Beginning the ukulele

edited June 2011 in JoCo Music
Thanks to my most generous family, I was recently blessed with a ukulele. Knowing that there are ukulelelelelelist around here, I thought I'd seek advice... which JoCo-songs lend themselves well to the ukulele for a beginner? Also which non-JoCo standards would be a good start?
I've plenty of guitar-experience, I should mention, so I know my way around frets and strings, I just need to get familiar with ukulele-chords and -strumming.

Comments

• I find, as a beginner myself, that Furry Old Lobster is pretty easy to learn on the uke. It doesn't have many chords in it, and most of them are quite easy ones too.

Plus, it's such a fun song to sing.
  • It's been a little while since I've played much JoCo (or anything really) on a uke, but I remember playing Re Your Brains a lot (although the bridge switches to barre chords. Yuck.)
  • I find that most JoCo songs sound good on the uke. Which is always testament to a good song if it passes the uke test. One of my favorites is The Future Soon.
  • I'm also a beginner. My uke repertoire currently consists of JoCo's "Better" and "Always the Moon" (strumming only) and Cynthia Hopkins' "Surrounded by Friendship," which I learned via Hodgman. (Chord charts for that here.) Also, Molly told me that The Beatles' "Something" is a good beginner song.
  • BTW, Alistair Wood, of the Ukulele Blog, Uke Hunt is coming out with a "Ukulele for Dummies" book in august. Check out this link. It looks like it's going to be a great book covering a lot of ground, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a book this comprehensive before. I know Alistair from forums and his blog and if this book is as helpful and informative as he is there it'll be great.
  • Can this be a general Ukulele thread?

What do you recommend for someone who has no idea what sort of uke to get?
  • I think you can't really go wrong with a fluke. Don't let the plastic body and fretboard scare you off, they still sound really good. My main ukulele is a fluke, and I think Molly (sweetafton23) has also recommended them on Twitter to people asking the same question. When I first started, I bought a cheaper (non-fluke) ukulele, but it had poor intonation. I've not had that problem with the fluke.
  • The Fluke/Fleas are nice, but they might be a bit too pricey for your beginner budget. Also, yes, Molly did recommend them to The Doubleclicks. I think she has a couple of those and I just saw she got a new O'Hana too.

I just started playing recently and I got a mid-range Kala (Koa Soprano). It has a beautiful sound and is gorgeous to boot. I played with some mahogany bodied Lanikai's at my local music store as well, and liked their sound too. Honestly, I would recommend finding a local music store that has a selection (if possible) and (after asking one someone to tune them) play around with ones that catch your eye. Pluck and strum, just to get an idea for their sound. Your uke should be what sounds best to you. Also, this will give you a better idea for their size and which one you feel most comfortable playing.

Here's a nice little video talking about what to look for: UkuleleOversoul - What makes a good ukulele?
  • I don't know anything about ukuleles, but I heard Nylgut strings are good. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    Absolutely great advice to go to a music store and try some out before hand.

I completely understand the Fluke/Flea maybe being too expensive for a beginner. For exactly the same reason, I started with something cheaper, in the $50-60 range, but outgrew it eventually, and donated it to my sister. But at the time, it served my needs. Depending on what your goals are with the instrument and what your budget is, it might make more sense to start directly at the Flea, or to start out with something cheaper. Whatever you get will be "good enough" until you've had it long enough to discover that it isn't. I forget where I read that, but its absolutely true.

(I actually seem to be going through this phase with a lot of my musical equipment at the moment... I recently upgraded my microphone, and I'm starting to look for a better keyboard, and maybe a 3-octave melodica, or a set of actual studio monitors...)

And yes, Aquila Nylgut seem to be the universally-praised ukulele strings. It was cool to see JoCo (unofficially) "endorsing" them. :-) (Which reminds me: it's really well past time to replace the strings that came on my Fluke with the nylgut set that I bought but haven't used yet)
  • Ooh! I just got a ukulele a couple months ago. It is a cheap Soprano and I am already aspiring for a mid-range Tenor as my fat fingers cannot fret a D to save my life.
  • And yes, Aquila Nylgut seem to be the universally-praised ukulele strings. It was cool to see JoCo (unofficially) "endorsing" them. :-)
    Well, it was more like making fun of whoever writes the advertising copy. He didn't seem to care that much about the actual strings. :) At least not until one of the ones on his guitar broke. Then he was sorry.
  • edited June 2011
    i was laughing about that part, sort of. I've read that same copy and it is as awkward as it sounds. On the other hand, Aquila is a very small mom and pop type company. The guy who makes the strings probably wrote the copy himself and being as they are made in Italy, English is not his first language.

As for the first uke, Imagine how much you would be willing to spend on one if you were moderately good and go ahead and spend it because if your first uke is a real cheapy then the sound and difficulty tuning and playing will frustrate you enough that you'll just pick it up less and less till you quit. And if you don't quit within a short time you'll get good enough that you'll probably want to upgrade anyway.

Fuzzyslug's advice of finding a store too look at some is a good one as is the vid with Aldrine.
  • The best uke is the one you will play the most!

We went uke shopping at the local Guitar Center and played with a bunch of Lanikais. I almost got a $125 concert uke, but I ended up getting *two* $60 LU-21s instead. They stay in tune, and I'm still amazed at how loudly they can ring out when strummed with vigor. There's much to be said for inexpensive instruments. I have no qualms about my kids using them. I feel fine taking it to the park, where I can wander around with my featherlight $60 uke practicing chord changes. I love handing it over to any random kid who comes up to see what I'm doing.

The only songs I can play so far are "I Would Never Have Sex With You" by Garfunkel and Oates, and the theme to "Adventure Time". The only uke song easier than the "Adventure Time" theme is "My Dog Has Fleas".