Anyone going to the Nashville show on Thursday?

edited March 2011 in JoCo Music
I'm just curious as to whether I might get an opportunity to meet other forum-ites. This will be my first Coulton show...I'm fairly local to Nashville, about 30-45 minutes, been there more times a week than I can count...meant to catch him last year when he opened for TMBG, but I hesitated and tickets sold out.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I rarely post on this forum, but I was there! We're from Huntsville, Alabama - about 2 hours away, and my husband and I went for an anniversary date. Maybe you saw us - we were the geeky couple with glasses - oh, wait... there were many in the crowd! (And, I have to say, what a great crowd, too!)

We both REALLY enjoyed the show. We sat at a table one back from the stage. It was our first time seeing JoCo live. I enjoyed hearing old favorites, and I really liked many of the new songs as well (I'm annoyed that I can't put the Stache on my iPod RIGHT NOW). I thought the band members (who I will forever think of as Andy and Hugo) were great. I really thought Andy did a great job with the back-up vocals. I had wondered if there would be back-up vocals since I believe in all the recorded songs JoCo is backing up for himself. Loved Creepy Doll, even without the music box sound. And, a bonus, the venue was non-smoking. I didn't expect that. Also, the volume was perfect - how rare is that? JoCo seemed very gracious and I got to have a little schoolgirl moment getting my picture taken with him.

Is it strange that I could see most mainstream celebrities walking down the street and either not recognize them or not care even if I did, yet getting a photo with JoCo totally made my day? (And, credit to my dear husband who was a great sport and encouraged me to stay and get the photo even when I tried to insist that it would be silly.)

The whole experience really made me want to become a huge fan of more internet musicians, because the whole experience of seeing that performance was SO much more enjoyable than going to a giant venue for a giant concert.

I didn't learn about the TMBG/JoCo concert until AFTER it happened. Not living in Nashville exactly I guess I just wasn't really in the loop. I would have LOVED to have seen that show. My husband and I have been long-time TMBG fans as well - in fact our first date was a TMBG concert. That must have been an awesome show.
  • Glad you enjoyed your first JoCo show, serendipity! I had a conversation just last night about how all these internet musician shows I've been going to have ruined me for "normal" concerts, because I get so much more out of them than just the music!

It's possible to put The Stache on your iPod right now, but I only have an old version with fairly poor sound quality. If you're that desperate you can download some old bootlegs of new songs, or you can wait until hoppedup puts his excellent soundboard recordings on the bootleg thread.

OldManAP - Did you end up going to this show?
  • Yes, I did make it to the show, and it was phenomenal! Serendipity, you might also have seen me. I was the short, balding guy sitting at the bar, directly across from Jonathan. I was the guy singing along to every single lyric, even the new stuff.

I spoke to Jonathan after the show, and mentioned to him that I play a lot of his songs at an open-mic night in Clarksville, TN every Thursday night, to which he asked how the songs were going over, and I responded that most everyone seemed to enjoy them.

I am now also the proud owner of an autographed copy of "JoCo Looks Back"...sweet...
  • Some fine fan has posted a playlist of the entire show on Youtube. Pretty good quality, too.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks Chica! I'll check those out.

And OldManAP, didn't really look behind me at the bar much.. do you have gray hair and did you kind of hang back off to the left waiting for people to finish taking their photos and such? If so, a short chubby 30-something brunette with glasses asked if you were in line and you said no, but it sure looked like you were waiting for your turn. Maybe not though!

Jmonkee - I believe I was sitting at the table *right* next to that guy that shot the video. He had a little tripod on the table. My husband got his YouTube channel name and chatted with him about the camera. I bet that's him, the perspective looks about right, and I think I hear my husband and I laughing/talking a few times in the background noise. :)

Really, that evening was a memory I will keep with me forever. Also loved having the opportunity to thank Jonathan for making such great music for us to enjoy. I am such a gratitude-oriented person, I get a chance to thank teachers and nurses and garbage men, but you so rarely get the opportunity to say thank you to artists and the like who bring you SO much enjoyment, you just love them and carry them around in your pocket and they don't even know who you are!

I wonder if JC ever has the opportunity to sign a record label and make millions, if he'd do it? I can understand being tempted to but... gosh it wouldn't be the same. Not to be sappy but I felt so much happiness in that little place - not like I've ever felt at any concert.
  • edited March 2011
    @serendipity: No, that wasn't me, but I think I saw the person you're talking about, and if so, I was about three seats away from him at the bar. I was behind and a bit to the right of the man that shot the video, so I believe I might have been directly behind your table.

ETA: I have added a page for this show to the wiki.
  • I was at this show too! I'd never been to a JoCo show before (really wanted to see the TMBG/JoCo show last year but I was out of town that weekend). I had a blast. A group of my friends and I all went down there together. It was exciting to see him playing with a band. We got there a bit late and missed Code Monkey, though. :(

We were also sitting next to a group of girls who clearly weren't there to see him. All of them had major "WTF is this?" looks on their faces the entire time. Needless to say, they weren't amused.