PAX EAST 2013 - who's going (tickets just went on sale)

edited October 2012 in Everything Else
I am posting this here on the assumption (hope?) that JoCo and PauSto will be playing at PAX East 2013.  Even if he's not, I expect that many forumites will be there anyway.  Tickets just went on sale, (I selfishly bought mine first before posting here, I'm a jerk) so get em before they sell out, and I'll see you there.

Comments

• I got my ticket.  I'll see whether I can get more of the weekend off this year, or alternatively whether my son will be more interested in spending more time there.
  • I have no idea if I'll be able to attend (I can't think that far ahead), but I just bought a ticket anyway.  I've always wanted to go to this one, so absolute worst case, I'm out $70.  With any luck, I'll make it work.  Would love to hear from folks who've been to PAX East before!
  • I just bought the 3day pass as well...I will find a way to make it work!
  • edited October 2012
    @thecolintaylor - more likely, the worst case is you would have to make a minimal effort to sell it to someone else for face value :)

This will be my third PAX East.  I go for a variety of reasons:
    • The (presumably) Paul and Storm / JoCo / Frontalot Concert.
    • Board games - getting to see/play new ones, or old ones I don't have.
    • Seeing people - I now know some people from various parts of the country that also come to PAX East, so I get to see them.
    • While I am not a super hard core gamer, it is fun to wander the expo floor and see all the upcoming craziness.  It's probably too much to hope for, but maybe Blizzard will have a HOTS demo for us to play with by then.

• @mrgoldenbrown I didn't want to presume... my NYCC ticket is technically non-transferable.  Not an issue, since I plan to use that one, though :)
  • I got my 3day pass. @thecolintaylor every year I do more of Pax East and every year I see something on YouTube that I wished I had done. It may not be possible to fit any more in, but I'll try. As for transferability, it's never been a problem in the past.
  • Would love to go, but my convention budget will be exhausted by that time due to a week in a floating hotel.
  • I will be there.
  • @tmentz Sounds good to me!  Obviously my intention is to be there if possible.  I propose meetups.  I might actually know more of you in person after the cruise :)
  • I'll be there. If anyone wants to share a hotel room, I could be talked into it.
  • I will be there.
  • Camera and I will be there. It compels me!
  • I will be there helping to work Christopher "star-wars-pants" Badell's booth (Greater than Games, Sentinels of the Multiverse).
  • I missed the 3 day passes, but plan on getting a Saturday ticket. Should be there with the obligatory video rig to capture the music from the SpinTunes and Masters of Song Fu alumni that arrive.

I'm guessing that JoCo and Paul & Storm will be performing on Saturday, since they have the last 3 times.
  • I will be there.

And I'd like to state right now that if anyone finds themselves with an extra three-day pass, I am in the market for at least one more. I bought four, and they've all been snatched up by friends, so if I can discover some more at face value (plus postage), that would be spectacular. I am all in favor of face value resales, and I think all scalpers should die in fires. :-)
  • edited November 2012
    A Heads up

If you're going to PAX East (And didn't get a 3 day pass), the Saturday tickets are officially 'low', which means they will be sold out very soon. 

There hasn't been a confirmation that JoCo or P&S will be playing yet, but since they've been there for every one so far, the probability is high they will return. 
  • I'm really hoping that Simon a friend and I are able to go... If anyone hears of three or even two 3-Day tickets could you please get in touch with me??? You'd make my day/year/everything if you do! 

Christina Diddle on facebook
    notNksaymore on twitter
  • edited December 2012
    I will be there.  I bought a Saturday ticket as the passes were history by the time I got to it.  I'm hoping my gamble pays off.  I'm new to this world and was too late for tix to the 2012 fandango.  I met a nice couple at the Coulton/Hodgman gig at the Wilbur last month who advised me to buy Saturday night tix.  I hope they're right.  It killed me last year to know I was missing such a great line-up.  Anyway, hello.  I'm new.  Be kind.
  • OK you can laugh at me now.
  • Welcome to the forums, @echidnabot! I deleted your duplicate post, I hope you don't mind.

I'm still hoping to be at PAX East as an Enforcer again. Fingers crossed the flight booking works out!
  • Silly me I am Co-Coordinating a tabletop RPG, Boardgames and MIniatures Games Convention in rural Northwest Ohio the same weekend.
  • Thanks chicazul!  Don't mind a bit.  I hope to meet you there!
  • I will be at PAX East. Probably doing some line entertainment like I did last year - that was fun!
  • The unofficial word is that Paul and Storm will be there this year. Don't know what night. Haven't heard anything about JoCo. 
  • There will be challenge coins again this year!  I don't know how they will be distributed/sold, but I have seen pics and they look pretty nice.  simple, and yet elegant.
  • What is a challenge coin?
  • edited December 2012
    @arenson9: Here's an explanation of challenge coins from @isildur42.

The Artificial Heart level 4 package also came with a challenge coin, but I've never seen them used as such.
  • Thanks @angelastic I probably would have written that whole thing up again...I had forgot that I wrote that...
  • Thanks for the explanation. I don't find the idea particularly appealing, but perhaps I've just not been properly indoctrinated.
  • It is official. JoCo and Paul & Storm are playing Saturday at PaxEast.
    They are sold out on Saturday tickets thru the official methods. 

What was once stuffily described as a “Keynote” but is now referred to by the vastly more humane “Storytime” will be officiated by none other than Cliff Bleszinski, who has seen a lot of shit and is in a very good position to handle this format.

I also have information on the bands we’ve got on tap for Friday and Saturday; there are many old favorites, but I’ve placed some strategic hyperlinks to help with the others.

Friday’s got:
    VGO
    Those Who Fight
    Protomen

Saturday will feature:
    Sam Hart
    Frontalot
    Jonathan Coulton
    Paul and Storm 

(CW)TB

• I am guessing the set order (based on previous years) will be:

Sam Hart
    P&S
    Coulton
    Frontalot

• @aliceandstuff I was actually wondering if this meant they put the three on a rotation for headliner and it was P&S' turn.
  • Alas- I'll be unable to make it this year
  • I got my Saturday ticket as soon as I learned Paul & Storm would be there. This will  my 34th JoCo show.  
  • I got my three-month pass in the mail today, a few months after I decided not to go. Yes, I should have started looking for someone to transfer it to earlier. Anybody interested?
  • @stevendj Gwendolyn Alviani is looking for one in the Sea Monkey Fun Facebook group. She doesn't remember her account info here, but I'm not sure if you are in that group.
  • Where can I get myself one of these mystical three-month passes?
  • Oops. Those non-metric time units are always so confusing.
  • Pass sold to Gwendolyn. Thanks, @tmentz1.
  • I have passes for Friday and Saturday, but can't go because I live in Philadelphia and am currently unable to walk. (Long story). If anybody wants to buy them from me at cost, please email me at [email protected].  
  • Made the decision LAST NIGHT to go to PAX.  Because, well, I like fun.  This is my first PAX!  Also, I have Fri and Sun tickets, but no Saturday (tear).  If anyone has a lead can you let me know.  Thanks kids!
  • I got all excited of the mystery Blizzard announcement. I wasn't let down. Hearthstone looks awesome.
  • Anyone have a setlist, or videos, or any other info...?
  • edited March 2013
    Couldn't make it to PAX because JCCC3 exhausted both my dollar and (especially) time budgets for big conventions. But I watched the live video of JoCo and Paul and Storm on the main stage. It was a bit annoying, because the sound guys put a squelch box on the audio.... Sound cut out completely whenever performer(s) were not making enough noise through their mics. Still worth watching, though. P&S did some songs they do not usually do, such as "Enormous Penis." Was amused when Paul picked Jess Allerdice (of GamerchiX fame) to serenade; I wonder if he knew ahead of time who she was.

I imagine that the video has been archived; hope it's posted somewhere.
  • I was joking that "Enormous Penis" was intended to provide balance after "I Will Sing a Lullaby."
  • I'd been wondering when they'd play those two together. Apparently there was another song between them, though. Just as well, I guess; if the two songs were together without protection they'd end up with Mother's Day Song/A Better Version of You.
  • Here's the video archive. Coulton starts at 11:53:00, with Paul and Storm after (concert overall starts at 10:10:00).

• edited March 2013
    Yep, there it is. Was it my imagination, or did JoCo have a bit of a cold? (With all the jokes about apples, maybe he was hoping that an apple a day would help.)