Share your cruise dreams!

edited May 2011 in JoCo Cruise
I hypothesize that the rule "nobody cares what you dreamed last night" does not apply to dreams about JoCoCruiseCrazy. I also hypothesize that if that exemption is not actually true, nobody will point and laugh at me because you all are nice people.

One of mine:
I dreamed we were on JCCC2, and it was to Alaska. We all went on a crazy shore excursion before leaving port that was like a safari animal park, but we got to walk around with bears and buffalo and things. (There were also waterfalls that reminded me of the park portion of my Jamaican shore excursion, only without anybody trying to sell me anything or birds on my head.) Then we saw lots of whales. The end.

Comments

• Well, I had a dream about the European tour which involved a sea monkey; does that count? I already posted it in the appropriate thread, but I'll paste it here as well.

I dreamed that I booked a (presumedly cheap) flight to Bristol, and when I got into the plane it was just a small open thing with a single seat, and I thought it was weird that it was open, since I know even small planes are enclosed these days. Anyway, it took off, and I soon realised that I was actually supposed to be controlling it, with the two foot-pedals. The ‘pilot’ (who was on the other side of the thing with her back to me [it was more like a jetpack with a seat on either side]) reassured me that I was doing well, even though I could see the ground approaching very quickly and it seemed like we were almost on it. There was a loud, high-pitched beep-like screech as we hit the ground, and I was surprised we weren’t dead, so then I thought maybe this was just a simulation, but the pilot assured me this was the real thing, and we were just really lucky. I asked her whether I was even allowed to fly this thing, since I didn’t have a pilot’s license and didn’t know how to fly. She assured me it was allowed, and told me which pedal was which (I’d got them the wrong way around, thinking the brake was the accelerator) and basically said I just had to keep my foot on the accelerator most of the time and we’d stay in the air. I was relieved to hear that she would actually do the navigation, since I don’t have the slightest idea where Bristol is, and anyway, she was the one facing forwards.

So, I was pretty scared by the prospect of piloting my own plane to Bristol, and I went back to where JoCo, Jason Roop (a sea monkey, for those who don’t know), and some other fans were chilling out (somewhere in the UK. Because I was already in the UK somewhere and just taking a short 48 minute flight to Bristol from there) to wait for my flight, since apparently the flight I’d just done was for practice or something and my real flight was later in the day. I was basically telling people that if I didn’t turn up at the Bristol concert, I’d probably died in a plane crash. I looked at the timetable for trains to Bristol, and it would take 4 hours and 90 minutes to get there by train, and since it was already early afternoon I wouldn’t get there in time for the concert, so I had no option but to take this flight. At some point I realised that I hadn’t even brought a jacket with me so I would probably get cold. Also, I hadn’t noted down the address of the venue nor how to get there from the Bristol airfield on public transport, and I hadn’t printed my concert tickets, so I was frantically trying to jot down the necessary information from some overhead screens that reminded me of the ones in Portal 2. Then at some point a noise woke me up, about 17 minutes before my usual alarm.

I plan to go to Bristol by train, in case anyone's wondering.
  • I don't remember any details, but I have been having a recurring dream quite frequently about being on another JoCo cruise lately. I guess I really need to look into booking for JoCo Cruise Crazy 2!
  • I had a nightmare that I was on the boat and then realized I didn't bring any luggage...at all. All I had was the clothes I wore that day. I realized this just minutes before the boat was going to leave port, so not really anything I could do but buy new clothes from some sort of bazaar that was setup on the ship...I did end up ordering a custom drawn "monkey with a fez at a computer" t-shirt...but it was still a weird dream....
  • I wouldn't be surprised if somebody who showed up on the cruise with no luggage would end up with a custom-drawn "monkey with a fez at a computer" t-shirt. Sea Monkeys take care of each other, right?
  • I just woke up from a dream where I got the the airport at the last minute, then realized I forgot my luggage. I had to debate whether there was even a point in going if I didn't have my outfits.
  • On the thread of luggage, once I dreamed we were all on a JoCo Cruise Crazy to Mexico, and the ship sank! We didn't actually mind that that the ship sank, since we all swam to a beautiful tropical island that was jus there, but we were annoyed that we'd lost our luggage.

This was right around the time I was getting ready to confront my flying fear, so I was having a lot of travel stress dreams.
  • Last night, I dreamed that JoCo had tweeted from London that there were announcements on the website regarding the entertainment. I, of course, raced to the website to check and was delighted to see Molly Lewis, John Hodgman and Paul F. Tompkins were confirmed performers. I woke up so very happy that Paul F was going to be there and then so very sad when I realized it had been but a dream.
    Paul is the current #1 on my List Of Performers I Haven't Seen Yet But Really Need To list, having rocketed to the top due to my seeing Patton Oswalt, Chris Hardwick, Schaffer the Darklord, MC Lars, the Dresden Dolls and, of course, Mr. Coulton in the last year. I hope he's able/willing to attend but I understand he's working on a sitcom for Adult Swim in addition to the million other things he does so I'm not holding my breath.
  • I dreamed last night that I was refreshing the Booking page while chatting online with Molly Lewis who was being totally cagey about whether or not she's attending this year.
  • edited July 2011
    I dreamed that it was the Tuesday concert, and JoCo played some song he doesn't usually play (I thought it might have been Make You Cry, but it can't have been that, because Paul and Storm were sprawled on the stage at his feet playing guitars [one electric, one acoustic, I think] in order to replace the ukulele which would normally be required for this song, and they hadn't quite worked out how to do it yet) and then there was an intermission, so I left the concert to go to the toilet, only to find a long queue of little girls of identical height outside the toilets (I think they were on some kind of school trip) so I went back into the concert and then I realised, to my surprise and horror, that I'd completely forgotten to film any of the concert so far. I guess this was weird enough to wake me up so I went to the toilet for real.
  • edited July 2011
    Dreamt I was in my stateroom (which bore an amazing resemblance to my childhood living room - fireplace and all!) sketching while lying on a portable massage table. Mike Phirman wandered over and commented on my drawing and then left to get ready to go on stage. As I got up to go watch the show, Jonathan knocked on the door, said he'd heard I had a fireplace and could he just hang out a while? So we talked about kids and the pointlessness of housework (!?!) while he messed around with some photo/video/musical app on his iPhone. I then proceeded to clean up the pinetree branches which seemed to be scattered all over the floor and were blocking my access to the in room bar, which I offered to get Jonathan a drink from. It was only at that point that I thought something was strange, which of course woke me up.
  • Don't you just hate when Reason kicks in?
  • In this particular case, yes! I was having a nice chat and was quite disappointed to realize it wasn't real.
  • Well I was glad. If Paul and Storm were ever sprawled at JoCo's feet playing two guitars to replace a uke, I'd definitely want to get a video of it.
  • The other night, I had a pre-cruise dream that I was in attendance at a board meeting of the JoCoCruiseCrazy Corporation. I am pretty lousy at remembering dream details, but I do remember that the board was half entertainers and half Sea Monkeys and Dammit Liz was the Executive Director. I can't remember specifics of the meeting agenda, but it was all to do with cruise planning and monkey jokes.
  • I woke up in the middle of a cruise dream this morning. @stitchandthyme and I were on a cruise (not sure if it was JCCC2, but I was hanging out with @stepto and @pubboot) and we had been assigned a cabin larger than our house. It had a cocktail room and a 'garden' that were each larger than the JCCC game room. The garden had fake grass and a skylight of some sort (work up before I could try it) and we were being encouraged by the ship to hold a party so that they could test the concept. There was also a secret door that led from our cabin directly to an alternate dining room where we ran into @stepto again.
  • I've had several where I got to meet Felicia Day on the cruise...
  • Last night I dreamed I was on the ship! And it was super cool, because there was this big communal space for talking and hanging out, and it had a swimming pool like a moat all around the sides, with a little net wall so people didn't accidentally fall in there. 
  • Last night I dreamed it was time for the cruise! And I had gotten on board and we had set sail, and then I suddenly remembered I had forgotten to let my family know this was the week I would be unreachable by e-mail. So in the last few minutes when we were still just off the Florida coast, I started trying to sent them a note on my phone, but the iPhone mail app was now like a game where if you didn't type fast enough, little island monsters would eat your words. WTF, Apple?

Also in the dream my stateroom was more like a sleeper car on Amtrak in its size and design.
  • Dang it! I never contribute to this thread, because I can't seem to either have dreams of the cruise or if I did I can't remember them when I'm awake.
  • edited October 2011
    Ok. Weirder than last dream.

There was a roller derby-esque sort of synchronized performance/competition on the boat. The skating space was like at a ice rink (with an oval surface blocked off by boards), except that it was all panellled in wood and looked like the library from @Hodgman's recent book trailer). Player 1 from each team was inside the boards and the remaining 4-5 had to skate in a line around the outside of the boards. Player 1 had to light a cigarette and Player 2 (at the back of the outside team pack) had to light their own cigarette off Player 1's without taking it out of Player 1's hands (and so on up the line). Team players and those of us watching were dressed in Steampunky sort of period fancy dress and wearing mustaches. The folks who could get the final front person's cigarette lit in the fewest number of laps with the fanciest dance moves and without anyone falling were to be the winners.

Coulton and Hodgman were sitting at a lovely wooden library table and doing a running commentary into old fashioned 30's style microphones.

Just as a team was about to successfully get the final cigarette lit, my alarm went: time to get up and get my kids off to swimming lessons. (Dang it! I really wanted to see if they won!)
  • Last night I dreamed that the waiting area to get on the boat was a wild west theme park, and I was riding around on a train, texting people to find out where they were.
  • edited January 2012
    Not exactly a cruise dream, but I had a very vivid dream that I read in a local paper that Paul and Storm were going to open for The Cranberries here in Geneva, on the evening of the day I fly to Orlando. I remember composing a tweet to them about this (I was excited that they made the paper! It had their logo and everything) and thinking about how it was still probably better that I was going to Orlando before the cruise and thus missing this show, because instead of seeing them as an opening band for The Cranberries (which, by the way, was the first band I kind of obsessed about. I'm mostly over it now, but it still would've been great to see them and Paul and Storm at the same concert. They do have good taste in opening bands), I'd see their own show in Orlando. I did worry that nobody at a Cranberries concert would throw panties, though.

Unrelated: I also dreamed that when I woke up and went to the toilet, there was a yellow-eyed penguin and a stoat in my apartment that seemed to have come through the open window, and then a pleasant family of, uh, I guess, thieves, also came in through the window (they implied it was their penguin and stoat) and tidied up my apartment, even doing dishes by hand despite the fact that I have a dishwasher. The whole time I was worried that if I didn't go back to bed soon, I'd be very tired at work the next day. I was surprised and disappointed to find that this was a dream, though happy I hadn't really been up most of the night.
  • My fiance dreamed a while back that I was doing an act on stage with Paul F. Tompkins. She assures me that I was very funny.
  • @origamislayer - wow your dreams sound very much like mine. I often dream of discovering secret rooms, and large interesting places to explore. Sadly they never exist when I wake up. They would be awesome!
  • I just dream I was going, where's the crying emoticon when you need it.
  • Dreamt last nite that I was at a PaulAndStormCon, at some sort of waterpark / aquarium. I guess that's vaguely nautical, so it counts. Idea for next year?
  • I dreamed that I got my moo cards and they all had completely the wrong pictures on them. But I got them really soon after they were dispatched, so I still might have had time to get replacements before the cruise.
  • I had not remembered any dreams that involved anything about the cruise.... and then I read some of these yesterday... now I just woke up, and what do you know!

I was at a theater, searching for a friend that I couldn't find.  I was getting frustrated, so I asked someone working at the theater a question.  That person shrugged me off.  That pissed me off, and suddenly in my dream I decided I was on the cruise.  I grabbed him, and asked what's your name, and begin asking for his boss.  I turn him around to see their name badge and their name is weird and complicated, something I wouldn't be able to remember.  So, I get out my phone and take pictures of the name badge to report them later.  Then, this person's boss walks in, and ALSO gives me trouble so I begin yelling at her about how much I spent on the cruise, hahah.  Her eyes lit up and said thank you and babbled a bit, then I woke up.

• and yes... I found myself only in my underwear.  er... but that wasn't necessarily cruise-related.
  • Last night I dreamed that I was explaining a previous dream (involving car chases, guns and other action movie stuff) to Mr. Coulton. He was very polite and managed to pretend to be interested.
  • I hate you all. Since last year until today I have still had ZERO dreams related to the cruise. My psyche has failed me!!!
  • I dreamed that I completely forgot to pack for the cruise, and arrived with just whatever I happened to already have in that suitcase (which is mainly stuff I still haven't unpacked from the last cruise, and the occasional thing I've put in there to either get it out of the way or because I won't need it till the next cruise) and the stuff in my bag that I always have with me. I didn't have a charger for my camera batteries or a spare memory card or tripod or even my Mac to empty memory cards onto. And no fez, custom moustache, or new fancy pants. I also probably didn't have any spare clothes, but I didn't seem concerned about that.
  • edited December 2012
    About 6 months ago I had an extended dream that I was marooned on an island -- sort of a Gilligan's Island situation -- with about two dozen folks from JCCC2. We talked about the horrible storm that swept us away in the ship's tender, and how lucky we all were to have been washed ashore. We had an odd assortment of modern conveniences, such as electronic devices we'd brought on the cruise, and a complete lack of others. Vi Hart was there, and seemed to be able to make nearly anything (furniture, etc.) by making carefully calculated cuts in bundles of branches and leaves and then unfolding them. @paulandstorm desperately wanted to get off the island to get to a gig in LA; they kept on trying to build boats and rafts, all of which sunk hilariously when tested for seaworthiness. @photo_wolfe was there -- taking pictures of course. I remember her saying that she was unused to going for so long without high heeled shoes. @chicazul was there, in a bathing suit that looked a lot like a corset, and somehow managed to make cupcakes for everyone. David Rees declared it wonderful that we had no Internet and insisted that a pig could only be properly roasted on an artisanally sharpened spit. Roderick didn't appear in the dream, but rumor had it that he'd split from the group and set up a hermitage on the other side of the island. I don't remember all of the rest, but vaguely recall a few other scenes, including a couple of very funny ones featuring Wil and Anne Wheaton. They involved dice, fezzes, googly eyes, Words With Friends, wasabi peas, and chocolate....
  • @BrettGlass that sounds entirely too probable. :)
  • Yeah, I was going to say it sounded too realistic to be a dream.
  • edited December 2012
    @Angelastic That night, I woke up and fell asleep again and the dream continued, like a mini-series. I dream like that sometimes. Maybe I missed my calling as a script writer.

BTW, you were in the dream too. I vaguely recall that you offered to do something involving nuclear physics (Build a nuclear propulsion system for one of @paulandstorm's ill-fated watercraft? Send a distress signal using neutrinos that tunneled through the earth? I don't remember).
  • I have a recurring dream wherein I cannot find my room on the ship.  Additionally, I often end up wandering the ship so long that I miss the concerts.  Luckily, I have shown no aptitude for prophetic dreams, so I'm not worried.
  • My recurring cruise dream is that I forget about the sail date and remember after the cruise is over.  I have had this dream so many times that it has gotten to the point where I say to myself (in the dream!) "Oh no, not this again!"

Other recurring dreams are about getting to the port from the hotel or back to the hotel from the port.  The night before last I actually made it onboard, but it was way before time to leave.  I can't remember anything else except that my luggage didn't have any clothes.

I really hope these dreams don't mean anything!
  • Although I'm no Sea Monkey, I did recently have a cruise-related dream. It's short, but here it is: 

I saw Stepto at some store, or something and chased him down as he walked out. When I caught up to him, I said something like, "You're Stepto, right? You're going on JCCC3? You're so lucky!" Some sort of awkwardness ensued (my dreams are all kind of fuzzy), but I did not regret my actions!

Maybe the universe is telling me to somehow convince my wife that JCCC would be a worthy use of our precious vacation time and money. If so, I don't think the universe understands my wife. Or maybe it's just my inner self wanting to tell all you Sea Monkeys that you are, indeed, SO lucky!
  • I have been having reoccurring JCCC dreams lately!  Most of them seem to involve running around and going to dinner or various other food-related-establishments, or getting dressed up, or suddenly finding out I have dog hair all over my sequin dress or that I left it somewhere by accident.
  • I've had a few anxiety dreams about the cruise. Like the one where it was the end of the trip and I couldn't remember anything about it, and then I missed my shuttle and my flight and lost some of my luggage. Thanks, my subconscious, I hate you too!
  • edited April 2013
    I had a cruise dream last night. It was the start of JCCC4. I went to my cabin - it was very spacious, and in the front of the ship. As I was putting my suit in the closet, the muster drill started. Things got slightly weird here... I looked at my sea pass card, and was a bit confused - there were two muster stations listed! One was printed on the front of the card (on deck 3), and the other was a sticker on the back of the card (on deck 1). The totally logical dream-me went to the one listed on the sticker.

Upon arrival at the station (which, even though it was on deck 1, was on a walkway around the outside of the ship), the crew member scanned my card, then told me I was at the wrong station. I went to the stairs, and started going up, but another crew member stopped me. She informed me that the stairs only went to deck 2 (even though I had just come down them to reach deck 1), and that instead of taking them, I had to ascend this narrow ladder-like pathway that went around the inside of the ship's hull. Well, I did it, and made it to the correct station just before the end of the drill. I asked the crew member there what was up with the sticker on the back. He explained that it was an abbreviation of his name (wft? dream brain is weird). I shrugged it off, and went back to my cabin to finish unpacking.

I distinctly remember laying my suit out to be pressed, and then going to dinner. I don't remember much about dinner, just that I ate a lot of the sourdough rolls. After dinner, I wandered around the top decks of the ship, and awkwardly said hi to a bunch of people I met on JCCC3. Then I woke up.
  • edited April 2013
    Navigating the Freedom of the Seas was, indeed, like a game of Chutes and Ladders. Especially if you wanted to avoid the casino, which was full of irritating, carcinogenic smoke. Managed it, but it was awkward.
  • edited February 2014
    How to tell the cruise is getting closer? My cruise dreams are weirder and more vivid.
    John Roderick played tennis with a Sphero-style ball (controllable by an app) against Jonathan (John used a traditional wooden tennis racquet, Jonathan used the app, the ball changed colours as it was hit as some sort of rating of their shots), @aliceandstuff wore an amazing silvery-lavender sparkly dress, I roamed the ship in a towel looking for available shower space, and the big ending was a first-person, back-of-the-gang, running-at-top-speed view of emerging to applause with a group of helper monkeys onto a clamshell style stage somewhere on an island. Obviously, I cannot wait for all this, or a reasonable facsimile, to come true in a few weeks. :D
  • I dreamed I sewed a whole lot of sequin-like things onto my fancy pants (but larger than usual sequins, and widely spaced, so they were like shiny polka dots), and then remembered that that was not at all what I'd planned to put on my fancy pants.
  • Last night, I dreamed that the cruise was almost over, and I was dismayed to realize that I remembered none of it.
  • edited February 2014
    I dreamed that I was playing bass at a bluegrass jam (which I often do), and looked up to see that the other players were JoCo on mandolin and vocals, Storm on guitar and vocals, Sara Watkins on fiddle, Paul on melodica and vocals, and John Roderick on washboard and paper kazoo. And I'm not even going on the cruise this year. Hmmm.
  • Is it too early for a JCCC5 dream? I think it is, but I can't seem to convince my subconscious of that. I most recently dreamed that the airline lost my luggage, and all I had with me was a bathing suit and a formal gown for the entirety of the trip, because those are the two things I insist upon having in my carry-on bag for the cruise. I guess that means I went to the airport in one or the other...
  • I dreamed that during the first dinner, the ship, and all other ships, had to return to port. The ship staff didn't say why, but somebody in the know heard and understood the code word they used, and informed me that the sea was freezing over.