JoCo Cruise Crazy 2 AV Club

edited October 2011 in JoCo Cruise
OK, I should be more dedicated and read all 1000+ comments on the JCCC2 thread, but I used Google instead and I can find no mention of coordinated plans to film the event. Re-living the first cruise through videos on YouTube has been great, but I wondered if a group could be organised to do things in a more, well, organised way.

I have a Pentax K5 and should be packing some decent glass, so I can do 1080p video that doesn't stink[0] but the audio that my camera records is a bit lame. I am thinking about getting a GorillaPod and strapping the camera down to record the events I go to.

Does anyone know if a sound desk recording could be made[1]? If not, does anyone have a decent mic + laptop that they wouldn't mind being in charge of? I would clone myself, find a stash of money behind the sofa and get set up with a Blue Yeti, but there is a very real chance that my darling wife may kill one of us and dump the body overboard[2] (clearly I would bring my own portable cloning equipment with me to avoid paying for additional air fare on the way out and set my clone free once we got back to port).

[0] And fill up a 32 GB SD card in roughly 100 minutes. Maybe 720p will be fine...
[1] Clearly anyone == Paul/Storm.
[2] She has ninja skills, or at least black clothing and a will to succeed.

Comments

• Arg. Foolish me doesn't do enough research. I can only do 4GB chunks (stupid FAT32) so it looks like 20 minute chunks is all I get at 720p/25fps while hoping the quality is OK with the bit rate turned down is OK. I also apparently have to worry about the sensor overheating. For this reason I will require a steady supply of cold drinks. Not for me you understand. Even better if they have little umbrellas in...

Also, I didn't mean to belittle the efforts of last years recorders - your efforts are much appreciated, and if I am honest, I mostly would like better sound quality.

Right, I am going to hide for a bit and see if a gremlin brings me a proper video camera, a microphone and a shiny red bike.
  • @MJPM started a discussion of coordinating video in the Get Excited thread.  I only remember because I commented saying that I wished we had better audio. 

I'm at work at the moment (shhhhh), so I don't have the time re-read how the coordination ended up, but checking in with him is as good a place as any to start.
  • I've heard nothing but good things about the Blue Yeti.  Have you seen/used one?  It's certainly within my budget, and I'd be happy to get one and bring it along with my laptop, using it in lieu of the Samson C01U I used on the last cruise - assuming I can get a recommendation on one.

That said, I'm not unhappy with the performance of the C01U ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic0aWet0_6I for an example of my footage, combining the video from my camera with the audio from my C01U capturing from Audacity ).

By the by, my recollection was that HAL wouldn't give us access to the sound board.  No specific reason was given, but I assume it's a security thing.
  • I haven't done a lot of research into mics. The Blue Yeti seems to be well liked, but don't take my word for it.

I honestly don't know if doing a live recording with that sort of mic is the right way to go though. I think a stereo shotgun is almost certainly better (http://www.rodemic.com/mics/stereovideomic for instance). It all gets a bit expensive though since you then need a sound card of passable quality. I haven't used a laptop internal sound card in years. Maybe they aren't total rubbish. I have a Lexicon Alpha here, which is OK. I only use it for playback though so I don't know how good it is at recording.
  • I'm not really in the same league as you guys, but I'm eagerly awaiting November 3 to see what Canon comes out with to replace my HD-enough-for-YouTube-but-not-for-iMovie G9. :) I've been told my G9 gets good sound (though not as good as one of these fancy mics), so I hope that's still the case for the G13 or whatever. Anyway, I volunteer for nostril-cam duty again. Stick to what you know, they say.
  • How about hiring a proper video camera?

I expect that given the stage lights, the Sony would be fine. Its sound quality is a bit poor, so using a decent shotgun mic with a laptop / something else would be better. I know tape is a bit old school, but setting it up and letting it run for 60 minutes sounds good to me! I don't know if dumping a recording from tape and encoding to h.264 at a good enough bit rate can be done automatically, which I think would be essential to stop it getting in the way of enjoying the cruise!

Anyway, just a thought.
  • I wonder if the powers-that-be can get you access to the audio board feed...
  • As I've said elsewhere, I'm on board for any AV effort. I'll go back into my DVD making hole now...
  • Who here knows about good cameras for recording concerts (and also making fan videos and taking pictures)? Several of you, I know. I'd like to replace my Canon G9, and with no G13 on the horizon I was considering the Canon S100. I saw a couple of comments saying it doesn't have very good sound when it's loud, though. I've been pretty happy with the sound on my numerous concert recordings using the G9, and have only noticed distortion at especially loud concerts, and even that was pretty listenable. Does anyone know how the microphones on it compare with the one on the G9? Also, the Lumix DMC-GX1 seems pretty nice. It's not out yet, but can anyone who has experience with Lumix cameras tell me how good it is for concert recording, especially in terms of audio?

I realise this is not a camera advice forum, but the dpreview forum won't let me in because apparently my IP has been used by a spammer, and you people know quite a bit about filming concerts and have something to gain (i.e. good footage of the cruise and UK/Europe concerts) by helping me get the best camera for the job. This is your chance to get the camera of your choice onto various stages filming up JoCo's nostrils in all their glory. ;) My main reason for replacing the G9 is to have full-HD video to make music videos and other videos with, and I can easily tell which have that, but I don't want to discover I've sacrificed the possibility to make decent concert recordings without fiddling around with separate audio recording.

Oh also, if anyone knows how to get around that dastardly 4GB file-size limit @dooferlad mentioned, that would also be awesome. 
  • If you're interested in sound quality, and that's a failing of what would otherwise be a good video/still camera, might it be worth getting a separate sound recording device?
  • Well, that would be a possible fallback, but I'd rather have a camera that has good sound (or somewhere to plug in an external mic) so I don't have to mess about with synching sound to the video later.
  • Fair enough.  +1 on the microphone jack; my video camera (alas, SD) had a microphone jack, and none of the HD hardware I have now supports that at all.
  • I'm probably bringing my GoPro HD Hero, which has great video but only so-so sound, so ideally, someone with far more editing skills than I possess could use it as drop in with a base audio track that's far better.
  • I love my Panasonic TM700, but the onboard mic leave a lot to be desired. Good thing it has a mic jack and hot shoe.

Example recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZfBpU2Jwg (note: Youtube no likey the cam's native 24 fps and causes video/audio sync issues).
  • I don't know anything about cameras or mics, but if you want a host-type person to be in front of the camera and make snarky comments or what not, I'm happy to help!
  • RickSpringfield ONLY if you do so in really bad French!
  • Malheureusement, mon francais n'est pas ci pire que ca!  Le mieux que je peut faire c'est d'ecrire sans aucune accent.
  • I was going to suggest that too, @Thalandor46 :)
  • @angelastic I will totally be willing to carry a gigantic boom mike around and follow behind you with your camera.
  • edited November 2011
    While I love the idea, I fear that the entire camera+@aliceandstuff+gigantic boom mic assembly wouldn't fit in my bag, and I do like to take my camera everywhere. 

[edit]
    Now I'm waiting for the big boom mike
    And it knows where I'm gonna be
    The big boom
    I'm always getting closer to
    The big boom
    And it will catch up to me
    The big boom

Actually, I'm more worried about the sound quality of my camera-to-be for concerts where there won't be a horde of other fans with recording equipment and an unofficial DVD with all the best stuff stuck together, such as JoCo's European tour, and other assorted musicians I follow around. But since I will have that same camera on the cruise, my own videos of it on YouTube will be good enough to watch, long before anyone's edited someone else's sound into them.

• If someone tells me they want me to, I'll pack my Blue Yeti.
  • edited January 2012
    Having finally come down from the high that was MAGFest X, and finished up (mostly) with those video tasks, I'm ready to dive into this thread again to be way more prepared this time for filming on the cruise. Back on my DVD thread, @paulandstorm announced that the soundboard and video would be captured from the sound booth and would be made available free for us AV geeks to distribute to the rest of the Sea Monkeys and beyond. That said, most of us in this thread will still be participating in general photography and filming, and some of us may want to team up to have good coverage of events and shows so it can be captured for posterity.

I am so happy with how my new camera is working out! Loving this Panasonic TM700! Just check out Blue, fellow Sea Monkey to be, performing at MAGFest (boy, is this a shameless plug or what?!):

• edited February 2012
    Hi,

My new camera was stolen three days ago, but I got a new new one (just like the old new one, but a different colour, since that was in stock) delivered this morning, so yay! (Luckily I could afford to get it without waiting for the insurance to come through.) I was just wondering, how many people have appropriate equipment to film Molly's poolside show? I'm thinking waterproof cases will be necessary. I have a large Aquapac camera bag which will work for my old camera, but might be a bit big for my new one. I'm almost tempted to get a real waterproof case (i.e. made especially for the camera, so it's easier to use the controls and harder to accidentally get the wrong parts of the bag over the lens) for the new one, but I doubt I can get one (or even a smaller Aquapac bag) before I leave in SIX DAYS OMG. I mean maybe I could have if I'd ordered one at the same time I ordered the new camera (though I couldn't get one from the same place), but the camera was the priority.

So what do other people have? This show won't be filmed by the cruise people since it's not in the main auditorium, so it definitely needs to be filmed by us, and it might be difficult to find spots where there's no danger of the camera getting wet. Are there waterproof cases that also allow a tripod to be attached?

ETA: Due to the hazards involved in changing battery while in a watery environment, it might be best if whoever has the longest-lasting camera battery gets or borrows a waterproof case.
  • I'll have my Playsport with me.  It's rated for filming underwater (shallow) even.  Which would be a different way to record the concert.  If I recall correctly from the last cruise, the battery lasts a bit over an hour I think?
  • I'll have my GoPro HD Hero with assorted mounts (including a suction cup) and can put the waterproof door on it, but it won't have the best sound. I've also got the battery backpack for it (just in the last week or so), so I should have plenty of life and both 8GB and 32GB SD cards so it should have plenty of storage.
  • I will have my Canon Powershot D10, which is an underwater camera.  (I have some nice pics from Dunn's River Falls using it).
  • If anyone is willing to share their concert footage with me (and entrust me with a JCCC2 video project thing), I will have a 750 GB external USB hard drive, and possibly others if I can shift all my files to a free HDD. I will be in room 5071 for video sharing activities and whatnot.
  • Excellent. Thanks, @MJPM.

I'm still trying to figure out my offloading options. I'm loathe to travel with my 2TB external, which has all my music files on it, plus then I'd also have to tote the (whole)laptop, which is freaking huge, heavy, and unbelievably slow.

Unless I decide to bite the bullet and get the MacBook Air w/ the 256GB flash storage... Sigh. It's only money, right?
  • Depending on the logistics, I can record the pool show with my 1Dmk4 with external mic. Obviously, it's not highly water friendly, although it is splash resistant. I'd have to see if I can manage to squeeze a tripod in, though.
  • Oh, and @autojim, I will have a spare 1TB USB3 external portable drive with me. It's really spare, so if needed you could take it home with you to offload data and send it back to me whenever.
  • @gbasden Thanks. I'll look you up if I need it.
  • edited February 2012
    All,

On the Unofficial schedule I have marked the first Sunday night 10:15 PM - 10:45 PM as an informal meet up at the sea view pool to discuss, reminisce, plan, or just shoot the breeze and add faces to the monikers we go by. Just as a kick off of AV activities aboard.
  • @Angelastic Bummer about your old new camera. Stoopid thieves. Also, yes! I have a cannon s95 with a underwater case that works very well - although the audio will have to come from somewhere else. I think I already posted some samples earlier in this thread. As far as waterproof cases with tripod mounts, Ikelite makes excellent ones that do have the screw mounts (what I have). I also have a H4n for audio - although I'm still learning its interface.

@MJPM Excellent!
  • Ooh, I ended up getting a Canon s100 (twice!) We could take a family photo of our cameras (with another camera.) :)
  • BTW, I'll be bringing my original 5D SLR as well as my 1d Mark 4, and a bunch of lenses. If anyone feels like they'd like to play around with an SLR rather than using a point and shoot, feel free to find me. I'm happy to lend out the 5D.
  • I'm bringing my Canon PowerShot G9 with its waterproof housing (which I'll be using to document the Undersea Monkey dives), I can take from-the-pool video with it, but the sound will be a bit murky. 
  • I'll be bringing my Olympus PEN E-PL1 with my wonderful 25mm (50mm-equivalent) f/1.4 lens so I should be able to get good shots in even the somewhat low light of shipboard.
  • Just arrived home, have not even had time to even GLANCE at my video footage yet.
  • Awesome.  I'm looking forward to seeing some of the things I missed, and reliving some of the golden moments through the magic of technology.

Does anyone, by chance, have the Comedy of Doom - most specifically the "Star Trek Oregon Trail" bit?  That was amazing.
  • edited February 2012
    This is just a test:

Admins, let me know if I need to unembed YouTube vids or not. Otherwise, enjoy!
  • Should I start uploading cruise videos immediately, or should I start with the Paul and Storm show in Orlando and/or KSC-monkeys doing astronaut training before the cruise?
  • Excellent!  I missed that bit of fun due to hosting a BS:G game that evening, but thanks to your guy's excellent work and dedication it's the next best thing to being there!
  • @MJPM, everyone:  Will there be a "manifest" of videos like this one?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak3XocugEPbIdEoxTlJDeXd0aVE5UEc3Y252eUlTY3c#gid=0

There is a blank 2012 sheet, there....
  • I still haven't completely filled out that manifest yet!
  • @kate I put my list up there.  Between slow uploads and incomplete uploads, it is taking quite a bit more time to get them online than I thought.
  • @MJPM and all:  With assistance from @ThatGuy, the "2012" tab has been created for the posted videos manifest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak3XocugEPbIdEoxTlJDeXd0aVE5UEc3Y252eUlTY3c#gid=1

Please contribute:

1. Add your name to the top of a column for yourself, if there is not already one.

2. Add links to the appropriate cells.

Thank you!
  • I have a bunch of pictures and video. I'm working on sorting through the pictures right now, video will take a few days. :] But I'll slowly post it to the google doc! I need to bring another camera next year so I can do video and pictures at the same time.