Dance Class on JCCC3?

edited December 2012 in JoCo Cruise
So who's interested in another dance class, specifically to be danced to JoCo music?

I taught Swing on JCCC1, and Swing and One-step (an easy ballroom dance that's good for pop music) on JCCC2.

I'm leaning toward doing that again (swing and one-step), but I could entertain other suggestions if folks have any, and if I know it (there's a fair bit I can teach, including tango, fox trot, waltz, tap, irish...).

So let me know your thoughts and your interest. And perhaps we'll combine it with the I Crush Everything schedule, if they'll have me.

Thanks! (I posted this on the FB group page too.)

Renee

Comments

• I'm up for some more swing! And can help out the newbies again too.
  • edited December 2012
    This is not really the kind of dance you're thinking of, and it might be of interest to an entirely different group of people, but it's a dance-related thing I think could be cool on JCCC3, so I'll post it here.

I've suddenly decided that it's high time I memorised Mike Phirman's Chicken Monkey Duck. And it occurred to me as I was listening to it that we're all monkeys, and there's a dance called the Chicken dance (called the duck dance in French, but that's irrelevant) and an action known as ducking.

It would be hilarious if we could get a group of monkeys to dance to this by flapping their 'wings' as in the chicken dance whenever it says 'chicken' (as if it's a command: Monkey, chicken!) and ducking every time it said 'duck'. Maybe also pointing to each other or doing a monkeyish action (you know, the kind of arms-over-the-head-going-ook-ook pose) when it says 'monkey'. Somewhat similar to the hand symbols @Colleenky and Molly invented on JCCC1, which Mike himself was pretty impressive at, but more energetic and more likely to end up with uncoordinated jumping around and fits of giggling. Going by urban dictionary, we probably shouldn't act out the last word though.

Edit: To make it easier (maybe), we could do it more human-zendrum-style, with specific sections of the group assigned to chickening, monkeying, and ducking, and someone who knows the song really well pointing to them at the right times.
  • I'd be up for a dance class.  Really any kind of dancing, I'm sort of... uh... free style at the moment.  ^_~
  • Awesome! Angelastic, I'm happy to help you come up with something for that, outside of class time. :)

I've requested a time and space for a dance lesson, Mizzie and Gina. Glad you're interested.
  • Oooh, dance classes sound great!  I'm with @mizzie on the "free style" situation so any instruction would be greatly appreciated!
  • If I go on the next cruise, I will definitely host an irish dance class  :) 
  • edited December 2012
    Awesome, SapphireMind. I used to teach Irish as well. Are you not going on JCCC3? If so, maybe we could compare steps. :)
  • I can't.  School is necessary.  I've never taught, just danced  :)  But definitely up for a step-about  :D 
  • I definitely want to! I came in late last time and only caught one-step, so it would be great to catch swing this time! And I need to practice my one-step! Irish also would probably be fun :-D
  • Thanks JolietJake! Glad you could make part of it last time.

Irish definitely is fun, but it isn't as accessible for JoCo's music as swing and one-step. But I'm happy to show you some if you want. Perhaps by the pool or something. :)

I did fill out the venue request form for a dance class (for swing and one-step), so hopefully there'll be something semi-official scheduled. :)

Looking forward to it! Whoa! 37 Days!!! Yoiks!
  • Yep, BrettGlass! I'm teaching swing, which is essentially the same as jitterbug (swing is an umbrella term that includes jitterbug, lindy hop, east coast swing, west coast swing, shag, etc). It'll probably be pretty basic, but if you'd like to find me and do more advanced stuff afterward, we can probably work something out. :)

Glad you'll be there again.
  • This sounds really fun, I did Swing and Tap back in college, and jazz?(showchoir)  a little dance lesson might be just the thing for my wife and I.
  • Awesome, Danial! I teach tap as well. We should trade steps! :)
  • I am going to be there after all.  I'm bringing my hardshoes!
  • Oh, and tiguh, I think you'll find that much of JoCo's music can be irish danced to - most of it is in 4/4 or 3/6 time, suitable for reel or jig :D  You just have to be creative  :D
  • Awesome, SapphireMind! Did you take advantage of the last minute discount?

I don't know if we'll be able to really dance with shoes, cause these places tend to be over-protective about their floors. Plus I'm not sure I want to bring my hard shoes (which are completely falling apart, btw) without knowing for sure that I'll be allowed to wear them. I'll have to think about it. (I thought about doing clogging for the open mic night thing, but I imagine the ship will have a problem with that.) But I'll certainly bring my dance sneakers, which I can definitely do hard shoe in for trading steps and such. I'm excited to trade steps with you! Fun! :)
  • I did! 

I'll bring my dance sneakers too.  I'm not strong enough anymore to damage anyone's floors with my hardshoes - I've been out of class for a while.  ;)  I'm going to be packing fairly light on clothing, so I'll have room for my shoes  :D
  • I've actually been out of class for a while too (essentially), tho I'm actively taking tap. But I could still damage floors, given the opportunity. :) We'll see. I always over-pack and I know that about myself, so maybe I'll bring hard and/or tap shoes anyway, just in case. :D
    So excited!!!!!
  • We did some swing classes before we got married and loved it, but unfortunately for us, we are  both leads.  I can lead stronger due to my height,  but it's apparently quite silly to watch.  SO up for a class.
  • thread necromancy! I would LOVE to do some swing dancing.....
  • Thanks for the vote countzane! At this point, I'm not signed up for JCCC4 yet. We relocated recently and are both un(der)employed, so I don't know if we'll be able to go. But if not, I imagine someone else may take up the reins. We certainly want to come to JCCC4, but it remains to be seen at this point.
  • good luck, tiguh! I won't make it till JCC5 myself, but it's good to be on the radar :)