Want You Gone - JoCo versino

edited May 2011 in JoCo Music
Is there any version of "Want You Gone" singed by Jonathan Coulton?

Comments

• Jonathan answered that in his blog post about the song (emphasis mine):
    Are you going to release your own version with you singing, the way you did with Still Alive?
    I might. In fact I have permission to do that from Valve. I’m not yet sure what form that would take – the new song is so much more dependent on the arrangement and all the electronics that I haven’t quite figured out another way to make it work. But you’ll be sure to know when that happens, because I will tell you[...]

Are you going to play this song live at shows?
    Eventually. For now I think it’s a little too close to when the game was released. [...] I want to make sure I’ve given people plenty of time to buy and play the game before I start forcing it on them at shows. I don’t know exactly when that will be, sort of going to play it by ear.
    In more direct words: There will be live versions and possibly an album version, but not for a while yet. Even Jonathan isn't sure when.
  • Well, appearantly there kinda is one...

Before Portal 2 had been released, a low quality version of the song was leaked, which was supposedly sung by JoCo. However, it was also pitched and processed to the GlaDOS voice, so in fact it didn't really sound too different from the final version, also due to the same instrumentation. You might still find it on youtube with some keywords like leaked portal 2 song or something. But as I said, it sounds a lot like the final version.

Still, I can't wait for a JoCo version, like the Still Alive 'J.C. version' on the Orange Box soundtrack, so just the GlaDOS voice track replaced with JoCos real voice.
    Moreover, I am looking forward to a live performance, no matter if acoustic or a band version :)
  • There's a snippet of it in the Portal 2 iPad app (that the Sea Monkey handbell choir was surprised to find ourselves in).
  • JoCo teased us with 3 notes of Want You Gone last night. He took a poll from the audience to see if it was too soon. There were only a few folks who said they had not yet finished playing Portal 2, but he still refrained. It was really funny!

-Kate
  • It's wasn't funny to me! FFFFFFFFF!

Just kidding (but not really ;P).
  • I don't want him to play it live until PAX. Because I am selfish and want to be there when it happens. d:

I could I suppose settle for a good-quality video of the event, which I think means my fingers are crossed that some forum members or Sea Monkeys are in attendance. You all rarely disappoint me!