Portal 2 wait song

edited April 2011 in JoCo Music
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVb24yVWarw

MazAMaTaz on YouTube has made a delicious "waiting for portal 2" song - well worth the listen

Comments

• Since Portal has been out for at least 10 hours now, does anyone have any trace of someone pulling the song out of source files? I myself both really need and really don't want to yet hear it since I can't play until Thursday on console release. Would appreciate that little added pressure to click a link.

I hope that made sense. Trying to write an essay and a forum post at the same time screws with my brain.
  • This seems to be it.
  • Thank you very much. Now I will have it open and taunting me. :D
  • hey dudez. managed to extract it from the game last night.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b5airvzlqo62vzd - FLAC
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dfxd2ksy3rt4dam - MP3

i post these only because i know all of you will buy it when it becomes available for purchase through one of the various DIGITAL MEDIA OUTLETS.

encoded from the lossless WAV packed deep within the game files. enjoy.
  • Sounds pretty damn good! Not sure if it's as catchy as Still Alive though...
  • Fireworksordie - Please tell us you'll be at the Chicago show on Friday, recording JoCo's live debut of "Want You Gone" (wishful thinking!)

Also, is there a "JoCo Mix" of this, like there was with Still Alive?
  • Not clicking links...Not going to listen until I finish the game...so looks like I'm not going to get anything done tomorrow either. Played all afternoon; only half done. Game is long...so much story! I'm so terrible at video games.

Jmonkee: If there is a "JoCo Mix", it probably won't be released until the soundtrack. As far as I know that version of Still Alive wasn't in the game either. (I could be wrong, of course.)
  • there was no JoCo mix within the game files.
  • I've listened to two lines. I'm loving it so far. Lots of people seem to have mixed feelings. Hope Amazon delivers tomorrow like they're meant to rather than next Tuesday when their estimate says they will.
  • Finished the game, will now commence listening this song to death. I like it better than Still Alive, but hard to say if that's due to the latter being a wee bit overplayed.

Thanks for posting the track, fireworksordie!
  • edited April 2011
    I wasn't hooked by the new song the first time I listened to it, but after a few more times through, I've decided I like it. I think I still rank Still Alive higher, but what are you going to do? Still Alive was pretty great. I haven't played the game though, and I'm sure that could affect how personal your attachment to the song will be.

Now I just need a new album's worth of JoCo songs to stick into a playlist with this one new one. It's so lonely right now.
  • Good to see you again, Jon.

(I like the song.)
  • The first time I listened to it, I thought there was a bit too much distortion and background music, which was distracting, and I wondered what it would be like with just JoCo on Tenori-on. I listened to it two more times: once last night and once this morning, and it stayed in my head until lunchtime, when I got 'An Open Letter to Stephen Fry' in my head. After that, when I tried to remember Want You Gone, I got the first line to the tune of Space Doggity, and Under the Pines sneaking in later. Nonetheless, I think this is enough to show that the song is catchy. Has anyone made an UltraStar file or piano tutorial of it yet? I want to get my Mac to sing it, and I'm too lazy and unskilled to figure out how to play it on the keyboard (my robot choir only understands UltraStar and MIDI.)

I intend to download Portal 2 tonight, and I'll go to a LAN on Sunday to play it.

Also, I second what Bry said. Will you be at any of the UK shows this tour, Jon Who?
  • This song takes me the way nearly all of JoCo's music has been going...

That's is the 1st song was a bit more playing and silly it could be reduced to "I'm alive your not, I have a neat gun and cake".
    This song is much more serious, dealing with a more mature theme, "It hurts to much having you around, so leave"

In that way, I'm not sure the second song will be as popular as the first. While the song is good and catchy and I think does a great job of explaining Glados's state of mind immature and silly, sells better than mature, real and serious.

Oddly this is how JoCo's music has been developing. Instead of being about space labs in space, robot overlords, trying to grow a child with a tail, suicidal vampires and Zombie meal times, the songs about doing things you don't want to, because it's better than being left behind or taking more time to be with your family. While the songs are great, and I'll still buy all of them. I do long for another song about math.
  • I like the song, but i will say this; I don't think any childrens choirs will be singing it.
  • I do long for another song about math.
    2.71828nded.

Though the song about the suicidal vampire was quite recent. And if you look beneath the surface of the other songs, many of them had more serious themes. It might be funny because it's about a giant squid, or a cyborg, or a seahorse, or pants, but it's serious because it's really about all of us. And he actually has quite a repertoire of serious, sad songs which aren't funny at all. "Bomb of Sadness" is the name of Paul and Storm's emo band from a show with JoCo way back when they were still limiting themselves to emo bands. On the subject of Paul and Storm, I was wondering the other day what they would come up with if challenged to write a serious song. They got the perfect mix of sad and funny and geeky and lovelorn with 'Live' (I voted for it) but I'm curious to see what they'd write if they couldn't be funny, and whether they could resist sneaking in a pirate or fart.

Going by what I've heard of the new songs live, I would say that the proportion of serious songs (often still with many funny lines) has increased slightly, but I don't think that the fun factor is significantly down today.

NB: yes, I deliberately phrased that sentence so as to include 'Down Today', although I didn't do it very smoothly.
  • I was wondering the other day what they would come up with if challenged to write a serious song.
    The one I thought of was their last song from "25 Days of Newman," called Better Off Dead. Though even that one is a Randy Newman imitation, so I guess it's not entirely serious.
  • The Stache appears so far to be the token "silly" song on the new album. I admit I always liked JoCo best because his songs were a little bit serious; that's why I don't get sick of many of them even though most novelty songs wear on me quickly. (Got in trouble for saying that to They Might Be Giants the other day...)

The problem with the silly songs is that it's hard for JoCo not to repeat himself, given how large his repertoire already is. There's only so many times he can write the song about the sad monster/crab/lunar rover.
  • Wait… he's written songs about sad crabs and lunar rovers?
  • Think how sad those Mars rovers are, once they are out of contact with Earth. Just sitting there, motionless, for eternity! Sad and lonely. Surely there is a JoCo song here, waiting to be written.

Sad Rover
  • Yeah, when I saw this I thought of JoCo.
  • edited April 2011
    Posted an HD-link to the song, then realized someone beat me to it ages ago. Serves me right for posting in a post-completion ecstatic/psychotic state.
  • I don't think any childrens choirs will be singing it.
    but that would be awesome.
  • Angela: Almost any time someone references that xkcd strip, I see at least one person say JoCo should write a song about it.
  • IRT UK shows, it very much depends on whether I can get a job, or how effectively I can work my budget since for the next 4 months there's very little wiggle room. In all likelihood I'd probably end up at the London one, so I hope all works out soon for me.

IRT Want You Gone, initially I was a little disappointed by it, but after my housemate got to the credits and I heard it the second time it was very much loved.
  • Okay, I just finished Portal 2, and I have to say, even though I'd listened to the song many times already, the ending still had plenty to surprise and delight me. It certainly wasn't spoiled. :)
  • Sad Crabs and Lunar Rovers is surely the name of some sort of tribute band...
  • @OldManAP "Sad Crabs and Lunar Rovers" is the name of my "Ziggy Stardust" cover band?
  • I'm thinking it's more the B-52s.
  • Sad Crabs and Lunar Rovers is the name of my sexually transmitted parasite community. (The Lunar Rovers open for Sad Crabs and then spend the rest of the time backstage, so to speak.)