Level Four

edited October 2011 in Everything Else
Well, today is the very last day to buy The Big Package of Everything.  I think we Level Four types need a thread to talk about it.  Anyone want to take a guess at what is in store?  Just to review, here are a few of his statements from recent posts on the front page:

"In particular the level four participation and the various plans I have for it have become a fun creative play space for me. This is not a concept album per se, but it’s got some strong thematic undercurrents that are fun to mess with, hence the logo, the motto, the symbols, the evaluation questions, and other things yet to be revealed."

"The Level Four box is going to be awesome. It will contain some surprise items. It will be a classy collectors edition type situation and you will be the envy of all your friends if you have one.... you Level Four folks will soon have access to other fun stuff that is not in the box. We will entertain ourselves while we wait.  Speaking of which, has anyone figured out what all the symbols mean yet? Because I have."

"...there’s at least one item in there that I haven’t told you about that has a super long lead time, but I think is going to be pretty cool to have. I have plans to do fun things with all you Level 4 folks and your nemeses while we wait, so I’m hopeful that you will feel like you’re getting your money’s worth even before you get the box itself."

Comments

• I just want some audio stems.  You know, Vox tracks, Bass tracks, etc.
  • i wish i could have gotten a level 4. *kicks a rock*
  • I got level 4, and it was so exciting I dropped some bread on the floor. *kicks a roll*
  • Eeeee!  I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait!

I promise to be more coherent later.  In the mean time I'm still just excited and can't wait to see!  I love a good surprise.
  • All I know is I got a vinyl and a nemesis out of the deal. Now to get some fricken sharks with lasers attached to their heads...
  • @MJPM ; I can't WAIT for the vinyl!!!
  • I got me a that.
  • I'd been kicking the idea around and finally decided today to just go for it.  The notion of the Nemeses and other surprise goodies is just too intriguing to pass up.
  • Kate I feel the same way. Really looking forward to the JoCo Vinyl experience. 
  • I is a Level 4 cat.
  • I thought this would be my first vinyl snce I was about four (I had a Michael Jackson breakdancing record), but no, a couple of weeks ago I went to a concert and bought a record of Wax Mannequin and The Burning Hell that I can't play. Is two records enough to buy a record player? I think I'll just give them to a friend.
  • My brother and I went in half/half on level four, mostly because I don't need 3 T-shirts, already have the CD, and can't play vinyl

super long lead time....takes a while to make...plush joco monkies?
  • Between the level 4 and the TMBG instant fan club vinyls we just got, I have to find an archaic musical device. Also, beware nemesis, I have plans for you.
  • Nnngh... Oh how I would have loved the vinyl. Fie this economic insufficiency of mine! FIE!
  • My boyfriend has a record player.  So, yes, a huge part of what convinced me to go with level 4 was that.  Not sure if that's going to make him as gleeful as me, or if he'll be stuck on the, "You put *how* much on your credit card for this?"  =P  Don't care.  Totally worth it.
  • My friend who has a record player (and lots of records) tends to prefer suicidal singers with good lyrics. Do you think Artificial Heart will be sad enough for her?
  • @skyen: Someone asked JoCo on Twitter if the vinyl would be available separately and he replied "Don't know. Maybe?" Those who are interested in such things should indicate to The Man that there is demand! 

Either that or make friends with one of the Level 4 people who expresses disinterest in antique technology. (:

Not me, though. I'm keeping everything! (I am kind of a pack rat.)
  • I'm just wondering -- am I the only Level 4 person who actually grew up in the Age Of Vinyl? 

@Angelastic I think AH is sad enough for anybody. 
  • @librarian Nope. I got in on the tail end of albums. For my thirteenth birthday I got Glass Houses by Billy Joel and Eat to the Beat by Blondie. And I remember buying 45s with my babysitting money, although by the time I finished high school, I'd pretty much completely converted to cassettes for my walkman. (Related: I am old.)
  • I was a kid in the age of vinyl. We enjoyed records as much for their capability to spin smurf figurines as for the music (apparently Wil Wheaton used to do the same with Star Wars figurines.) I used to think a Compact Disc was one of those small records (possibly 45s, possibly just singles, I don't know.) We had one of Star Trekkin' by The Firm. 
  • My time came post-vinyl, but my parents had (still have, I believe) a nice turntable and oodles of vinyl, so that's actually what I grew up listening to.  Though it was basically the muppet movie soundtrack and stand up routines from the likes of bill cosby and flip wilson
  • How many Level four folks are there? Does anyone know? Or maybe everyone but me knows??
  • IIRC, Dr. Coulton said he was going to limit the number to about 1000.  I don't know, nor will I estimate the current numbers...
  • I'm a Four ... and a One! Yes, I give 110% to Occupy JoCo or [place noble-cause name here]!

I was content spinning wax cylinders on my Victrola and humming along with piped-in Telharmonium concerti until that damned De Forest and his infernal Audion filled the streets with hot rodded Model Ts Magnavoxing away the blissful silence on our formerly bucolic boulevards!

In the 50s I took the plunge and went the whole Phibes-mod route, with not only outputs for my voice (and other internal organs) but four-channel inputs. [This was before Dolby could even *count* to 5.1!]

As I mentioned on the official JC site, I'm really looking forward to the inevitable Level Four super-suprise: an iPhone 5, bundled with AppleCare+!
  • @librarian I was already in my late teens when cassettes showed up. It took me quite a while into the CD-era before I switched from LPs to CDs. I still have about 600 or so of them, but very few feel a needle any more. I also inherited an old wind-up Victrola from my folks that still can play 78s!
  • @Simalot I'm glad that somebody else here knows from 78s. I grew up with a 3 speed record player that played 78s, 45s and LPs.
  • @librarian @simalot I grew up with a 3-speed player as well.  It is still at my father's' house, and at some point it will be mine!  Not wanting tiny CD-package liner notes, I resisted the plunge into CD, but eventually caved.  I still have all of my older vinyl, and in recent years have acquired new pressings. :)
  • edited October 2011
    the materials you receive will make you the envy of everyone you know (except of course for your nemesis, who will have the same materials that you do). We are also hard at work on tools that will help you deal with your nemesis problem, and your nemesis's nemesis problem (i.e., you).

So, I guess identifying one's nemesis is as simple as finding who has the same materials. Veery interesting. I suppose we'll each get a [noun redacted] and we'll have to hunt down whoever has a matching one.
  • If the only nemesis-identifying materials involved are a candlestick, dagger, revolver, rope, spanner, and lead pipe, I shall be VERY disappointed!
  • I'm personally hoping for a shark with a freakin' laser beam on its head, and/or a death ray.  What's a nemesis without awesome destruct-o-tech?
  • edited October 2011
    There was much discussion about what brand of t-shirts they were going to be - given we need to say what sizes we want by tomorrow, has anyone discovered?

Also: very excited.

ETA: dammit, I suck. There are several words I have failed to successfully read on the matter. Tomorrow then, tomorrow. (Or today, I suppose, given that it might be a USian tomorrow.)
  • It started saying they'd put the size chart up 'tomorrow' yesterday, and it must be today (i.e, 'tomorrow') Over There by now since it's just gone tomorrow in New Zealand, but they might not have put the size chart up yet.
  • The JoCo shirt I currently own is American Apparel, which run ever so slightly small. While I always have that plan to lose these extra 15 pounds, who knows if I ever will. Hoping that sizing chart shows up soon! 
  • edited October 2011
    I got an email from Scarface less than 2 hours ago saying 'I'm still waiting for the link from the guy. Check back on the confirm data page tomorrow--hopefully I'll have it by then.'

ETA: Sizing links are now up. :)
  • I got the sizing link, now to try to translate it. Don't women's shirts normally have multiple horizontal measurements (chest and waist)? The chart only shows what appears to be the width of the shirt when lying flat.

One horizontal measurement for the men's sizes is more understandable.
  • Yeah, I was a little confused by that too… I've never seen T-shirts measured by width, let alone ladies' shirts measured by a single width. So I took the measurement around my chest, halved it and converted to inches, and it seems to be in the right order of magnitude. :) For what it's worth, it's possible to update your information more than once (up to the deadline, I presume.)
  • I just asked for a Woman's Medium for me and a Man's Medium for my man. I figure that when we get our shirts, we can lose or gain weight as needed. 
  • Ahh.. My Nemesis awaits... I'll bide my time while watching Jarrett 's 'Shop Vac' Video...

Tom
  • Cross-posting:

This is interesting:

"More than fans, they are his champions and patrons. Orders of
    Artificial Heart on his website have already surpassed $100,000 with
    hundreds of fans purchasing "The Big Package of Everything"; which
    includes the album, three shirts, vinyl, demos, live recordings, and USB
    of his complete works and more."

http://www.dailypress.com/entertainment/music/mix-position-blog/dp-free-music-friday-taste-the-sweetness-of-jonathan-coultons-sucker-punch-20111104,0,4724590.htmlstory
  • "I have plans to do fun things with all you Level 4 folks and your nemeses while we wait, so I’m hopeful that you will feel like you’re getting your money’s worth even before you get the box itself."

I wonder when he's going to start this....  Haven't gotten any more emails since he closed off sales.  Bring on the fun things!
  • @Chicazul and I asked about this at the Seattle show last week, he said things are progressing along slowly but steadily. Also if you are Level Four and did not write down who your nemesis is (like me!) you are still safe.
  • I am afraid that my personal nemesis will be someone from the forums that I kinda know ('kinda" as in the same JoCo birthday video or so :D).

The other dilemma being, that Germany is not the best feud location for a JoCo fan, not a whole lot of opportunities to meet nemeses face to face :P

I wonder if some goodies will show up in the packages that haven't been mentioned so far...
  • @Spektugalo Jonathan didn't specify, but I get the impression there's some things in the bundle that we don't know about yet. In Seattle he said it was turning out "more awesome—and expensive—than expected."
  • Real evil geniuses can blow up their nemeses from afar. You just have to get creative. And for the less-creative, I wonder how many pairs of nemeses will be chasing each other around on the cruise.

I just realised you only need to swap two phonemes in nemeses to get menacees.
  • I suspect that one of the things that was more expensive than expected is the vinyl.
  • edited November 2011
    It doesn't seem so. Looking here it ranges from $8.79/record (for ~100) to about $2.75/record (for ~500+)

Then again, with this only being for level 4, it's probably on the higher end of the scale. Plus, I'm not sure why JoCo wouldn't have gotten a rough quote on the price.

Plus, Vinyl doesn't take an absurdly long time to manufacture. I'm pretty sure that the thing that's costing a lot and taking awhile to make is the surprise.
  • To symbolize the timeless nature of a Level Four commitment, I suspect JoCo Heavy Industries is creating audio cylinders using equipment borrowed from the Thomas Edison National Historical Park in West Orange, NJ. All that hand cranking takes a while!

And then there's the Customs and FCC-clearance hassles associated with shipping those iPhone 5s.
  • Just pressing an elpee's worth of toons (to quote Todd Rundgren) isn't super-expensive, but that plastic waffle is still a LOT more expensive than a CD. And then there are the label and jacket (they'd pretty much have to be 4 color, and you'd need an album cover that folded open to contain all the lyrics). But we'll see. Maybe JoCo and JF have something even more elaborate planned.