Comments

• He changed the world in a tiny way.
  • Proposal to relyricize-
    Mandlebrot's in heaven
    rest---------------------
    rest---------------------
    (Continue as normal)
  • Unfortunately, 'rest---------------------' doesn't rhyme with 'His geometry succeeds where others fail'.
  • @misterN that was my idea too. rhymes be damned.
  • That would be the weirdest in joke ever if JoCo didn't explain it at a live show.
  • Mandelbrot 2010

Can't believe no one put this together yet! Kept it as true to the original mix as possible.
    And of course- Mandelbrot RIP. What a pro.
  • Mandelbrot's in heaven,
    When I wrote this he wasn't dead,
    Then he was still alive and teaching math at Yale?

Too self-referential?
  • Too self-referential?
    I would say too non-reverential.
  • Mandelbrot's in heaven,
    I really wish he weren't dead,
    and he was still alive and teaching math at Yale.

(not sure it's reverential and it is self-referential but it is a very minor lyrical change at least)
  • I think we need something about him examining/explaining the fractal nature of Heaven (or of clouds) perhaps with reference to some kind of well-known mysterious self-referential religious argument (I'm sure there are some but I can't think of an example right now, except perhaps something about God creating or being a part of Himself.) A quick Google search tells me he's Jewish, in case that makes a difference to the available references.
  • Sorry for resuscitating an old thread, but I thought the blank lines used in tonight's PAX East rendition were very tastefully done. Well played, sir...
  • Agreed - I think it was the classiest way to handle it. (Well-called, MisterN, by the way.) Rather surprised no one (including me!) has mentioned it around here recently, although I do remember that he paused similarly in Seattle last month, and the wiki entry mentions it now, thanks to an anonymous editor.

(Oh, and no apology necessary - thread-bumping is encouraged around here!)
  • He did the same thing on the cruise, although he'd seen other people handle it differently at karaoke (I'd link to karaoke videos, but I didn't get permission to post them.)
  • And in Baltimore last month.