So, what have YOU been up to lately? (A Cruise-free zone, please)

edited June 2012 in Everything Else
In an attempt to create a new topic of discussion, and since I haven't been on the forums much this past year or three, who is still around from when I used to post all the time?  What have you been doing? 
   Me?  Well being on these forums introduced me to Joe Covenant Lamb, and the next thing I knew I was being begged to vote for him in something I had never heard of called Song Fu.  (His fav quote- "Did you know that >I< won Song Fu?"). This in turn led to hanging around in the DFTBA chatroom, until it sort of died, and then in the Artifiction chat room...which also died from them deciding to charge Sammy Kablam who set it up and moderated it for the chat space.  Through Song Fu and those chats I met a lot of wonderful and talented people, some of whom I originally chatted with in discussions here, like Dave Leigh  and Edric Haleen.  That led me to deciding "If they can do it, I can do it!" and trying my hand at writing songs for the SpinTunes competitions. I usually get knocked out of the running and just do shadow songs pretty early, but I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun.  Yesterday was the recital for the voice lessons I have been taking since January. I have now written over 30 songs for various competitions.  Someday, with a decent accompanist and with my newer recording equipment I hope to re-record a lot of them.  Maybe I will learn to play an instrument someday...
   One of my favorite tunes was written for the challenge topic of "A happy song about death", and can be heard on my bandcamp page at http://menageatune.bandcamp.com/track/isnt-it-nice .  If you were ever bullied, you will probably like it.
   I have another grandbaby thanks to my daughter Liz and her husband- Mackenzie is now 2, and as blue-eyed and curly-blond-haired as her four-year old big brother Tyler.  My son and his wife are waiting till she gets her Masters degree before starting their family- I wish she would hurry up and get it, I want more babies to snuggle!
   Most recently I have been doing costumes, make-up and even some acting in small independent film productions- 6 this year so far, 2 last year and 1 the year before that. I am currently the make up artist on a tv pilot filming in 2 weeks called Everyday Bikers which is looking very strong for being picked up, and the thought of really going pro is pretty dazzling for me.  Note-going pro means that I get paid in something more than hugs, gratitude and dinner for working on a project, lol.  Indie film makers are notoriously broke.  If you want to see me acting in something I also costumed, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWWjrds0Xs    Genre Wars 3 Vampires vs Vikings. I am the vampire matriarch who says "Yes M'Lord" a lot. I also did costumes or makeup for the other 2 GW3 submissions this round, as well as part 1. Genre Wars is an on going  film competition- 20 bucks to enter your film, and the winner, decided by YouTube votes gets 1/2 of the collected pot and bragging rights.  People are starting to work on round 4 entries now, due the end of July I think.
   So- as the title says, what's been happening in YOUR life?  

And can you believe it that JoCo actually POSTED to the forums recently????  Yeah, I about fainted when I read what he said too!

Comments

• Good on you, JoAnn!

What I've been up to since I was last active on the forums would sound too much like whining, and I don't like to whine online unless it's amusing, which this wasn't. Suffice it to say that late 2008 into early 2010 kinda sucked balls. 2010 and 2011 were better but chaotic. 2012 is looking up. Finally getting a foothold here in PA, and a little music work is trickling in.
  • I follow you on twitter Colleen...isn't there a huge  "falling in love and he loves me back" section missing here?  (Which I have been enjoying reading about and cheering you on from a distance)
  • Yep. I thought I covered that in "better but chaotic," no? ;-) Also, thanks. :-)
  • edited June 2012
    What Have I been up to? Well this, actually.
  • Lessee, what have I been up to?

Perspicacious forumgoers will have noted that ever since a couple years ago, I've talked a lot less about going to shows in the Boston area and a lot more about going to shows in the Pacific Northwest. This is, naturally, a job-related transition, in that I've transitioned out of not having a job and into having a job. #humblebrag?

Somewhat relatedly (though there are other factors), I've become much worse at handling any forum maintenance (and especially wiki maintenance) that requires more attention regularly than, say, a small fishtank.

And I continue to be no good at writing about myself, which seems to be the sole topic on these forums that I'm incapable of turning into a long essay all about me.

• @Bry, I've been not transitioning out of the same job for a long time now, so congrats.
  • I have been up to less than I should. Mostly because what I should be up to is catching up on world history, Danish history and also pop-cultural history from 1930-1965.

I study history, you see.

On the other hand, I have managed to record some JoCo-covers, so it's not like I have wasted my time entirely.
  • Why don't you  sign up to be a part of the next SpinTunes competition then Skyen?  4 song challenges over almost 2 months time. It is fun too! Go to 
    http://spintunes.blogspot.com/ to sign up.
  • I've spent all week (is it really only Tuesday?) eating up all the info coming out of E3.  This has traditionally been the least productive week of my year, and this time around is no exception :P
  • @JoAnn_in_VA Much as I'd like to, I suffer from the handicap of not being any kind of a songwriter. I can play and sing, and even write lyrics, but composing music rather eludes me, I fear.

Still, maybe someday :)
  • Oh REALLY now....I can write lyrics, come up with a tune and sing it but not really PLAY anything.  Wanna talk? My last partner is still trying to figure out if he has time to  do the accompaniment this round. [email protected] is my email!
  • Let's see...   boardgames, dating, playing in the Pit Orchestra for A Little Night Music at the Arena Stage, and looking forward to JoCo on Friday!
  • I've been trying to wrap things up in my current job and get ready to move to a new one, out of state. Exciting having new adventures ahead, but also fairly terrifying.
  • I have spent the last week cleaning an IBC and getting it into position to increase my water storage potential to nearly 2000 litres (530 gallons approx), moved the hen coop before I extend their run and built a rabbit run. Tonight whilst it is pouring down I was outside moving water around to catch it while its there! 

What? It's not all about learning Illustrator and listening to JoCo...
  • Well, while @JoAnn_in_VA found out about Song Fu from JoeCov, I found out about it more directly through JoCo (I would think they were the same person if I had not listened to recordings of the two of them harmonising on Chiron Beta Prime.) I’ve been listening to all the Song Fu, SpinTunes and Song Fight songs, and written (but not entered) the occasional shadow, usually in the form of a poem or very simple song sung by my Mac, because I have yet to take any voice classes and I don’t really know much about music. 

Well, actually, I did attend a few lessons of a casual singing class, but I’m not sure if I’ve really learnt anything yet; I don’t actually sing much, since I started near the end of the course and everyone else already knows the songs they sing so I don’t get a chance to learn how they go before we’re supposed to sing them. It gives me an interesting insight into what it’s like to be illiterate. :) I just got back from a concert by the lady who teaches the course (I'd never actually listened to her music before) and I am in danger of becoming a fan. So that's kind of weird; now I'm going to be even more self-conscious if I attempt to sing in front of her at the last lesson.

I have started a new Thing a Week-type thing. Remember when I joined these forums, I’d just started one? Well, I decided I may as well start one every February 29th, so now I’m on my second one. And since I no longer tweet exclusively about pants (which I did because of Spiff) I actually tweet my Things this time, and sometimes people look at them, which is kind of nice, for me if not for them. The first time I did it, the idea was to get back into writing, so it was all short stories, poetry, and the occasional song-like thing, but this time the rules are a little more relaxed and sometimes I make software or videos, and I'll probably do some diagrams or infographic-like things. The first one was a video for Dissolve which a lot of people seemed to like (JoCo retweeted it!), but it contains cruise footage at the end, so let’s pretend I didn’t mention it. The latest one has a recipe, and some songs by people who followers of Song Fight or The FuMP might know. The next one will be a week late and worth the wait (it's a collaboration!)

I'm starting to notice that music is actually pretty important to me (Duh!) and I seem to be trying to make that mutual or something. I’ve been travelling reasonably often to go to various concerts within a radius of 5 train-hours or so, and musicians have started asking me to recommend small venues nearer where I live, so I'm finding out more about how that all works. I sort of want to play matchmaker and encourage some of the stars from different constellations of musicians to collaborate.

Apparently I have no problems with rambling on and on about myself. Now I am a narcissist, seven miles high…

JoCo posted on the forums on my birthday!
  • Rambling is good, and makes my novella at the start of this not look so bad.  

If you really want to see me brag (and some of my costumes) I put up a website today for my costuming/acting/make-up career- joannabbott.net . Check out my Grandma Gaga outfit!
  • This is the non-cruise thread right? A while back @Chicazul asked me to make a plugin for the forum that would let people hide threads from sub-forums (eg: threads about the cruise). I have not had a chance to do this yet, but I am wondering if I wrote a greasemonkey/userscript (usable in Firefox, Chrome and Opera) would people want to use it?
  • Personally, I'm not terribly interested in hiding any threads, so I wouldn't be interested in such a script.  I'd be willing to help with testing it, but chiefly as a public service.
  • I would be interested i such a thread hider, thanks!

• By the way, @JoAnn_in_VA I threw an email your way a while ago. I don't know if it reached you or if I mistyped the address?
  • Saw JoCo with Roderick, went to 2 weddings and played a concert- Mozart piano concerto 20 and symphony 40.  Mahler 4th symphony A Little Night Music, and Miss Saigon on deck....

• @Bry Sorry! I did not realize that thread existed.
  • Skyen, I answered you back, didn't you get my (extremely long, cause I am like that) reply?  Check your spam mail, I included links to my bandcamp page and new web page.  Which is joannabbott.net if anyone wants to see what I am up to. :o)
    I also just sent you a message from here.-
    Jo
  • My 5yo son needs surgery for what may turn out to be yet another birth defect, beyond the one that the obstetrician noticed as soon as he was born.  From this surgery, there's a risk of facial nerve damage, and it's unknown exactly how prominent the surgical scar will be. :-(
  • If he ends up with a prominent scar, just jokingly call him Scarface and get him used to laughing about it. My sister sometimes affectionately calls one of her daughters by an otherwise-slightly-insulting name that rhymes with her actual name, so if anyone at school tries to tease her with it she won't be bothered in the slightest.

I hope there's no nerve damage.
  • We've already shown him Princess Bride and explained how he used to be a six-fingered man.

I'm not as worried as I might be.  There are benefits to living near Boston; we have some of the top hospitals in the country.
  • Count Rugen and Scarface? Your son is going to grow up to be quite the evil genius. You must be so proud.
  • Frankly, we're a bit disappointed that he's apparently lined up to be an evil sidekick.  We had higher expectations for him.
  • @angelastic and @mtgordon. It is almost impossible for me to express how cool those last 4 comments are. Not the subject behind it (boo hiss to that) but as a method for dealing with anything, these have to be the best!
  • I second that, @St_Trousers. All the best for your son, @mtgordon; I truly hope everything turns out for the best, but if something less-than-awesome should happen it sounds like he's got a dad more than capable of handling it.
  • Maybe evil sidekick is the way evil genius's train to become really effective.  And remember- according to Sir PTerry, Igors always know where the hidden escape route is located and have a carpetbag of gold stashed where they can get to it quickly.  

(But I still hope it won't be necessary and if it is, it won't cause any problems)
  • "Evil Sidekick Is the Way Evil Geniuses Train" is the name of my debut nerdcore rap album.
  • edited June 2012
    "The Way-Evil Geniuses Train" is the name of the SuperTrain trip's nemesis.
  • I've been pulled into the planning group for [cruise-related event retracted].  I'm actually getting much more involved than I was originally intending, but it's been pleasantly exciting!  Things are coming together and we really think we can deliver something awesome :)
  • edited June 2012
    Making good progress building my businesses and helping customers, despite being short-staffed. (Anyone want a good, interesting job helping people get on the Internet? You get to live in Wyoming, which few of us have the opportunity to do!) Also doing some solo music projects (mostly songwriting -- MIDI and sampled backing tracks with a few live instruments) and a couple of collaborations with local musicians in my very limited leisure time.

But I've been watching all of the Twitter traffic from JoCo's tour, as well as Molly's concert, and regretting having two businesses that actually require me to be in one physical location much of the time. And not having a transporter. Also wishing that, just once, JoCo and his band would come within 1,000 miles. On this tour, they flew over us in both directions.
  • @mtgordon - your son is going to have a confusing destiny - as a man with a scar on his face he will be destined to kill the six fingered man.  But he is the six fingered man!  Talk about a twist ending!
  • @mrgoldenbrown I suspect it involves time travel.
  • Just make sure he doesn't kill you before he's born. Unless… has anyone ever said he looks exactly like you?
  • The simpler and more logical conclusion is evil twins from alternate dimensions.
  • Beware the goatee'd ones.
  • Unless the good twin has the Van Dyke.
  • It's been quite a while since I perused the forums here, ever since the JoCo forums became the all-cruise-all-the-time forums ;).  It's nice to see some familiar faces again.  Hi, everyone.  Good to hear things are going well for you, JoAnn.  Great to hear that things are picking up for Colleen.  Conflicted about seeing mtgordon back on the forums, but that's none of my business. :)

I've pretty much officially stopped making WoW vids by now.  I get comments daily on the videos from people wanting to know why and demanding that I continue, which doesn't work, obviously.  There's no sinister reason I stopped, I just ran out of steam.  I'd been doing it for about five years and like any normal hobby, I eventually got bored and moved on.  If I were telling the full truth, I'd probably say that the long wait for Artificial Heart (plus the lack of songs I really love on Artificial Heart once it came out) was a contributing factor.  In any case, that fun period of my life is now over.

More recently, I've been fulfilling my creative urges by playing and making custom accessories for the best superhero themed cooperative card game I've ever seen, Sentinels of the Multiverse.  The game is wicked fun, and I've been making oversized villain cards and hero hp trackers and card boxes and web tools and other stuff.  It's made by a small indie company and so has the same sort of early adopter camaraderie on the forums like the early days of JoCo.  I like that.

I know we're not supposed to talk about the cruise in this topic, but one of the game's designers is a big JoCo fan and I'm pretty sure he went on the second cruise, and even brought along his cards to play in the gameroom.  So some of you may have already heard of or played this game.

Not much else interesting going on.
  • Oh yes, Sentinels was played!
  • edited July 2012
    Yes, there are many many many many many Sentinels fans among the JoCo-verse, and vice versa!
  • edited July 2012
    Hi @Spiff, nice to see you around!

I've edited my second non-JoCo music video.* This one's for Fitz & The Tantrums' cover of the Eurythmics' song, Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This).

*The first was my entry for TMBG's Can't Keep Johnny Down video contest.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm waiting in my son's hospital room for word on his surgery. He has a cyst in his ear that may or may not be growing around his facial nerve. I guess we'll find out soon.

Update: he's out of surgery, and it sounds like he dodged various bullets.
  • My thoughts are with you.
  • Glad to hear about the update. I hope everything will be ok.