Desert Bus for Hope: a Charity Drive (feat. JoCo and others)

BryBry
edited November 2012 in Everything Else
Desert Bus for Hope is a fundraiser (I'd say "charity drive" but I used that pun in the thread title already) for Child's Play, in which people pay money so that other people will play the videogame Desert Bus for long periods of time (the only way to play Desert Bus).

[If you're not familiar with Desert Bus, picture the JoCo Cruise: non-stop excitement and adventures with a bunch of interesting people in the middle of a vast expanse of water. Now picture the exact opposite of that.]

The JoCo part of this is that he'll be calling in this Tuesday, Nov. 20, at 11am PST, so if you tune in then to the live webcast at desertbus.org, you can listen to him... calling in (I don't actually know what his call will involve) while you watch people play an intentionally boring videogame. (You can do the second part of this already, as the fundraiser has been going on for a couple days by now.)

Careful readers might note that I don't appear to know anything about DBfH besides what's written on its website. In fact, I've only just found out about it via the blog of another guest. I'm assuming I would've heard a lot sooner if I actually followed people who twit, since it seems like most of the guests have recently been on a certain large watercraft. (Which means, too, that most of the people who will be interested in this will know about it already, which means I probably don't need to advertise it again. Ah, well.)

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Also, I donated a huge pile of CERN stuff, which I understand will be auctioned or something which will be auctioned on Thursday at 4p.m. PST. Including stuff that I don't give away at concerts and on large watercrafts. It's not on the website yet but I understand it will be today. So that might interest some of you.
  • @Bry I was almost surprised that you hadn't heard of Desert Bus, but then I remembered you don't interact with PAX much. They're in their sixth year and kind of a big deal in Penny Arcade circles, which I imagine is how they connected with JoCo etc in the first place. (Fun fact: LoadingReadyRun was one of the acts at w00tstock 2.0 in Seattle.)

If I'd gotten my act together in time I would have donated something for one of the charity auctions! Ah well, maybe next year. At this VERY MOMENT they're auctioning off some Companion Cube pillows and singing Still Alive.

Fans who have been on a certain large watercraft may note that Dammit Liz is a part of the Desert Bus crew this year. I also suggest checking out the pictures at photos.desertbus.org. The photographer is one of my favourite people in the world, and is responsible for introducing me to Jonathan Coulton music.
  • Indeed, it was Dammit Liz who contacted me to ask if CERN had a gift shop. :) I'd heard a colleague mention Desert Bus last year but wasn't really familiar with it, and I still don't know much about how it works, but it looks like 11am PST is a good time for me to tune into a webcast, so thanks for the heads-up.
  • edited November 2012
    I must admit that I haven't interacted with PAX at all, ever, because their events are held exclusively on the east and west coasts and completely ignore the entire middle of the country. (For some reason, many on the coasts seem to be blind to the existence of the vast Rocky Mountain region, even though we have approximately one zillion enthusiastic geeks and fans.) I did contribute some time this summer to the brand new Denver Comic Con, which is run by a local charitable nonprofit that promotes literacy. (Paul and Storm served as emcees and played a set at an evening event. Alas, Wil Wheaton, who was scheduled to come as well, backed out at the last moment. Maybe we'll get him next year.)

I get the impression that this Desert Bus event is a sort of Internet telethon...?
  • @BrettGlass Yes, I thought the links in the first post gave a clear idea of the event, but Dammit Liz was just featured in an article that summarises it even better: http://ow.ly/fprcy

(Sorry I'm not able to format links on my phone; I copied the link from Twitter.)
  • By my calculations, JoCo should be on in about 25 minutes. You can leave questions and cogitations for him here.
  • edited November 2012
    On now!

Edit: over now. I guess it'll be on YouTube soon. He answered a question of mine about worst bus (or similar) trip.
  • That was quite a story. Did you know about his passport snafu before you asked the question?
  • I didn't! So I'm glad I asked, because I pretty much knew the answers to a lot of the music-related questions already. I just figured the question would be desert-bus-themed and something he hasn't already been asked lots of times (which is kind of against the tedium of Desert Bus)
  • That was a great question @Angelastic! I managed to tune in from work right in time. I already knew the border story, but I think I specifically asked Paul what happened. They'd all tweeted about border trouble at the time and I hoped they didn't hate Canada forever. /: