Something Subtle

edited January 2012 in JoCo Music
Apologies if this has already been covered. I have tried searching under several criteria and come up with nothing so thought I would start a thread.

Whilst busy playing about in illustrator creating my latest T Shirt Masterpiece (what delusions of grandeur?) Resolutions came on in the background.
Now it's not one of my faves to be fair, it reeks of rushing it through because he had a party to go to.

That was until the hook in the background caught my attention.

If you have it (come on guys silly question really) put it on and have a listen and see what you think? I'll wait here, don't look ahead.

Well did you get it? The slide guitar and the toy piano riffing off one another are playing a very slow version of Auld Lang Syne. Suddenly I am reappraising this song and my love of JoCo (in a manly bearded way of course) has taken on a new height and I have to credit this song as better than I originally thought.

Any one else found something like this or have anything they want to point out?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Not being very familiar with the song, I never would have noticed.  However, after glancing at the JoCoPedia entry for it, the trivia section says, "The main theme used in the tune is a slowed down slide guitar version of Auld Lang Syne."  Always fun to catch stuff like that on your own, though of course!

Reminds me of the first time I noticed Me First and the Gimme Gimmes were singing covers of songs but occasionally covering a DIFFERENT song musically, like when they covered Sloop John B, but played Teenage Lobotomy musically.  Then I went looking and found out they were doing it much more and I just wasn't familiar with the tunes they were sneaking in on me.

EDIT: WhoSampled is a pretty cool website.
  • edited January 2012
    I also checked JoCoPedia after reading that post, but I checked the history for the page as well, and noticed that that trivia was added tomorrow (some messed up time zones, I guess) so I figured @St_Trousers added it.

However, it has already been noted in the Thing A Week Redux entry. Apparently he's a real sucker for a slow Auld Lang Syne.

@harpo787, that reminds me of the 'One Song to the Tune of Another' game on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. It also reminds me of the many parody songs that I didn't realise were parodies until I either heard another parody of the same song (and even then I don't always get it right. When I first heard it, I thought the great Luke Ski's '88 lines about 44 Simpsons' was a parody of The Brunching Shuttlecocks' '88 lines about 42 Presidents'. Oh, how wrong I was), or heard the original song playing in a supermarket or somewhere and did a double take, wondering why they'd play a funny song like the one I know on the radio.
  • @Angelastic- ; Most of the stuff on Wierd Al's first 4 albums I heard first as a parody......
  • That's nothing.  I first heard Queen's Under Pressure as Ice, Ice Baby.

• @Oboewan: I actually haven't listened to that much Weird Al (I know; that needs to be corrected) so not long ago when I heard the original of a song for the first time and said, 'I know several parodies of that song!' the guy I was with (whose musical tastes I respect because he is somewhat familiar with JoCo and knows the words to the theme song of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Complaints Department better than I do) said, 'Oh yeah, that Weird Al one...' and it turned out I didn't know the Weird Al one. I guess that makes me two degrees out-of-touch with popular music.

But I guess we're even; he thought Title Of The Song was an original by Yale's Out of the Blue, when in fact it's a Da Vinci's Notebook song. I think he also thought that Why Does the Sun Shine was by TMBG.
  • @harpo & @angelastic yes it was me who updated the wiki. Sorry about the time stamp, when I type at 88 wpm the flux capacitor kicks in...

Haven't checked out all the redux yet, thought I was on an original scoop there. Oh well.

Weird Al is great in a different way, my daughter loves him and when he toured the UK last year we took her to see him as her first concert, can't wait for JoCo to come this way so he can be her second, she left this weekend singing RE: Your Brains which has to be a win however you look at it.

I am also going to have to go and check out some of those others.

• Oh dear back to back posts.
    Still the other voices all get their say at least!

If you've listened to the Guthrie Theatre you may have heard the acoustic version of Blue Sunny Day.

At the point where the bridge goes back into the last verse the chord progression is unmistakably that of the start of the Sesame Street theme. Does this mean the vampire in question is in fact The Count?

I think a little bit of my childhood just died...