Those left behind

edited January 2012 in Everything Else
So I bet there are a few others (I hope there are a few others) who like myself neither got the Level Four or are going on the cruise. 

If I'm the only one then it's going to get awful quiet round here, though on the plus side I can sit around in my pants and drink straight out of the carton.

So what plans do everyone else have to wile away the hours until the others come back?

For myself I am upping the geek stakes and learning html, before moving onto Javascript. I'm nearly 40 and I figure I've denied this side of my nerdiness for too long. Seriously if you cut me mayonaise should come out. 

Started out today and it was easier than I was expecting but then it was entry level so I'm not about to make great things but I reckon it will keep me going until the tales of sea monkey camaraderie come in.

If you spotted the geek reference in this post without the power of google award yourself one geek point, but only one mind as it is a bit blatant.

Comments

• I'm Level Four, but I'm not cruising.  I try to be a busybody regardless, but it's going to be quiet around here when everyone else is on the boat.
  • I say we rearrange all the furniture and paint the walls a different colour. When they come back, we'll put on elaborate makeup to make ourselves seem older and claim their vessel was lost at sea 30 years ago.
  • I'm neither a level 4 nor a cruiser because I'm in college and can't afford these things.

Hopefully someday, if he does the cruise every year...
  • I say we rearrange all the furniture and paint the walls a different colour.
    I suppose with @Bry's help we might be able to change the CSS, but it's possible that he doesn't have that sort of low-level control.
  • @weirdojace I won't be going next year either as I have a wedding to pay for at the end of this year!
    That will not give me time to save up for me and the then mrs to go. We have the added expense of having to cross the briny first as we are in the UK so that does not help.

I might just go to Scarborough and go round Peaseholme park in a pedalo whilst listening to my ipod surely that would be the same thing?

• I expect that Those Left Behind will probably short-sheet my bunk while I'm gone.
  • Maybe we can have special "Missed The Boat" t-shirts made up.
  • @brettglass I'm not sure I want to go near your bunk, I know what happens in there!

Although I could get me Vera? Note to self, rifle (see what I did there!) Bretts bunk while he's gone.

@mtgordon that is a fantastic idea, if only I knew somewhere in this crazy world where you could get specially printed t-shirts and other amusing paraphernalia printed on demand (truly shameless advertising) but surely in the 21st century technology has not reached sufficiently advanced levels I mean I haven't even got my sky car yet.

And where are the travelling tubes? 

• So every one else is going then.
    Wow.
    Now I do feel left out.

sigh.
  • I'm not going because of school and it's expensive.  He didn't really buy my excuse though.
  • I just converted one of the uninitiated to JoCo Mania at the 8 PM Royce Hall show. Try to do *that* on a pudgy ol' boat!
  • Seriously! Guys! Rearrange everything, change all the colours and rename the forum "For the Sea Monkeys, in Memoriam"!
  • We - the non-level-4-non-cruise-ship-cruising forum folks - are gonna have a play-off-like song voting thing *daily* while the sea monkey are seamonkeying. And *drumroll* we're gonna have cake!
  • Mmmm cake? No lying? You wouldn't lie about cake would you?
  • Is the cake delicious and moist?
  • So long as it comes with grief counseling to get over the fact I'm not on the cruise, I'm okay with it.

Also, I'm with @Jutze, let's HAVE a game! Let's have a big fun game on the forums! :D
  • I vote we take JoCo's space station in space apart and reassemble it in his office/studio.

I'm rocking the game idea, we ought to synchronise time zones if we are going to make anything work, and what games do we reckon, will I need a snorkel? 
  • I suggest we record a cover of this thing as a send-off to all the Seamonkeys.

• I've got too many teeth to be Shane MacGowan...
  • Most people do. And my ears certainly aren't big enough to play him either.
  • edited February 2012
    Haha. Well, I'm "down," as it were.
  • Last year I said it felt like the rapture had actually happened and I was left behind. So glad I won't be alone again this year.

• Apparently this is being organized.
  • @mtgordon I will defo be catching as much of that as relative time zones permit. PST is Pacific Standard Time right which puts it about middle of the night so that will also be a fail for me then.

I miss all the good stuff.

And now the stuff that is going on while the good stuff is.

Poot.
  • So is this going to be the only active thread over the next week?
  • Not quite but I can almost here the cyberweeds blowing around
  • edited February 2012
    I thought this was interesting: Suzanne Vega, “The Mother of the MP3,” Records “Tom’s Diner” with the Edison Cylinder (via Open Culture). Here's an intro to the previous video.
  • one good thing is the cruise threads will die down. On the old format I just blocked all those. wish we still had that option.
  • Because we're lonely and miserable, here's something The Oatmeal made that perfectly illustrates JoCo's point vis "media companies should stop being obstructive idiots and make their content easily purchaseable": http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones
  • I'm L4BLB (Level 4 But Left Behind).

I tried starting #SeaMonkeyTruths to use their absence as an opportunity to reveal the truth about the Sea Monkeys (a la Wikileaks). No takers, though ...

-eP
  • For the record, the term "Land Ponies" coined by @Jutze is awesome.
  • @skyen laughed really loud at that, it really does emphasise JoCo's point about availability.

@ePeterso2 Land Pony is an excellent title and I am happy to bear it with grace.

@craig Fine as that is, I can top it with this hat although I cannot begin to fathom how one would go about making it!
  • That does it. #LandPonies it is.
  • edited February 2012
    I vote if we go on the cruise next year, we all go wearing land pony life vests. Or Land Pony shirts.
    Anybody up for RickRolling all the cruise threads?

• You win this beanie round, @St_Trousers.
  • Take the first letter of
    • Lady Aberlin's Muumuu,
    • Artificial Heart,
    • Nemeses,
    • Down Today,
    • Pizza Day,
    • Octopus,
    • Not About You, and
    • You Ruined Everything -
    and you get LANDPONY!
  • I haven't been coming to the JoCo forums for over a year, popped in once or twice but it seemed as if EVERY conversation was about something I cannot now and probably will never  be able to afford to go on.  I got sick of trying to find threads NOT about that cruise.  How about those of us left behind create 23 new topics of discussion so that we knock all the cruise topics off the front page?  of course, it will only last until they get back- and fill the forums with chat about how great the cruise was.  *sigh*  
  • I haven't been coming to the JoCo forums for over a year, popped in once or twice but it seemed as if EVERY conversation was about something I cannot now and probably will never be able to afford to go on. I got sick of trying to find threads NOT about that cruise. How about those of us left behind create 23 new topics of discussion so that we knock all the cruise topics off the front page? Of course, it will only last until they get back- and fill the forums with chat about how great the cruise was. *sigh*
  • @JoAnn in VA: Welcome back, in any event.