Help me support 826NYC

edited October 2012 in Everything Else
Hi everyone! 

826NYC, the local chapter of the 826 National charity, is holding a Trivia Night with John Hodgman in November and I signed up to play. I am hoping to raise $250 or more to help fund an awesome charity. You can support my team, named Sea Monkeys (but not meant to be exclusive to people who have been on the cruise), here: http://www.826nyc.org/trivianight/support/

826 runs writing workshops and drop-in centers to encourage kids in school to take up creative writing and do all sorts of projects with kids to encourage creativity. 826NYC recently has been working on a project where kids write scripts that are then taken and filmed by professionals.

All donations are 100% tax-deductible! Bonus!

Comments

• Yay! I'd heard about that place. Half of my contact cards claim I'm a writer and a superhero (though one of those things may be just a cover story for the other), so naturally I should donate to a writing workshop in the back of a superhero supply store. Assuming my nemesis doesn't thwart me with nefarious counter-donations.
  • edited October 2012
    Yep, all of the 826 centers have a store with an awesome theme. San Francisco is a pirate store, Seattle is SPAAAAACE!, New York is super heroes and Chicago is spy-themed. There are more but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
  • Oh, cool! I only knew about the NYC one and I was wondering whether the other ones also had superhero supplies.
  • I actually wandered into the Seattle store having been drawn in by all the space stuff in the window and only realized it was an 826 center once inside.
  • I posted this on the 2012 sea monkey facebook group, since you're not on there and they might not all be on here or on twitter, but they probably know you and would be particularly inclined to support a team called Sea Monkeys.
  • edited October 2012
    Awesome!  I discovered the Brooklyn 826 the same way you did Alice - I was walking to the Ask Me Another taping, saw a sign about SuperHero Supplies, said WTF OMG, and went inside.  
    ETA - I don't want to brag, but "our" team is way closer to cheating than anyone else's.  
    ETA #2 - I almost supported another team, just to spite my nemesis, but then I realized that our donations will enable Alice to CHEAT!  Now @Angelastic must live with the awful truth that she joined me in helping someone cheat.  
  • Ah, but isn't cheating against John Hodgman a nobler goal? We'll need to ask a judge to decide; or maybe just some millionaire with a judging podcast… d'oh!
  • The one in Ann Arbor is "Robot Supply and Repair".
  • Is this quiz going to be on real trivia, or trivia invented by John Hodgman?
  • I assume real trivia, if it is the latter I am going to run that show.
  • Done and done. Go get 'em, Alice!!!
  • Done as well. Best of luck!