Spintunes Take Three!

edited May 2011 in JoCo Music
A few years back, JoCo and P&S were a part of the Masters of Song Fu on line competition. Sadly those days are gone, as is Song Fu, but the spirit lives on in the latest round of SpinTunes here Anyone can join; it is free, fun, and very forgiving- take it from me, who only started writing and recording music last summer! If you would like to give yourself a challenge, meet some fun folks and write a few songs, please check out the page and sign up (as soon as Spin gets the sign up page loaded!)

Comments

• If you're into making music and writing songs, definitely check Spintunes out, it's a great way to improve your skills, learn a lot and have fun making music and meeting other musicians!
  • As instructed, I have signed up.

Oh dear.
  • I will be competing as well. We just had a new baby (now 3 weeks old). It's gonna be interesting...
  • edited May 2011
    I mentioned it on Twitter the other day, but I'm signed up for this as well.

ETA: Also, you have this much longer to sign up, if you're thinking about it.
  • I briefly entertained the idea of signing up, but then I went back and listened to the entries from last round.

Music competitions are way out of my league at this point. (:
  • chicazul -

You should do it! It's fun. This is a little different than other contests, in that you can continue as a 'shadow' even if you're out of the running.

I don't think you can do much worse than us - ST1 - Power Outage in Chicago caused us to be late with our entry. We shadowed the rest of the way. ST2 - voted out first round. More shadowing. But we ended up with 7 songs out of it.

So give it a thought, or at least consider shadowing if you don't want to compete.
  • I agree, chicazul should do it. :) You're probably better than you think you are, or you will be after a few rounds of practice competing in or shadowing SpinTunes. (Hehehe... TinSpoons... tin spoonerism, assuming an accent with yod dropping after /t/) Besides, staying within your league is not as much fun. Unless it's the Justice League.

JoCo said during some interview or other that you should aim to do something so bad it's ridiculous, and you might just surprise yourself and end up with something good. That's not the exact wording (the exact quote is on my facebook profile somewhere), but anyway, that way you're unlikely to do worse than you intend to.
  • Chicazul, please give it a try! I never competed in ANYthing like this until last summer, I don't really play any instruments- just doodle a bit with the ones I have, and have shadowed most of the the past two competitions. It is a blast! The group listens to you, helps you, gives positive feedback, stuff that helps you learn and grow without trashing you and making you feel bad. I have learned so much over the past year and have made some great friends, many of whom have done the background instrumentals for me- I come up with a tune and lyrics, they play guitar, piano, etc. Best of all, I have a bunch of songs now that I can proudly show off and sing to friends and family. Come on in- we are friendly!
  • edited June 2011
    Songs from Round 1 are posted, free to stream and/or download on bandcamp. I feel sorry for the judges because there are a LOT of really good songs, and the idea of trying to rank them seems sort of hopeless.