European tour

edited April 2011 in JoCo Music
I didn't even notice this blog post until dantes pointed it out to me.

Paul and Storm said in the comments:

Just received word on the venues and dates for this trip:

June
9 – Bristol – Colston Hall
10 – Manchester – Manchester Academy 3
11 – London – Union Chapel
13 – Amsterdam – Melkweg (Oude Zaal)

Tickets should be available very soon.

Who's going? Who wants to do a road trip (or rail trip together, I'm not fussy) between some of the venues?

Comments

• I wish I could go on an all-out trip, but unfortunately the dates are right during my exam period AND I have to attend a wedding on the 11th. Although, I should be able to get to Amsterdam for the show on the 13th... But I wouldn't be able to make it a one-day trip (which to me is preferable to spending the night there) unless it was an afternoon show. Well, I guess we'll have to wait for more details. I love it that JoCo's coming back and that I may have a chance to see him again (wasn't able to last time, was that last year or in '09 ? I think last year), but June isn't a good time for me, later in the summer would've been preferable.
  • I will quite obviously not be going to any of these shows (as wonderful as it would be to attend a venue as lovely as Union Chapel) but I did have one observation about the blog post:

JoCo's final line is "Houseboat, emmer effers" which struck me as...uh...a non sequitur, to say the least. Paul and Storm may have explained it; their podcast made it sound like they will be staying on a houseboat during their trip.

Judging by the blog comments, it does look as though many potential attendees will be hampered by exam schedules. Unfortunate bit of timing there.

Have a great time, Angela--I hope you find some fellow travelers!
  • I don't actually know which show(s) I'll be able to go to yet; it depends on which days I can get off work, but the one in London seems very likely since it's on a Saturday, and Amsterdam would be awesome. We have to support this first trip to the mainland… and get pictures of JoCo stoned. ;)
  • JoCo always looks kind of stoned in post-concert photos, so I'm not sure anyone would be able to tell the difference. (;
  • Anyway, I guess we already had that opportunity in Jamaica.
  • I'm totally gonna make it to the London date! I move home for summer from university the same day and it's my birthday on the Sunday but I'm gonna do all I can to make it there. Cannot wait!
  • Hey everyone! The tickets have gone on sale for the UK tour! Available at Seetickets.com and ticketline.co.uk
  • Ahhh thank you so much for posting this! Would've missed it otherwise.
  • Bought! (for London and Manchester, anyway, since I didn't see the others there.) I've booked some holiday time and I'll be going to all the shows.
  • edited April 2011
    Um… holy crap. I was just looking for ticket sales for the Amsterdam concert and found a concert with Tom Lehrer in LondonClitheroe on 10 May. Please, somebody go to it and communicate it with me telepathically.

ETA: It's real.
    EATA: But it's not really him, it's Peter Gill and Andy Meller performing some of his songs. Sorry about that. :(
  • I shall be going tothe manchester gig, and in the time between this and the last gig I have converted a friend so this time I won't be forever alone.
    Since last time I had a major problem with the train times I think I'l be staying at a B&B or I'l just sit in the trainstation till like 5-6am for a train back depending on the price of a B&B

So happy he's back, I desperately need a new Skullcrusher moutnain t-shirt mine's filled with holes since its my fave t-shrit and I wear it all the time :/
  • edited April 2011
    I am glad that the ticket site has been posted and bookmarked. I am oddly looking forward to another night at Paddington. I also really wish I could see Hugh Laurie in May. Alas, the monies.

ETA: I've stared blankly at the numbers and I can just about cover the trip. Also in light of the fact that on the last trip I got delayed by 2 hours, I'm going to try and arrive 4 hours before doors are due to open if anyone is interested. IDK.
  • As Angelastic pointed out the links above are just for London and Manchester, anyone wanting Bristol tickets (like myself) can go here http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?agency=TCOMUK&pid=7015214

If that link doesn't work I found it on Paul and Storms gig list page so you can just click through from there
  • I guess it's now official that I'm going since I've bought my ticket, so I guess I'll see some JoCoFo peoples there!
  • edited April 2011
    I just got an email from SNCB Europe advertising return train trips to Amsterdam from 47 euros. I'm going to have to wear clogs and ride on trains. :D But should I go to Monaco afterwards?
  • Monaco, Courier, Andale Mono ... go to whatever typeface suits your fancy. :-)
  • edited April 2011
    Well I'm in Geneva, Helvetica (roman) right now, and it suits me fine. :)
  • Tickets for the Amsterdam gig will be available here on the 30th, by the look of it.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm going to the London gig - I'm too old for exams but for me it's being able to go straight from work and then home afterwards.

I got my eticket from the Union chapel website (here) which says that JoCo has spacial guests! which should be interesting!

ttfn
  • I dreamed that I booked a (presumedly cheap) flight to Bristol, and when I got into the plane it was just a small open thing with a single seat, and I thought it was weird that it was open, since I know even small planes are enclosed these days. Anyway, it took off, and I soon realised that I was actually supposed to be controlling it, with the two foot-pedals. The ‘pilot’ (who was on the other side of the thing with her back to me [it was more like a jetpack with a seat on either side]) reassured me that I was doing well, even though I could see the ground approaching very quickly and it seemed like we were almost on it. There was a loud, high-pitched beep-like screech as we hit the ground, and I was surprised we weren’t dead, so then I thought maybe this was just a simulation, but the pilot assured me this was the real thing, and we were just really lucky. I asked her whether I was even allowed to fly this thing, since I didn’t have a pilot’s license and didn’t know how to fly. She assured me it was allowed, and told me which pedal was which (I’d got them the wrong way around, thinking the brake was the accelerator) and basically said I just had to keep my foot on the accelerator most of the time and we’d stay in the air. I was relieved to hear that she would actually do the navigation, since I don’t have the slightest idea where Bristol is, and anyway, she was the one facing forwards.

So, I was pretty scared by the prospect of piloting my own plane to Bristol, and I went back to where JoCo, Jason Roop (a sea monkey, for those who don’t know), and some other fans were chilling out (somewhere in the UK. Because I was already in the UK somewhere and just taking a short 48 minute flight to Bristol from there) to wait for my flight, since apparently the flight I’d just done was for practice or something and my real flight was later in the day. I was basically telling people that if I didn’t turn up at the Bristol concert, I’d probably died in a plane crash. I looked at the timetable for trains to Bristol, and it would take 4 hours and 90 minutes to get there by train, and since it was already early afternoon I wouldn’t get there in time for the concert, so I had no option but to take this flight. At some point I realised that I hadn’t even brought a jacket with me so I would probably get cold. Also, I hadn’t noted down the address of the venue nor how to get there from the Bristol airfield on public transport, and I hadn’t printed my concert tickets, so I was frantically trying to jot down the necessary information from some overhead screens that reminded me of the ones in Portal 2. Then at some point a noise woke me up, about 17 minutes before my usual alarm.

I plan to go to Bristol by train, in case anyone's wondering.
  • >I plan to go to Bristol by train, in case anyone's wondering.

Umm yes - that's probably for the best :-)

Very involved dream, though usually a rear-facing person would be a gunner, the engineer would be facing sideways, so I'm not sure of the aircraft type you thought you were in.

Spent last night looking at JoCoCruise videos - got most of the way through Wil Wheatons Rocky Horror bit - must finish that :-) a real shame it didn't happen on this side of the pond :-(

ttfn
  • so I'm not sure of the aircraft type you thought you were in.
    Well, it was a two-person aircraft with no roof and no wings, in which the pilot (who is also the passenger, the one who pays the airline rather than being paid by it) faces backwards and controls the thing with two foot pedals, and the navigator (who is paid by the airline) faces forwards. I did not see her side so I don't know what kinds of controls she had. Surely that narrows it down. :)

I'm surprised at how coherent the dream was. I mean the plane thing was pretty weird (and I was surprised by it in the dream), but not once did something break the continuity, such as the plane changing design or my point of view changing, unless you count going back to hang out with JoCo and Jason in between my first, failed flight to Bristol and the one that would actually go to Bristol, but even that makes sense since they probably had to repair the aircraft. I even remember wishing I could get a ride to Bristol with JoCo and/or Jason, since they were obviously also going, but figuring that they probably also had flights (on normal airlines) so I couldn't just go with them unless I bought another plane ticket.

By the way, I'm a Rocky Horror virgin myself, so I didn't understand much about that story.
  • >By the way, I'm a Rocky Horror virgin myself, so I didn't understand much about that story.
    I guess it's one of those things that by the time you're 15 if you haven't seen it it's not going to have as much of an impact, just like watching Mad Max/ Logans Run/ 2001 for the first time needs to happen when you are young enough that your imagination latches onto it, but not too young that everything passes you by because you can't understand or connect to the story at all.

By all means get a video/ torrent/ DVD/ Blue~Ray or whatever, but I would imagine that you'll come away thinking 'why does everyone rave about this?'

If you can get one with a talkalong soundtrack you'll benefit the most - or go along to a show :-)

ttfn
  • Hmm… I haven't seen Mad Max or Logan's Run, and I watched 2001 at about 20ish, and perhaps everything passed me by, because it seemed to me that the ending had been replaced by random clips of screensavers and other movies. But I did mention my Rocky Horror virginity to someone the other night, and he mentioned they were thinking of showing that for a movie night (I'm not 100% sure in which order those two things happened.)

By the way, I just got my Colston Hall ticket in the mail, which reminded me that the Amsterdam tickets are now available, so I'm about to order one.
  • I want to go to the Amsterdam show, but since I can't take a train back to Belgium on the night itself I'd have to stay there, and I don't really feel like doing that... :/
  • Hey guys, The manchester gig starts at 7:30pm and my last train goes from picadilly at 23:01, would I have to leave early or do youthink the gig will be over?
    I had to leave early last time and I would really not like to do it again :(
  • Oh lord, looks like the Manchester gig has sold out before I had time to get tickets :/
    Hopefully its just a problem with the ticketline or something.. doubt it though.
  • FYI, he tweeted about it.
  • I got an email saying this:
    We're writing to inform you of a change of venue for JONATHAN COULTON
    on 10/06/2011.

The event will now take place at Academy 2.
    All tickets remain valid for the new venue.
    So I guess they got the bigger room. Try buying tickets again.
  • Purchased the tickets now, very excited :) it's been far too long!
  • Who is going to the Amsterdam show and needs a cheapish place to sleep? I have booked a single room in the hotel that's practically next door, but I might switch to a double or triple room and share with other fans (probably including dantes.) They only have one twin and one triple room left so if I do it I need to know quickly. The triple room can have a fourth person on a mattress on the floor.
  • I happen to arrive in Brussels at 8:30am the morning of 6/13 to begin my vacation. Am seriously thinking of hopping a train (after a quick shower) to immediately go to Amsterdam. It's just so crazy it might work!
  • edited May 2011
    The voices in your head say dooo iiiit... though it only takes two hours to get to Amsterdam from Brussels, so you could have breakfast or a nap (assuming that if you're arriving at 8:30a.m on a holiday, it's probably after an overnight train or flight) or some chocolate first. Or a long shower, with too much soap and not much cheese.

ETA: The voices in my head are now rapping 'And the voices in your head say..' to the tune/rhythm of that song/rap/whatever that goes 'everybody in the house say "yeah"'.
  • edited June 2011
    Quick highlights from the Bristol show:

The guy sitting behind me brought a giant Jaffa Cake and presented it to Paul and Storm during Captain's Wife's Lament. Be informed that the internet you are reading this on now belongs to him, because that rocked. Strangely enough though, I was the only panty thrower.
    JoCo opened his set with Millionaire Girlfriend, which surprised me because I didn't think he played it that often. The crowd didn't react as riotously to 'even Washington Mutual' as they did in the mp3 I have of the first time he played that after Washington Mutual collapsed. I'm not sure how much of the crowd realised (to be honest, I didn't understand what was going on when I first heard that recording.) After singing that line, he clarified that those were all banks. :)
    At some point (we're supposed to pretend it was immediately after Tom Cruise Crazy) he mentioned the cruise and told everybody to sell all their stuff and send him all their money so they could go on it. As the only Sea Monkey in attendance, I shouted out something to the effect that they should absolutely sell everything they had because it was worth it. They've assigned me to convince Kerrin to go.
    We got a new, never-before-played-live song from Artificial Heart, sung experimentally with some effects from the iPhone/Mac, which did not seem to be Je suis Rick Springfield.
    Yes, he also played Want You Gone.
    Encore started with a bit of Freebird (by request)
  • Did you get video of the ginormo-Jaffa cake Angela? That sounds AMAZING.
  • Yes, of the guy giving it to them, though I didn't get one of Storm (or was it Paul? I have no video to check) holdin it above his head victoriously as he left the room.

Kerrin and I are currently at a pub just down the road from the Manchester venue, that serves giant Jaffa cake with custard or ice cream. Unfortunately we'd already ordered food when we saw the sign, but P&S have been alerted. :)

I must remember to ask what the new song is called.
    Oh BTW, he didn't do the extra intro to Want You Gone.

Frithuswith, you'll be at the London gig, right? Want to get a sea monkey reunion photo afterwards?
  • Awesome: P&S-in-a-box! (I kid) Glad to see some more a capella.
  • edited June 2011
    I just saw the Manchester sound check... Manchester will not be disappointed.
    Jonathan was pretending to do nun fight by himself with the set up for nobody loves you like me. It sounded very similar. I'm not saying he will do that at the concert as he clearly won't, but it was funny to see.
  • Props, as always, Jmonkee for sleuthing out the best of the web in the fastest possible time and posting it here for the lazy among us (sooner or later I think we need to create a Joco minion title of some kind for you!).
  • edited June 2011
    I know this isn't what it's actually about, but the line "drinking for two" keeps making me try to reinterpret this as being sung by a young, (and depressed?) expecting mother... (nobody loves you like me.) :-/
  • Things I remember about the Manchester show:

In the initial banter, JoCo said he wasn't here to surprise us, and then he started the set with… Better! I think that would have surprised me even if I hadn't been expecting Millionaire Girlfriend.

Between Always The Moon and a couple of other songs (including Down Today with Paul on keyboard IIRC) on what appeared to be a newly-purchased ukulele, we learnt all about faux-catgut ukulele strings. Later, the G-string on JoCo's guitar broke and we had a short Q&A while Storm was fixing it. JoCo inadequately explained why Paul and Storm weren't in Dublin on their first tour, asserted that we will have jetpacks in the future, and expressed interest in doing another Second Life concert and/or WoW concert. Then there were more attempts at tuning the guitar, an Ernie Wade-esque start to Skullcrusher Mountain, and then finally, an E chord! W00t! And then he played Skullcrusher Mountain.

Somebody started the standard handclaps (standclaps?) during Shop Vac, which nobody did in Bristol. (I'm not confident enough to start handclaps myself. When Paul and Storm talk about how difficult it is for white people to sing and do anything else at the same time [e.g. the intricate choreography of Count To Ten] they're talking about me, who often finds it difficult to even clap in rhythm while singing.)

We got Want You Gone again, followed quickly by Still Alive (unfortunately I had to restart recording between the two, so I missed the first few seconds of Still Alive, but it's not like we don't have enough recordings of that song.) And also another performance of the new song, which is indeed called 'Nobody Loves You Like Me', and is so catchy it even gets in their heads, as evidenced by their whistling while packing up the remaining merch. By the way, London people: You might wish to gain some weight before the concert so you'll have more chance of finding a T-shirt that fits you. Oh yeah, about merch: There's no tour shirt, and the only shirts available (all of which are new to the UK) are the Code Monkey, Space Doggity and _____ is the name of my _______ cover band ones.

Other things happened; songs were sung, 'that's what she said' was said, Portal 2 memes were identified, chavs were dissed, snacks and multiple panties were thrown (I was the only panty-thrower in Bristol. What would they do without me?), Monty Python was quoted (but not as much as in Bristol) and Istanbul (Not Constantinople) was covered. I thought they were going to do Big Dick Farts a Polka for a minute when Paul came out with that mouth keyboardy thing. And then I thought he was playing a song from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The setlists of both Paul and Storm and JoCo were really quite different from in Bristol, partly because they had not only a keyboard but also a ukulele with nyle-gut strings or whatever they were called.

Unfortunately, people were forced out of the merchandise area early, and by the time Tardy McFamousFaces got out, not many people were still hanging around.

And yeah, P&S in a box. As Kerrin said, he did sing a little Nun Fight in the sound check (after they sang a bit of Nobody Loves You Like Me.)
  • edited June 2011
    For all you people that don't know who I am. I was helping the merchandise people at Bristol and Manchester, and at London, I was the guy filming the after show meet and greet.
    I filmed all three concerts, and I will be uploading the videos as soon as I can to YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/user/jocopro )
    During the time I was recording I found out that Jonathan currently intends to come back the same time next year.
    ETA: Bristol
    Manchester
  • edited June 2011
    Amsterdam show: Awesome, enthusiastic crowd. I was there with dantes and Jutze, and we also met a guy from the US [Edit: Oh, that must've been FlashRPh] who just happened to be around for this show. The crowd was so great that after chanting 'we want brains' for a while, we got a REAL ENCORE with three songs (A Talk With George, I Crush Everything, and Istanbul (Not Constantinople)) I don't know why I wrote that since Jutze is just across from me typing out the whole setlist.

He didn't do Good Morning Tucson, which he had done at the other songs, and he did sing Make You Cry, which would have made Colleenky happy. :)

Oh yeah, pandering to the location: JoCo opened with Over There (first time this tour) and Paul and Storm sang The International Language.

After the show, JoCo said he'd expand his tour to other places in Europe.
  • It was a great show, only my second but definitely up there with the other ones I've seen videos of. Too tired to think of stuff now... He surprised us and we were surprised by him. I'll write more later. :P
  • I think he was surprised by the enthusiasm of the fans in this weird foreign country. They were even more enthusiastic than London, and he'll be back.
  • edited June 2011
    It's time our little hotel room party comes to an end - the setlist doesn't show the fun that was Creepy Doll and the audience taking over most of the Still Alive vocals. And the howling wolves. And my request for The Princess Who Save Herself (which was politely denied). And not Angelastic and Dantes (almost) stalking the trio in the streets of Amsterdam.

Good night, Jutze
  • Also people demanding brains! There were a lot of cool Dutch people, and some Belgians too.
  • I'm gutted I couldn't make it to more than once concert, I had an early start on both the sat and the sunday so I needed the night off on sat :( Especially since he sang make you cry which is one of my fave songs! Hopefully next year I'l have the money and a more suitable mode of transport for doing a roadtrip through the UK (and maybe Europe?) to see more gigs.

Is it me or are their accents a bit stronger in real life? I listen to the P&S podcast all the time and when I was speaking to Paul pre-show in Manchester his accent sounded much stronger than I had noticed before.
  • edited June 2011
    For their first tour, Kerrin, Agent Lex, Gingerlink and I went on a road trip (of doom) together (well, different people joined at different points in the trip, although I seem to recall Paul referring to us as 'the four of you who have been following the whole tour'.) This time, it was just me and Kerrin, with a whole lot of JoCo's and Paul and Storm's suitcases in the back seat for one leg of the trip, but perhaps next time it will be possible to have more people on the road trip. Road tripping with JoCo fans is a lot of fun. Almost as much fun as cruising with them.

I didn't notice anything different about their accents, but then I'm surrounded by people with weird accents most of the time, and also I've probably seen those particular people in real life more than you have, so it's unlikely I would notice. Maybe it just seemed more pronounced because most of the people around them had English accents, whereas on the podcast, it's just them with no comparison.

I just got home from Amsterdam, and I'm uploading Nobody Loves You Like Me from Bristol to YouTube, and about to queue up the rest of that concert in order.

ETA: I'd just like to add that I think the (almost) stalking was Jutze's idea. Or maybe dantes's. They just wanted to know whether they'd gone into the Burger King. By the way, here are Opening Band, Mother's Day Song, Elvis Died Today (On the Occasion of the Anniversary of the Death of Elvis Presley), Nun Fight some one-sentence songs and tribute songs and Frogger! The Frogger Musical from Bristol (yeah, maybe I should put them on the Paul and Storums.) I notice YouTube now has an option for making videos CC-licensed (yay! Now if only I knew how to make that the default), so I did that. :)

EATA: I've actually edited the above ETA several times to add video links, but I'll add this as a separate 'EATA' since it's an unrelated thought. I just realised that Paul and Storm don't sing Nugget Man any more. (I also noticed, much earlier and with much less surprise, that they don't explain the origin of Nun Fight any more.) I guess they had to make room for the vagina lullabye (not played in Bristol due to lack of piano), which I'm perfectly happy with except that it gets stuck in my head and I have to make sure I hum or whistle it in public rather than singing it under my breath. Also, they don't thank Jonathan Coulton 'for agreeing to close for them' any more. And I'm increasingly curious about whether fully-fledged Paul and Storm shows on dry land have encores (real or fake) after The Captain's Wife's Lament. Nope, still not bothering to go to the Paul and Storums.