I may forget to reapply after water exposure.  if I get a burn that day it will effect the rest of my week adversely. laying on a little starter tan will help keep that to a minimum. then bring on the sunscreen
  • I hope it works for you.  I did that 15 years ago, and got a pretty decent "pre-tan" for a pale redhead.  I still burned to a crisp on the first day.  The good news is that it only bothered me for one day.  This time I'm planning a combination of faux tan and massive SPF sunblock.  Let's hope I'm not the orange redhead on the cruise!
  • edited January 2013
    Mineral sunscreens? Haven't heard of those, any particular ones I should check out? 

Also, anyone know how humid or breezy it is around there?
    I am weak to heat* + trying to plan clothing for going outside and being in A/C 

* Think this is probably the only time of year I could go this far south :P
  • @palekayle See the suggestions in the first post. I've had good results with all of them. Fellow Sea Monkeys seem to particularly like the Neutrogena "Sensitive Skin 60+" sunscreen.
  • aaaah, missed the part where you said they were mineral sunscreens, thanks! 
  • My only issue with mineral sunscreens is that they're messy. It's like the zinc oxide "white nose," except in a thin film all over you. And on your hands. And on everything you touch.
  • You might not see it, but it's there.
    Sunscreen. Sunscreen.
    Everything you touch.
    Sunscreen. Sunscreen.
    That's right, mineral sunscreen.
  • edited January 2013
    The Minesol Lait SPF 50+ sunscreen I mention at the beginning of the thread has titanium dioxide but not zinc oxide. Makes it less likely to get all over clothing. There are two varieties: a kids' version and an adult one. The active ingredients are the same, but the inactive ones vary. The kids' one has a milder base. The adult one goes on thicker and sticks better, so it stays put really well, even if you sweat.
  • @Colleenky - depending on budget, there is one at Sephora by Josie Maran that's mineral-based, SPF40, and smells fantastic because it's got a bunch of natural essential oils in it. I wear it as my daily moisturizer and it doesn't have that messy residue. It's pricey (of course, it's at Sephora) but they have samples available. There's also another mineral sunscreen that I tried at the drugstore that's sheer, but I can't recall the name. Usually the options for face are less mineral-goopy than the ones for body.
  • for anyone UK based the Minesol suncream is cheap on Amazon at the moment 

• There are also powder based mineral sunscreens.  They work fairly well.  *caveat, I'm paler than a corpse and nothing truly protects me. 
  • I have the BareMinerals powder sun screen too, but it's only 30 SPF, so I'm taking that along with the Neutrogena sensitive skin.
  • edited January 2013
    PIcked up multiple tubes of the Banana Boat Natural Reflect at Walmart the other day.  It came in 'Kids' and "Baby' formulations.  The 'Baby' one claimed to be 'Mild as Water' whatever that means...
  • edited February 2013
    There's very little difference -- sometimes none at all! -- between the "Baby," "Kids'," regular, and "Sport" versions of Playtex/Banana Boat products. The ingredient lists are often identical. (The varieties that don't actually vary are mainly for marketing purposes, to get more product facings on the shelves and to get themselves into every category if the store shelves them that way.) Sometimes there's a scent in a regular or sport version that's omitted in the others, but I don't think any of the "Natural Reflect" products are scented.
  • It's supposed to mean it won't burn your eyes when it runs.....whether it is true or not is open for discussion  :)
  • edited January 2013

FWIW- me = bald/pale just like my avatar and I picked up the Neutrogina 60 stuff @brettglass mentioned and that + my hat = zero sunburn in 2012.....
  • I just don't go outside in the sun during the day  :)
  • @SapphireMind I don't understand why anyone would, it's nearly impossible to see your laptop screen.
  • As someone who works with a bunch of dermatologists, I have to caution that not only do the "pre-tans" not work, you are increasing your cancer-causing exposure to UV. 

The American Dermatologist Association recommends that tanning booths/table be taken off the market and not used by ANYONE (except for a few skin issues that benefit from some UV and only under supervision of a doctor). 

So, please DO NOT waste your time and money increasing your chances of melanoma and go purchase a gallon of sunscreen.
  • Or hang out with the pale monkeys and stay out of the sun entirely.

My derm was very impressed by my pale-i-tude. 
  • Three days at Universal with the Neutrogena SPF 60+ that @BrettGlass recommended and I'm still my pasty self. I'm sold.
  • A thing I like about Florida: seemingly every drugstore here has an entire aisle of sunscreen to choose from. We now have enough to keep ourselves as pale as our usual no-sun-exposure selves.
  • I am sort of ASTONISHED that I got away without any sunburn, or really much tanning, and it's not because I was inside the whole time. We were outside at the beach the whole time at Coco Cay, plus biking in St Thomas and sailing in St Maarten. 

Even my uberpale wife had only slight burns on her shoulders from a careless afternoon on deck early in the week. 
  • I owe a significant debt to the lovely Cybil (I hope I spelled that right) who offered me some of her high-quality sunscreen to protect me on that America's Cup sailing trip. I have no doubt from the feel of the sun that my cheap spray-on stuff would have faltered and left me miserable, whereas instead I spent a good several hours in deadly sun on the sea with no appreciable sunburn from it at all. I know that good stuff is not cheap so if I am ever able to return the favor, be it a free drink, or a meal, or holding the door on the escape pod, I intend to reciprocate.

• Adam and I owe Molly and Ben for us not burning (too bad) on Coco Cay. We'd forgotten to bring some and by the time we remembered, the ship store was open. On the island itself, they only had reasonable sized tubes for cash and we hadn't brought any. We bought our own as soon as the ship store opened when we go back to the boat.
  • edited February 2013
    I rubbed Minesol on all exposed surfaces and returned as pale a nerd as when I headed for shore. Tip: Put sunscreen on your shoulders even if you are wearing a fairly opaque shirt.
  • I returned with only a slight sunburn on one shoulder.  But I did have my first ever apparent allergic reaction to sunshine, which I'm sure earns me bonus points for something or other. 

• I didn't burn at all after spending a few hours on Orient Beach (if you are familiar with Orient Beach, this statement is quite impressive). Thanks Neutrogena!
  • We used generic brand sunscreen, and neither I (olive-complected) nor Rob (pale as bedsheets) even got so much as a mild tan. Score one for the cheap bastards! ;-)
  • I used a walgreens sunscreen that was ~85spf + some kinda sport face one.
    Remained pale!
    Although, I was reapplying probably more often than I needed to...