The Geek-Jock Convergence Is The End Of The World

edited November 2011 in Everything Else
What? Nobody has transcribed this yet?!? Let's go, people!

Comments

• A review of said recorded events.
  • That sounds like the best night of anyone's life. Ever.
  • It really was. I posted a video I took in the other thread about Hodgman's tour.
  • edited November 2011
    I guess I'm a bit confused by the title of this topic (and of the song). I and my employees probably exemplify the "Geek-Jock Convergence;" in fact, we take pride in being "athletic geeks." We scale rooftops; spelunk through attics, basements, and crawl spaces; make holes in concrete foundations and brick walls with big hammer drills; climb tall towers; dig trenches; lay conduit; drive ground rods into the ground and lift huge reels of cable to do one of the geekiest jobs imaginable: providing high speed Internet service. Sometimes, one of us will be dangling 50 or more feet in the air and stop to take a tech support call on his or her Bluetooth headset. (Yes, I said "her;" we have two female college students working for us now, and they both climb, run cables and machine metal.)  And once we're done with that exhausting work, we come back to the office, build servers, configure routers, work on microwave transceivers, and write code. (Yep, we're code monkeys.) Every one of our current employees plays in at least one D&D game or MMORPG. One burly fellow (whom Paul and Storm met in Boulder; Paul jokingly called him my "minion") is a former high school football star; we also have an ex-cheerleader. Two others came with us to see JoCo, Paul and Storm the last time they performed together in Denver; they got ALL the references. It's not as if combining athleticism and geekery automatically results in some sort of matter/antimatter annihilation! ;-)
  • @Brett In the business, we call those "outliers."
  • edited November 2011
    It isn't! But it also isn't the end of the world.

Unless, of course, CERN creates a planet-eating black hole. (Hmmm.... Maybe this is what Hodgman was thinking of?)
  • Actually, the geek-jock convergence is both logical and inevitable, primarily because there are a lot more ways to pay the rent/put food on the table in geekery than in jockery (which if it isn't a word, should be). I know a fair number of former/current athletes of widely variable current fitness levels in engineering/tech jobs. Even a lot of the star jocks from my high school class have found themselves in a variety of tech jobs (discounting the alarming number of attorneys my HS class spawned, though to be fair, a few of them are IP/patent attorneys). And the number of "cool kids" who have since admitted to D&D playing/cosplay obsessions/etc. is astonishing.
  • My sister's a geek, and had what could be considered a geek physique (though admittedly this came more from having kids than from overdosing on WoW, pizza and Jolt cola), but she lost 80kg by cycling a whole lot. Maybe geeks meeting that particular stereotype eventually need to become jocks to survive.
  • I go running running 3 times a week, also go to the gym 3 times a week and I'm work as a paintball marshall until I hear back from the RAF about my medical. Not so nerdy so far, but I spend atleast one night a week at a wargaming club playing 40k, and spend most of my olther nights playing games (Skyrim at the moment) or just browsing the internet for memes. At my wargaming club there's only 1 or 2 out of the usual 15-20 that look stereotypicly nerdy. Looks like we're breaking the stereotype?
  • Breaking the stereotype? Perhaps. Or maybe the End of the World is indeed nigh?
  • How long is it till ragnarok again?
  • It used to come on every Saturday morning. No, waitaminnit, that's Fraggle Rock. ;-)
  • Ragnarok is a year long event starting on December 21, 2011 and continues until December 21, 2012 when the Mayan long-form calendar ends. Just a few weeks!
  • edited November 2011
    Or maybe you're thinking of Catnarok, the apocalyptic battle of the LOLCat mythology: