Which lesser known songs should I go listen to?

edited September 2011 in Everything Else
Have just acquired HUGE PILE OF JOCO MUSIC USB DRIVE.

I'm a Sea Monkey and know most of the standards (most things on JoCo Looks Back, for instance), but have not had the albums before now. What should I go listen to first?

Yes, I'm offering you another opportunity to either squee about your favorites or be a hipster and show how cool you are to know obscure songs. Or both. You're welcome.

Comments

• Hmm, I don't have JoCo looks back, so I'm not sure if these are covered. But here's what springs to my mind: Better
    Big Dick Farts a Polka
    Space Doggity
    Dance, Soterious Johnson, Dance
    Over There
    Under the Pines
    Soft Rocked By Me

Okay those didn't all spring to mind, I went and looked through the list of songs. Also I'd imagine you know Blue Sunny Day, but if not, go.
  • I recommend listening to all of Our Bodies, Ourselves, Our Cybernetic Arms.

Some other favourites:
    So Far, So Good
    Summer's Over
    I Hate California
    Madelaine

I also love most of his covers:
    Don't Talk to Strangers
    I Will
    Famous Blue Raincoat

Clearly I like the sad, fingerpicky ones. (:
  • I could show how cool I am to know obscure songs, but I doubt that one is on the USB drive.

These four are all in the top six most-played individual Coulton tracks (possibly because I only have one mp3 of each, due to the fact he doesn't play them live, but also because I love them) in my iTunes library:

A Laptop Like You
    Summer's Over
    Womb With a View
    The Town Crotch

and also I love Space Doggity, but Gina already said that, and he plays it live so you've probably already seen it.

Listen to them all, dagnabbit.
  • Pizza day and You ruined everything and Chiron beta prime are some of my stealth favorites, all of which I highly recommend!
  • I'm going to do a @Bry and point you to an old thread on favourite underrated songs. Also, you might find the favourite songs tournament interesting.
  • The Future Soon Demo is one of my faves. Also, Gambler's Prayer and Under the Pines.
    In general tho I tend to like the sad one. When You Go, Octopus, Seahorse, I'm Your Moon, Overhead.
  • Some of the best lesser known songs, in my opinion:

Space Doggity
    Blue Sunny Day
    Todd the T1000 (I never see this one getting any love but I think it's one of his best songs)
    Stroller Town
    Seahorse
    Under the Pines (at first this song just seems really freakin weird, then you find out what it's about. which makes it even weirder)
    De-Evolving

And just listen to Artificial Heart. All of it.
  • I'd go for My Beige Bear or Bozo's Lament.
  • Stroller Town, You're My Moon, You Ruined Everything, Tom Cruize Crazy, Millionaire Girlfriend and I Hate California are some of my favorites that I don't recall hearing live lately.

But I'm with @Angelastic- listen to them all!

• Looking forward to savoring these suggestions.

Surely I _WILL_ listen to everything, but there's enough (and I listen to music infrequently enough) that I'm happy to have somewhere to start.
  • edited September 2011
    I am very partial to Pull The String, Not About You, and Brand New Sucker.
  • Also, Screwed! I just noticed I've only listened to that one 24 times. What is wrong with me?

Apparently Molly Lewis also likes Brand New Sucker :)
  • So, I was listening to the new Mastodon album and there's a song titled Octopus Has No Friends.  Cover of a little-known Jonathan Coulton song perhaps?

:)