Great Northwest Monkey Migration/SuperTrain trip

edited April 2012 in Everything Else
Hi All,

This is just a quick note to see if there is interest from other Pacific Northwesterners to follow Joco and Roderick as they tour the Northwest in June.

@ghalidrim and I have purchased tickets for the shows in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver (first time to Canada for me. Woo!) June 21, 22, and 23rd. We've got the show tickets but haven't planned any transportation or lodging yet. We're leaning toward taking the train up to the next city each day (it's about 3 hours between each city). 

It'll be a fun long weekend trip, and we wanted to see if there was any interest in traveling together in a merry band of Joco fans?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Could you kidnap JoCo and bring him eastward on the train, along the historic Overland Route, to Laramie? He has a bunch of fans here who have never seen him perform live. He has never, to my knowledge, performed in the state of Wyoming, and his posted schedule won't take him within 1000 miles of us.
  • Ooo, Mariafi, that sounds like fun. Alas, I live on the east coast. Don't forget you need a passport to go to Candada!
  • Maybe I'd be down for the weekend leg of this, but I need to figure out an exit strategy from Canada first.
  • @Bry Who said anything about an exit strategy? CANADA IS GREAT. FOREVER.

I will also be joining this tour! I'm going to Portland for a few days first, then following the monkey brigade back to my home and native land. Join us!
  • As a Vancouverite (well, suburban Vancouverite) I will be going to the Vancouver concert on the 22nd.  Won't be able to do the Portland/Seattle leg though.  Wife is a teacher, and getting time off right at the end of the school year just won't be possible.  :(
  • @Grimoire at least we can see you in Canada, which is still pretty cool.

@ghalidrim pointed out this site to me this morning. $7 bus fare from Portland to Seattle with WIFI. But you can't drink on it (like you can on the train). Might help a few more people make the trip from Portland to Seattle. I'd be willing to give it a try instead of the train if anyone else likes the idea.

http://portlandafoot.org/2012/04/boltbus-launching-in-may-offers-rides-to-seattle-starting-at-1/
  • @mariafi when you say "can't drink" do you mean you can't buy drinks, or that they have an alcohol sniffing dog that will bark at my Nalgene full of tequila?

I like that you can bring a bike instead of luggage if you want.
  • I looked into this idea - I use Amtrak a lot on the East Coast.  It wasn't too expensive - I think it was less than $100 each direction, but the scheduling was less than ideal.  There were 6 or 7 am depatures and/or buses involved.  I decided I am too old for that ..... 
  • Apparently you'll be able to do this whole trip on BoltBus: https://twitter.com/#!/BoltBus/status/202121381859688448 says they're launching PDX-SEA-YVR service at the end of this month. Doesn't look like schedules are out for June, though.

BoltBuses are decently comfy as buses go, for what it's worth -- I've taken them from Boston to New York at least once, possibly including the time @Jinx and I interviewed JoCo (although if memory serves, that time was actually a Megabus). The ones on the Eastern Seaboard feature WiFi and power outlets, if that tips the balance for anyone.

How late can I wait to book the Vancouver show before risking a sellout, or are we past that point already?

• Woo! I think I know how I'm getting to Portland!

@Bry - Vancouver show had plenty of tickets last I checked. It's a 19+ venue this time, which shuts out some of the usual fans. It might sell out nonetheless, but not until pretty late in the game. Plus, if it DOES sell out I can still find you a ticket. (:
  • Have people figured out where they are staying on Sunday after Molly's graduation show?
  • @mariafi and I are staying at the red lion, it's two blocks away, and not too expensive.
  • @ghalidrim Oh cool, I love that hotel. Will get a room there as well :D
  • Thanks for mentioning Molly's show, @aliceandstuff -- I hadn't heard about it, as I'm not party to whatever form of information-dissemination it was originally announced via.

For those similarly benighted, here's her blogpost [does anyone need language warnings, or are we all grown persons who have been on the Internet?]. Show's in Seattle at frequent JoCo venue the Triple Door, Sunday night, June 24. "Special guests" are promised. (Apparently Molly's got enough pull for the mainstage! I hadn't realized.)

Guess I should buy my ticket to that, huh? Guess I should probably figure out if I'm going to Vancouver too...

• @Bry You should sign up for Molly's email list, she has pledged to use it going forward to announce shows and stuff.
  • @aliceandstuff My familiarity with Molly extends basically as far as her association with JoCo and no further -- I'd be going to the Triple Door as much for the special guests as for her. Given that, is it still worth signing up for the mailing list?
  • @Bry Probably not then, no. Sorry to bother you!
  • edited June 2012

So, I finally got confirmation that I can have Friday off work (stupid 60 day pilot project conflicting with real life!) and just purchased my Seattle concert ticket. I will not be taking the train due poor planning/time constraints but I would love to be part of whatever meetups are going on in Seattle since my usual travelling companions have not been able to obtain similar work dispensations and will not be accompanying me.

Also, I will apparently be driving a lot over the weekend (Vancouver -> Seattle (Joco)-> Vancouver (Joco) -> Seattle (Molly) ->Vancouver). If anyone needs transportation and our schedules at all mesh, I can accomodate up to three passengers (provided that their luggage will fit in the trunk of my car ( @chicazul can vouch for the comfort of said backseat & size of luggage space).

• Would have loved to go to all of these shows! Alas, can't be away. Folks need Internet.

Please take video.
  • I won't be making the trip for multiple shows, but will be at the PDX show and would love to meet more Sea Monkeys! Please come say hi - I'll be wearing my red Artificial Heart shirt (the tall female with short brown hair).
  • Tonight!

I've got plans for tonight and tomorrow night, so I can't speak to that, but Vancouver and Seattle for Molly are currently wide open. Is there a good place to meet up either place to have a bit of gaming/food/drinks preshow?
  • I just posted a Spotify list of train-related songs from my collection. Hope you all enjoy the SuperTrain!
  • I'll be riding in on my motorized cycle Friday afternoon. I understand the Showbox opens early. I'll head straight there.
    Give me a shout, I'll be the guy with Helmet Hair.
    I still haven't booked a place to stay. Anyone want to room share? I'll be staying in Seattle till Monday (so I can go to Molly's show), and it'd be great to save some $$ on a room.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm jealous of the folks who are in Seattle and will get to see JoCo, Roderick, Molly, Marian, Angela, Aubrey, Vixy, Tony, Liz, etc. (I'll spend the weekend doing accounting and putting two residences and a church on the Internet.) Please take and post video of both shows!
  • BryBry
    edited June 2012
    Y'all know what time doors open in Seattle? Look for me in line; I'll be the one who's wet.

ETA: Ah, 8pm. Well, not much to do now besides edit this post.
  • Awesome show. Video taken, but not the entire show since my new camera's battery decided to crap out about halfway through Coulton's set and I have not yet purchased a spare. That problem will be remedied tomorrow with the purchase of a back-up so that I can hopefully get all of Molly's show.

Also, I didn't bring my laptop with me, so none of my videos will be posted until I'm reunited with it once back home tomorrow afternoon. Sorry!
  • Yes, great show! Rather envious of those of you who got to stay after lesser mortals were kicked out (perks of being a Sea Monkey, I gather?).

• Wow that Seattle setlist is identical to the previous night in Portland, with one exception.  In Portland he played Ikea right after I Crush Everything.  Some fans had been yelling for it, and he broke down and gave the people what they wanted.

I was really impressed with the band, more so than last year.  You could tell they'd had a lot more time together this time around, and really sounded amazing.  Anyone else feel that way?
  • edited June 2012
    @Jmonkee Yes! They're starting to sound like a real rock band

First Video from Seattle will go here. (Also, I caught all of John Roderick's set at well - I won't link directly since this is Jonathan's forum, but you can find it on my channel.)

I only took one video in Vancouver: Princess Who Saved Herself, which is busily uploading here.
  • If you wanted to actually SEE the Seattle setlist, you can view it here (Thanks to @chicazul for retrieving it!) : http://www.mobypicture.com/user/jadegordon/view/13114873
  • I keep hearing that this SuperTrain idea came from Roderick on the Line. I haven't listened to that; I first heard SuperTrain mentioned on the cruise, and assumed it was a new thing they'd just come up with, so when I saw the thread here I assumed it came from that. Which came first?
  • I have a feeling it was something he had in mind, mentioned it on the cruise, and then fleshed it out on the podcast. I was surprised when watching the videos from the Cruise Q&A, because they predated the podcast mentions (unless they were recorded far in advance, and it seems like they post them as they go and don't have a backlog).
  • edited June 2012
    I'm pretty sure (especially after re-watching that video) that Supertrain refers to an old tv show. Roderick On The Line has taken it in strange, inside-joke directions though.
  • Well, I see have have some YouTubing to do!
  • edited June 2012
    And if you want the non-mobile version of Wikipedia's article on Supertrain, click this elegant and finely crafted link I stole from the Foglios.

ETA: Wow. For a series that only had 9 episodes, there are 3 assassin/hitman plots, 3 kidnapping/hostage plots, 1 rehash of "Man in the Iron Mask", 1 counterfeit money plot, and 1 jewel heist plot...
  • I highly recommend seeking out the trailer and the news coverage for the series on YouTube. I did not waste any of those minutes!
  • edited July 2012
    I was taking video during parts of the trip and I made it into a music video:

• That's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread - which I am eating toward the end of the video. ^.~;

Man, I hope Supertrain rolls through my town again someday!
  • That was one of the best trips I have ever been on, probably only exceeded by JCCC one and two.
  • edited July 2012
    Awesome video! Loved the footage from JCCC2 and of Roderick's onstage clowning.

BTW, for future tours: Amtrak does go through Denver, and it's a beautiful ride through the Rockies. (Hint-hint.)
  • @BrettGlass I don't think anyone reading this has any say in tour itineraries, but I'll keep that in mind for my future vacation plans :)
  • Great Video! I love the editing.

Anna and I had fun fun hanging out with the supertrain crowd, even though we were stuck with normal non-super car travel. If it is at all possible, next time it will be the supertrain for us also!

Dylan
  • Bit of modesty on @DylanFm's part there, he didn't mention that one of the battling robots in the vido is his!