The music and your personal life?

edited May 2007 in JoCo Music
Does anyone else find that sometimes songs pop up in your head in reference to your personal life?

I do. When I'm depressed, "I Crush Everything" pops up because it feels like I *do* screw everything up.

And lately this guy I was dating that I really liked broke up with me. He said I was too intense and I'll have to agree with him, I was going pretty psycho with him.

And now I find myself singing "The Future Soon", promising that I won't always be psycho, that the things that make me weak and strange will get engineered away.

Does this happen to anyone else? How does the music cross over into your life?

Comments

• Pretty much everything I do has a song attached, which begins to pose a problem when you actually listen to a song and there is always multiple memories to it. Makes the songs more interesting though.
  • Well in that case you want to think of the cheery songs and that will actaully make you happier.

I find that songs can effect my mood.
  • Is it strange that the song I find most closely related to my personal life is "The Future Soon"?
  • I think most of us probably identify with "The Future Soon" in some way. I know I do.
  • Then either I'm completely normal, or all JoCo fans are freaks... I'm not sure which is worse :P
  • Hey! There is nothing wrong with being a freak, but you normal does concern me :P.
  • I thought the definition of "freak" was "socially unacceptable"... Hence: By definition there is everything wrong with being a freak. However, normality is subjective...
  • Pedantry alert!

Kerrin: "I find that songs can effect my mood." I think you mean "affect". They affect your mood, and what happens to your mood is the effect of being affected. Affect is the cause, and effect is the, well, effect.

Pedantry over with, music affects me better than SSRIs do. Seriously. There's a reason that I have playlists at work with moods on them, some of them being very subtle and nuanced moods.
  • "Is it strange that the song I find most closely related to my personal life is "The Future Soon"?"
    Yes, but don't worry, it'll get engineered away.
  • Effect and affect - I've never been corrected on that before. Can I just confirm that isn't an Americanism before I start changing my usage?
  • Not an Americanism -- when distinguishing between "affect" and "effect," "affect" is the verb, and "effect" is the noun.
  • Wow, how is that going to affect my life. I can just imaging the effect at the moment!
  • ""Is it strange that the song I find most closely related to my personal life is "The Future Soon"?""

I don't quite see how Robbie can "claim" that he is more "normal" than the rest of us and also say he relates most to a love-sick cyborg that created a race of robots that attacked the Earth....

At least I only seem to be the type of person to hold people against their will to try and get them to see I'm not too crazy...:P
  • ""Is it strange that the song I find most closely related to my personal life is "The Future Soon"?"
    Yes, but don't worry, it'll get engineered away."
    ---

Phew, thanks for that Bry... *Fails to find witty comeback involving song lyrics*

Jon, I don't claim to be more normal than anyone but you and Tom Cruise.
  • Okay, anyone can be more "normal" than me-even though normal is a matter of perspective. And I recall you called the majority of JoCo fans "freaks".
  • Well, what I actually said was, "either I'm completely normal, or all JoCo fans are freaks". That simply refers to my surprise at being within a community where everybody thinks, more or less, like me. That has never happened to me before.

Besides, if this is freakishness, count me in...
  • It is merely the beginning....*flashing lights and sinister laugh*.
  • I've just spent the last 30 minutes reading Spiff's JoCo musical script, and when I returned to find that post I sang two lines from Creepy Doll before I realised what I was doing.
  • Told you. That play has "blockbuster hit" written all over it (at least on my copy).
  • Hehe, now if only JoCo had more fans...
  • But how many more would we want? As soon as we get *millions* to like JoCo things become a lot harder for him with more demands, e-mails and such like, and soon the forums will be flooded with posts that it will be impossible to read all of.

We're all doomed! We can't win either way...
  • edited July 2007
    True. It's about what JoCo himself wants though, which includes - according to various sources - to captain the US curling team, to become an all-powerful scientist controlling a cyborg warrior race, and to win a competition for having the best pants.

Take everything he says with just a pinch of salt.

I think, though, he wouldn't want millions of fans. He just wants a middle ground between being a total unknown and being world-famous.

Yes, I realise I made that sound like he's a total unknown at the moment. But I can't think of a better way to put it.
  • I suppose in the grand schem of things he could be currently classed as an unknown. But how do you get the middle ground, as fame grows it'd grow at a steeper and steeper gradient so you would rapidly achieve world fame....At least that's how I see it.
  • Well, there's a question of where his market is. If you're a tall slender stacked young woman with a pretty face, lots of hair, and a decent amount of musical ability, provided you get top stylists, choreographers, producers, & promoters, and hang out with exactly the right people, the sky is your limit. Same probably if you're part of a group of equally hot young men, but you have to project unattainable coolness, pursue lots of extreme leisure activities, and then do all the rest of the above.

JoCo's a different kettle of fish, I think. He's way more literate, way less Hollywood edgy, and he sings a lot of things with multiple syllables and unusual subject matter. His potential fans are a more restricted group than the current group of Mass Taste listeners.

Imagine the word of mouth moving from person to person to person and then stuttering, as somebody reacts with "Mandelbrot Set? WTF? No Way!" The untapped fan group is sitting out there, but they're not necessarily making their music connections through channels that will let them hear about JoCo. That's why all of us need to do our Legion work.
  • Can I actually say that I think JoCo is fairly well know in certain circles (i.e. mathy/computery/geeky).

I have a group of friends that I use to see, and I hadn't got around to mentioning JoCo, and one night I walk in to the room and hear code monkey being played on the computer.

Another friend, first time I mention JoCo, 'oh yeah, he wrote that song about Mandlebrot'

May be it's a Cambridge thing? We're all very geeky here.

Both of these people found out about him through someone saying 'look at this, it's cool'
  • He is also known in the circle I discovered him in.... that being Daily Show fans.
  • I've never yet met anyone who already knew about JoCo when I mentioned him. I must be running in all the wrong circles....
  • Must just be people I know then.
  • edited May 2010
    I know I definitely fall under one of the ones who associate with 'The Future Soon'. The only differences are that I'm female, asexual, and was planning on teaching cats instead of dolphins how to talk. Although, I guess also it might be my brother who programs them (I'm going into Cybernetics/Biomechanical Engineering and he's going into Artificial Intelligence) so I won't technically teach them about what life is worth.
    The space lab I was only planning on using if we successfully make Skynet and the Terminator series. Before then, I would rather have an Evil Lair like Tesla did, but near a hospital so I can make cybernetics for people.
    Due to illnesses I have had in the past my body is very weak and I was planning on replacing it with Cybernetic parts. As for the strange part...I was planning on more augmenting my brain instead of replacing it.
    And if I could, I would rather make something akin to Teleforce rather than a laser. It has a longer range and is more destructive.