My nerd band, Awkward Teenage Man Syndrome and our new single "Girl You Derive Me Crazy"

edited May 2011 in JoCo Music
My nerd band, Awkward Teenage Man Syndrome, somewhat inspired by Jonathan Coulton, has just released our first music video/single. Its a calculus inspired rock pop romp about young love. I am the lead singer and lyricist for the band and would love to hear what you guys think of our song. :)

Video

iTunes

Comments

• I think its been sadly too long since I've needed to use Calculus... Seriously though, nice song. For some reason, I liked the line about making a cardiod in polar coordinates.

You guys might want to look into signing up for SpinTunes 3, an upcoming songwriting competition that will be starting soon. A number of the participants are JoCo fans and/or are past Song Fu competitors.
  • I'm going to preface my opinion with the warning that I tend toward "brutal" in my aesthetic judgements, but it comes from a place of affection. I only critique things I like. (:

You have a nice voice, and I was impressed with how cleverly you managed to fit the math terms into double meanings. That said, the song felt at least a minute too long. There's a sweet spot for pop songs around 3.5 minutes (3:49 if you listen to John Scalzi) and while it's certainly not a rule, jokes can quickly overstay their welcome.

I'm a big fan of pop-rock stylings and your music is quite pleasant, but not quite catchy or varied enough to keep my interest through the whole track. It's partly due to the sparse arrangement--it's possible to make great songs with just guitar and piano, but there's a reason most rock bands have rhythm sections!

I hear a lot of potential in your songwriting! Keep up the good work.
  • I was a bit put off by the 'lie tangent to your curves' bit because I've heard that joke far too many times and it's a pity that the most-repeated joke in the song is not original, but I liked the rest. I'm a sucker for maths songs. :) I recommend adding it to the MASSIVE database so more people who like songs about maths and science will hear it. Or you could submit it as a FuMP sideshow if you don't mind people getting the mp3 for free.

Oh, wait, I just googled you to see if you had any other songs, and I found your facebook page which links to a song you already have on the FuMP sideshow, which for some reason didn't appear in my iTunes although I'm subscribed to the podcast. Well, I guess I'll have to download it.
  • Yeah chicazul I can see that. It is quite a long song, haha and I probably could have cut a full verse out of it. Yeah I know that "lie tangent to your curves" is pretty much the most used most unoriginal joke but I feel like it just fit so well I had to use it :P I just tried to make sure the rest of the song had original enough quips and puns. Also I sent an email to get it added to the MASSIVE database. Glad you guys enjoyed it though :D
  • For all my nitpicking, every time I see the title of this thread I get your chorus stuck in my head again, so you're doing something right. (: