BOOTLEG DOWNLOAD- JoCo - Live at Park West [4/22/11] (Soundboard) [NEW]

edited May 2011 in JoCo Music
Jonathan Coulton
Park West
April 22, 2011

[tfrooney]: Soundboard> Zoom H1> ClickRepair (some auto/some manual)>
[fireworksordie]: Audacity (patching it all together)> Wave Editor (mastering & fades)> XLD [mp3 -V0]

1 Code Monkey
2 Shop Vac
3 Sticking It To Myself
4 Untitled Song About Marriage
5 Blue Sunny Day*
6 Space Doggity*
7 Nemeses
8 Sucker Punch
9 Big Bad World One*
10 Creepy Doll*
11 The Stache
12 Good Morning Tucson
13 Still Alive
14 Alone At Home
15 Mandelbrot Set
16 re: Your Brains

Encore
18 Skullcrusher Mountain^
19 The Future Soon^
20 Ikea^
21 Mr. Fancy Pants^
22 You Ruined Everything^
23 I Feel Fantastic*

* with Paul & Storm
^ solo

Notes from tfrooney: It was a different kind of show with Jonathan on electric guitar backed by bass and drums. With the new line up and new material Jonathan expressed his concern that his audience might have trouble adjusting. The set included many of the standard selections and several new songs. The overall mix tended toward the higher energy which the band delivered. Big thanks to the front office and production staff at Park West for clearing the way for this recording! Also of course, huge thanks to Paul and Storm and Jonathan Coulton for supporting the recording of their show!
The board feed was pretty hot, so the recording turned out quite clipped and rough. Raw files were process through ClickRepair to repair the clicks from the clipping as much as possible.

Notes from fireworksordie: tfrooney did an awesome and incredibly thorough job trying to repair as much of the recording as possible. I took his ClickRepair'd songs and mixed in the unmodified banter in between (ClickRepair made those portions sound worse), added in a bit more low end and some reverb to give it more life, and some EQing all around to taste. I think what resulted is pretty fantastic, and a complete 180 from what we started with.

FYI, there is still going to be some clicking throughout, worse in some places than others. This is the best we could do, and hopefully everyone can still enjoy this great show. FLACs may come later if there is enough demand.

Recorded and thoroughly Declicked by tfrooney
Mixed, Mastered, and Prepared by fireworksordie

Uploaded for the JoCo Forums May 3rd, 2011
DOWNLOAD HERE

Comments

• Impressive quality! Thanks to everybody involved!
  • I haven't listened so I don't know the details, but I kinda hope "Untitled Song About Marriage" is actually the title of the song. :D
  • Hi Mitch! Long time no see. If you're curious, here is the video where he first plays the song, and explains that he doesn't like the title of the song, so for now we'll just call it Untitled Song about Marriage. There is evidence on the wiki concerning what the "actual" name he doesn't like is...
  • Oh wow. This is probably about as close to an album-experience as we're getting with the new songs until summer. Thanks so much :D
  • Thank you both so much for doing this. We had a great time at this concert, and now I can relive it! At the risk of seeming greedy, is there any chance of getting the Paul and Storm half of the concert, too? Peter Sagal using the F word was one of the highlights of the evening for me.
  • Got a recording of PnS. It has issues too. Will try to get it cleaned up as well. Had fun working with fireworksordie to get this one out. He really transformed a dry recording into a big live sound. Hope everyone enjoys listening.
  • Thanks for all your work! This was a great show, I'm glad someone got it recorded! FLAC's would be great too!
  • :O I just listened to Mr. Fancy Pants. It's one of only two live recordings I have of that on guitar, and it sounded bizarrely normal, with a higher-than-expected amount of flub*. Did he not bring the Zendrum or his iPhone?

* bizarrely normal with a higher-than-expected amount of flub is the name of Stefani Germanotta's future political party.
  • Angela: I listened to the whole set so I don't remember when it happens, but at some point there is an audience request for Mr. Fancy Pants and Jonathan says he doesn't have the Zendrum so he can't play it. The guitar attempt was a whim for the encore, which went hilariously awry since he can't remember all the chords. (It's worth watching videos of it to see his face.) I get the impression that when touring with the band he brings no equipment other than the electric guitar, so even if he had his phone, he wouldn't be prepared to hook it up to the sound system.
  • Now I'm listening to Creepy Doll, and it sounded like some kind of fan remix or cover at first because it has instruments but it's not the normal studio version. This is the first time I've listened to good audio of the band. I wonder if I'll ever see the band live.

…and now I just heard him asking if anyone in the crowd has a moustache. I was not sure if I wanted to detach my JoCo Cruise Crazy moustache from my lambag and risk having it lose all stick, but I've just resolved to bring it to the concerts in June.