Level Four - SPOILER THREAD!

edited January 2012 in Everything Else
If you've already received your box, you can discuss it freely here!  If you haven't yet received your box but don't mind being spoiled, you can join in too! 

If you want to discuss Level Four but don't want want to be spoiled, you should go to this thread instead.

Comments

• The Artificial Heart stems! The Dissolve Clavinet! The Sucker Punch bass! The Fraud guitars! The Good Morning Tucson organ! And the Je Suis marimbas!!

The mind boggles when one considers what the late Pierre Schaeffer (1910 - 1995) could have achieved with these sonic tidbits! Musique concrète & numérique!

Thanks again, Mr. JoCo and Company!

• In my excitement to get the box open, I failed to pay attention to exactly what the writing on it said: "I really hope you like it"

It's the box from Dissolve!
  • What is the tune on the Nostalgia Device? I can't quite make it out.

I was sad that the bonus live shows were not included in the mp3 download link but, luckily, I found an easy to use OGG to MP3 converter.  I have determined the shows to be from 5/13/09 and 2/20/11.  The latter seems to be missing Tom Cruise Crazy from the encore (according to the setlist at JoCoPedia). Weird.

I look forward to seeing the imminent flood of remix albums via these stems. Dubstep Heart, anyone?
  • I've been trying to place the tune on the nostalgia device as well.
  • Good Dissolve catch, DPC!
  • I am glad I am not the only one who could not pick out the tune from the Nostalgia device, I assume it is Aritifical Heart but have not been able to identify it either. Does not stop me from thinking it super cool.

• I assume the Nostalgia Device would play an older (nostalgic) song to comfort us in the face of all the scary new songs, which is in keeping with the banter at the recent live shows.  Code Monkey? Re: Your Brains?
    Or, perhaps, the song is ABOUT Nostalgia somehow.
  • Regarding Part 337, I believe the melody is a slowed/transposed version of the end of "Down Today."
  • Speak of the various parts, I looked at the Outdated Technology Platform before discarding it.  Was anyone else's reaction: "OMG IT'S TRANSPARENT!!"?
  • @hasselhofford: Totally...I'm thinking I may have to frame and display it...its just too cool to keep it cooped up in the sleeve.
  • The Outdated Technology Platform was probably completely opaque when it was first manufactured.

Planning!
  • Did anyone else notice that the digital download site is missing some folders? From what I can tell, its missing: "(alac) 2", "(flac) 5", and "(flac) the show"

It also happens to have duplicates of: "(alac) 5" and "(alac) the show" (which would explain why the 'flac' folders of those are missing)
  • @napmasterc- i noticed that, and it also doesn't have the live shows! which is a bummer. i had also thought we'd be getting new demos... are we expecting more to come?

no complaints here though, don't get me wrong. the package is wonderful.
  • I haven't been to the digital download site yet--letting the fever die down a little before I wget the entire thing.  :)
  • Assuming someone else would have mentioned this now if it was a common problem, but I'll check anyway just in case.

Anyone else's Stroller Town ogg file corrupted on part #19?  The file won't play on my computer and makes part #19 turn off as soon as it gets to the song.  If I want to listen to anything after it, I have to go backwards through the songs to get to the song after it and go from there.
  • i copied mine off of my playbutton and deleted everything but the new live recordings, but the stroller town ogg works fine for me. check your messages (you could convert yourself, but i being a completist would go nuts not having the intended file myself).
  • @fireworksordie, that works much better (as in it actually works).  Thanks!
  • I was wondering if anyone had figured out what the super awesometastic unique shirts that we get mean? I'm not particularly adept at scripting, or at math, so I've no idea what they mean.
  • Sidenote: You Oughta Know.

Why haven't you guys ever told me this exists?  My nemesis was probably keeping it a secret from me.
  • @The Clinger (we need a way to make at-sign replies work for multiple-word usernames): Yeah, backstory on that: "You Oughta Know" was released in a blog post in April 2007 but for some reason, JoCo never put it on the Music page / MP3 store until some years later. @Spektagulo posted about discovering it a few months ago; some more details in that thread.
  • @gbanas92 The shirts contain gang symbols. Wear the wrong shirt in certain Chicago suburbs and you're a dead man.
  • @Dr. Perry Cox: Make sure you pause part 19 before plugging it in. I had the same problem.
  • Still doesn't work. I'm going to wait a bit before emailing Scarface about it, though, since it may not matter according to the email I just got my with my tracking information (Quite useful after receiving it), Scarface is still uploading files to the downloads page. So, the live shows may show up on there yet.
  • Ok, so...this isn't really a "level 4 spoiler," but I just noticed that the regular "it's not a real heart" shirt has a little triangle of glow-in-the-dark ink. its the white triangle in the top, middle of the heart.
  • edited January 2012
    That was a spoiler! Now I know what the shirt will look like in the dark! WAAAAAH!
  • @srdownie haha. Well, what I was aiming at was that other participation levels have received that shirt. (at least I think they have) So its a spoiler that doesn't necessarily apply strictly to level 4s.
  • @srdownie - I think it's actually Park Slope gang symbols.

John Scalzi tweeted a video last night of his daughter baffledly handling the obsolete technology.
  • The Scalzi thing looked very, very staged.
  • The fun thing about all the Ogg files on Part No. 19 is that Monty's cube is four cubes over from mine at work.  I've been using Ogg files for many years and find them very convenient for many purposes.
  • mtgordon: is there a way to use the OGG files on my laptop?  Like just plug in Part 19 and start playing?  My computer looked at me funny for trying to do something like this...
  • edited January 2012
    @harpo787 - VLC works great, and there are many other players that also support it (or can be made to support it)

I myself have been using OGGs on my phone for listening- the quality transparency is much more efficient at lower bitrates, and Android natively supports it (and natively supports gapless playback with it!).
  • Feeling dumber already: VLC?
  • VLC = VLC Media Player

If you want to convert the OGG files to another format, you can use Audacity to do so.
  • edited January 2012
    VLC is literally the best video player.

BTW, they do have BluRay playback working with it now right, just not the menus because it's a proprietary format?

Also the first time I was unboxing, I was flipping part 613 instead of part 449. I then proceeded to feel dumb the second time I unboxed.

EDIT: Just me or does the play/pause button on part 19 not pause where you are in the song and instead restarts the song when you press play again. Also if no one noticed, holding down the previous and next song buttons will change the volume.
  • Converting from one lossy format (e.g. vorbis) to another lossy format (e.g. mp3) is suboptimal.  Conversion from e.g. FLAC to mp3 is much, much better than from vorbis to mp3.  If you're Level 4, you have a choice of several lossless formats (FLAC and ALAC) from AtoZ for conversion to any arbitrary lossy codec.  Of course, they also have mp3, which works out-of-the-box on Windows and Mac.  FWIW, Ogg mostly works out-of-the-box on Linux.

Am I the first to notice that the Artificial Heart Stems don't include source tracks for "Want You Gone"? Maybe that's coming later. 
  • Well since it's a remix he may not have gotten it from Elegant Too
  • @Jazzy_Josh I got a sheet with my Part 19 that explained how the it worked, so, yes, I  did notice both of those things
  • @Dr. Perry Cox Reading is hard.
  • If you guys are on Windows, I cannot recommend Foobar2000 enough. It plays OGG and every other audio format (for the most part).
  • Part 19, Track 001 mentions a card which was to be included with the various adhesive parts. As a helpful package carrier--no doubt under the employ of my nemesis--managed to cause many of the parts of the kit to be in places other than that listed on the cover of the kit, I cannot locate this card.

Whom should I contact to address this matter? I am looking forward to accessing my additional digital materials.
  • @Pao if you mean the card with the download code, mine was inside my CD and not with the stickers so you might want to root around in the foam to double check. otherwise I would email Scarface and mention this with your order number.
  • The download code card (no part number) fell out of my CD at around the 18:13 mark in my unboxing video.
  • Same here. Check the CD case.
  • I have a player device for the obsolete technology item. It has the same playlist as the CD. When my youngest, age 16 saw the record player and hooked it up he listened to Artificial Heart and then went into the dusty cabinet which contains our vinyls from the 60s and 70s. He listened to Firesign Theater and an old Monty Python Record. I wonder if he will sustain his curiosity long enough to get through acousitc Dylan, Steelye Span, and a few acid rock records...

He and I have differing opinions about Artificial Heart. I particularly enjoy Glasses and Alone at Home.I think that it is a great album. He thinks that it needs more robots, zombies, geek stuff and humor.

I had trouble making the button play but eventually got it to work. Since three of us (myself and two of my kids) were present at the unboxing, We used the sound from a youtube unboxing video so that we could all listen at once. Hard for three people to share a set of earbuds.

I think that the decision making calibration device is weighted. 8 out of 10 times it came up on the same side. Of course this may mean that I am a special individual. I bet my nemisis did not get heads 8 times.

• Aha! Success! The card was under the CD, which I had glanced at but not removed. While I regard the CD to also be for an Outdated Technology Platform, I had not yet discarded it due to the inscription on its cover.

Thanks everyone!
  • As is documented on video from 12:35 to 14:45, I got 10 out of 10 triangles.

My Decision Cylinder works perfectly!
  • paopao
    edited January 2012
    @hasselhofford, the site seems to be wget-resistant due to the login. Here's a not-even-fully-tested Python script that uses mechanize to login then grab files corresponding to a regex pattern. It's not pretty, shows you no status (`watch ls-l' is your friend here), and will probably eat things.

$ python getHeart.py YOURCODE [email protected] filetyperegex

Note that "filetyperegex" can be something simple, like "flac" or "mp3" or "VIDEO". And there's no reason this shouldn't also work on Windows. You will need Python and the mechanize package for Python.
  • When we opened our box, and my son was calibrating the logarithmic decision mechanism, he looked at me in disbelieve and said "AM I BEING PLAYED?"  Um, yeah Jack, yes you are.  :)

This box--absofrickenlutely awesome. 
  • When I said the script was not fully tested, that was totally true. Apparently something causes it to quit (with no error) after downloading the second file. I'll look at it more after work tonight.