"Abracadaver" - A free nerd rock EP for you!

edited June 2012 in Everything Else
Hey guys. So, I'm in this nerd rock band called Nuclear Bubble Wrap. We started out getting a bit of notability on the internet by creating comedy songs like "Avada Kedavra" and "ScientLOLojyuuichi." But our days of creating that kind of music are over. I wanted to share this EP, called "Abracadaver" that we just finished. The "single" from this EP is called "Sharktopus," and we just released an animated music video for it.

Comments

• Uuuuhh... I'm not sure what the forum's policy is on advertising, but this seems like...

I mean, it's one thing to just say hi and link your thing to us - that's cool. You have something cool and you want to share it, I can get behind that.
    It's just that this whole post sounds a lot like a press-release. It sounds like advertising, like you're trying to sell something. And that feels a bit wrong.

This might just be me, but this post made me LESS likely to check your music out, not more likely - simply by virtue of my natural resistance to having things pushed on me.

Anyway. Maybe it's just me.
  • I dunno... I'm not exactly trying to sell it. It's not like people like buying music, so I posted a mediafire link. I've shared stuff here in the past, like a crappy parody of Still Alive I did back in 2008. But it was crappy and I wouldn't go looking for that post.

I just thought JoCo fans might like what we're doing. If they do, cool. If they don't, cool.
  • I'm going to a JoCo show in a couple hours and I decline to moderate this thread.

As always, this forum's policy on advertising has always been "please God don't make me come up with a coherent policy on advertising."

I'll just say this: it's a bit of a gray zone since it's not as obviously JoCo-related as, say, a cover or a video, but on consideration, I don't think there's anything in @weirdojace's post that's objectionable, content-wise, on administrative grounds. Discussions of tone or tenor in cases such as this are subjective and no place for squeamish moderators.

• I was all geared up to frown subtly upon the advertising, but then I saw it was Nuclear Bubble Wrap (you know, from The FuMP and stuff!) and my frown ran away squeaking in shame, and I clicked the link. The lyrics of that Still Alive parody still occasionally surface in the middle of other Still Alive parodies in my head.

Anyway, maybe you should hang around and post about other things, so that people don't accuse you of only being around to 'advertise'.
  • Okay, I should perhaps clarify a bit: my post wasn't so much, "please don't post this stuff here" as it was "it sounds like you're trying to sell me something." My point was that the moment I feel like something is being pushed on me, I react by resisting, and that's kind of a shame.
    The blurb on having gained notability, namedropping previous songs, "we've recorded an EP and made a video..." Well, honestly, it's 24 years of cynicism fostered by advertising acting against you here - in my subconscious it sounds like you're trying to impress me with your achievements before I've actually heard your music and had a chance to judge for myself. It sounds like you don't have the confidence to let the product stand on its own merits, that you're trying to elicit a pre-order, as it were.

I am sure this is not true! I am sure you are not trying to do that at all - and I'm not trying to assign you any nefarious or commercial motives. I'm only telling you the impression, be it right or wrong, that I got from the post.

The moment @Angelastic popped in with a recommendation, THAT made me feel like checking it out, because it came from an independent source, and because I know from experience that she is a sensible person with good taste and good opinions.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that forums are a good place to spread your music - I think you should keep doing it, just be careful that your posts can't be confused with advertising because it can lead to a bad initial reaction (like you got from me). I know a number of forums which would have removed your post no questions asked the moment anybody even caught a hint of the word advertising, and I think that would be a shame. Sharing something that you think is good is a noble endeavour - it's an attempt at improving other people's worlds. It shouldn't be curtailed by unfortunate wording and the cynicism of jaded Internet denizens.
  • edited June 2012
    I agree with everything @skyen just said, except perhaps that I have good taste.

Maybe it would be useful to have a 'Share your non-JoCo-related creative stuff here!' thread where it's definitely okay to post this kind of thing. But I would say the reaction is in large part because @weirdojace doesn't usually post here, so it's like he came here just to push his free funny music on a crowd of people known to like free funny music. I guess also because if it were someone we all knew, there would be no need for the blurb.

So anyway… I haven't listened yet. So you get a resounding 'no comment' rating from me. Oh, except [looks at tracklist] I already have Hulkulele from The FuMP (which, by the way, is great for people who like free funny music, with the option of paying for it, of course) and I remember liking it.
  • edited June 2012
    Also... I think post like this could totally be at home in the "other music (gasp)" thread or the "what are you doing now (Cruisless)" thread.  

@weirdojace I've enjoyed what I've heard so far!