Happy First of May 2012

edited April 2012 in Everything Else
Well, it's been the first of May for a few hours already in New Zealand, and while it isn't Spring there, and there are no squirrels or chipmunks (I have occasionally considered writing a Southern Hemisphere version of that song, but didn't get very far*), it's probably warm enough. Is anyone participating in the First of May Olympics?

I just uploaded the somewhat-safe-for-work version of First of May that was performed on the last cruise. Enjoy:

* ETA: it's the first of DecemberSeptember, (geez, I lived there for 24 years and still didn't manage to memorise when the seasons started. Wait, isn't November six months after May? Is the first of May anywhere near the start of spring? Spring officially started in Geneva on 13 March this year, when the first leaf appeared on the official chestnut tree, but it can happen as early as the end of December)
first of DecemberSeptember,
outdoor mucking, don'tcha remember.
So bring your favourite member,
or at least your favourite ma'am?

Comments

• In the UK there are two weeks between Spring hitting the south of Cornwall, and it hitting the north of scotland. It is feasibly possible to outwalk spring in the UK if you set off at the right time and head north. The seasons officially start on the Quarter days if you are of Druidic persuasion with markers at the Cross Quarters such as Beltain, Imbolc etc... So the Vernal Equinox is the first day of spring from the ancient calendar. However as this is still mankind trying to impose his sense of order on Gaia's chaotic beauty, I think I believe the chestnut.

It's another five and three quarter hours before the UK hits FOM and for once I am happy that we have a different time zone to the US as I will be able to sneak in earlier and say Happy FOM!
  • edited April 2012
    Tomorrow's weather certainly looks like it'll be nice enough for JoCopulation. Hmmm....
  • Ok so I am sad/dedicated enough to be up at 12.30 am local time! First Of May, my first first of may! Well not my first first obviously I have had lots of firsts, but this is my first first since finding out about the first!
    yayy!
  • You're going to need less trousers and less saint.
  • A casual JoCo fan / friend who teaches high school was just commenting on Facebook about how he has to be careful what songs he's singing to himself today.  I sent him a link to the sluice box mucking video.
  • edited May 2012
    @Angelastic, I've posted your video to Buzzfeed.
  • Fortunately for this couple an expert was on hand to offer advice.
  • The man himself has posted a remix on his main page. :)
  • It's a mucking good remix. Now I want to hear him perform it live. ;-)
  • edited May 2012
    Did anyone manage to download it, and if so, could they put it up somewhere? It reached its download limit on Soundcloud (I presume this is something bandwidth-related rather than JoCo decreeing that only 116 people were allowed it) before I found where the download button was.

ETA: I meant to say thanks to @Craig but got distracted by the remix. Thanks, @Craig! Now more parents will be able to include their kids in the festivities (and maybe find some gold.)