The Unofficial JoCo Crazy Jamaican Expedition

edited October 2010 in JoCo Cruise
Some of us are planning an unofficial JoCo Crazy Jamaican Expedition, and we want you to join us! We're booking a tour guide and a bunch of exciting activities to do to fill up most of the day we are in port at Jamaica. Plan's are not finalized just yet, but currently we are planning on:

* White Water River Tubing
* Horseback riding (land and sea)
* Zip Line Canopy Tour
* Drive through Fern Gully
* Jamaican Lunch
* Stop for shopping

All with a tour guide (that is well regarded on Cruise Critic) who will drive us and teach us about Jamaica.

The price for all of this (not including food purchase or tips) would be under $150. If you've looked at any of the excursions offered by the cruise line directly, you know this is a great deal. If we get enough people, the cost for travel goes down a bit, too.

If you are interested, or just want some more details, feel free to reply here or send me an email directly at my username here at google mail (or at another1one at yahoo dot com if you can't figure that out).

EDIT: If you are seeing this for the first time, the price has come down to $125 per person due to the change of ports in Jamaica. The guide said he has plenty of room (he has a bus), so feel free to join us! You will need to bring cash (or a travelers check) to pay the guide. Transportation is $30, and we're paying separately for each of the activities. Please send me an email to confirm your interest, so we can all decide on how we're going to meet up!

~Jason

Comments

• ResRes
    edited November 2010
    Plans are finalized now! :D

There are currently 4 people going on this tour.

So the price should be around $130 per person? For all of the excursions + tour guide (not including tip and lunch though).

Just a little bit about the tubing. Most of the tubing acitivities available on the island are more like, lazy rivers. You just sit back and relax for 3 hours... But the white water river tubing that we are doing is going to be much more fun than that! If you are looking for a relaxing tubing ride, you might not want to join us. Our tubes will be going over rapids, and will be much more exciting! So, just something to consider.
  • I am interested but will have to discuss this with my husband tomorrow. Not so sure about his interest in horseback riding - if he skips that part will it cost less? I suppose if it is too late to join up with y'all I might convince the rest of my friends to do the same sort of thing. Links would be nice too...
    Thanks for arranging things, whether I join you or not!
  • We are open to taking more people with us! I've already told the guide that we are actively looking for more people on our cruise to come with us, and he said he has plenty of room. I hope you and your friends decide to come!

You don't have to take part in every activity, since we pay each entrance fee separately. The break down (assuming 4 or more people) is:

Per person:
    $40 for the guide and transportation around the island all day
    * Zipline Adventure US$45.00 pp
    * Horseback Riding US$30.00 pp
    * White Water River Tubing US$20.00pp

However, we will be driving to the horseback riding, so I'm not sure what your husband could do to fill that time.
  • edited October 2010
    Oh, sorry, you wanted a link too. Here is the guide we ended up going with: Peat Taylor tours. The tour we are doing is customized, but you can find details about each of the items on different tour pages linked from there.
  • Thanks for the link! When I read your list to my husband he said, "All that? I'm too old. And how could we do that all in one day?"

I don't think he's too old, but the question of how that all fits in one day is a good one. I looked at the link and followed some of the detail links, and saw that, for instance, one of the white water tubing things was over 3 hours, and the zip line thing was 5 + hours! (What pickup location will we be? I was looking at Ocho pickups.) Have you talked to someone there? Do you have some sort of timeline, and how it fits in the Cruise ship timeline? He is also a bit worried about horseback riding. I told him it's likely they have very tame, mild horses for tourists. Although I've been hurt horseback riding a few times, I'm not afraid, but there is some trepidation there.

I did ask a couple of my friends about whether they wanted to do excursions and the couple who'd been on a cruise before felt there was enough to do in port towns or staying on the ship. But I will forward them this info and see if I can change their minds.
  • Reptilian,

My wife and I are thinking about joining your group, but will have to wait for a while to be sure we can afford it. Is there a date that you have to finalize the tour by?
  • I have exchanged emails with the tour guide, and he knows we are on a cruise ship and how much time we have. He believes that these activities should fit. (Earlier we tried to cram in Dunn's river falls too, and he told me that something would have to go).

We're being picked up at Falmouth, actually.

We did pick a tour with a lot of activities, so I understand if it's too active for some people. We figure there will be plenty of relaxing on the ship.

MjStrwy, the tour has already been booked. I told the guide that there may be additional people coming with us and he said it is no problem. I'll send an email asking if he has a date that he needs to know the exact head count by, but I am assuming that you have plenty of time to decide.
  • From what I read, it seems like the tour guide will be picking us up in a van. I can imagine if it has two additional rows in it, that it can hold 7 people. That's just a bare minimum though.

Since we pay for everything in cash when we actually get picked up in Jamaica, I don't think we need to worry about a real deadline for giving a head count. Surely, even if we told them a couple of weeks in advance how many people will be joining us, we should be fine. :)

And as for the tour duration, I assure you we will have enough time to do everything! The tours they offer on their website are the actual packages for the whole day. We will be seeing more attractions, and doing less shopping than the other tours seem to do, since we are doing a customized experience.

My personal estimations of the times spent on each thing are as follows:
    Tubing - around 1.25 hours
    Zipline - around 2 hours (at most)
    Horseback riding - around 2 hours

We have 8 hours to spend there, so we will have plenty of time! :)
  • Actually, from the website:

"Our fleet includes 30 passengers seat coach, 15 passengers seat mini-van (for private tours) and 7 passengers seat mini-van(for private tours). All vehicles are fully air-conditioned and kept immaculately clean for customers comfort. The tours are flexible and can be customized just make your request."

So we could take a lot of people if there is the interest. :-)
  • Res and Rep, I've been talking this over with my husband and the three other friends going on the cruise, and none of them want to do all those things. I think we may try to put together our own, lighter load of a tourist excursion day. And in the end, if I can't get them to agree and arrange something, I may throw my lot in with you and drag my husband along. But for now, it doesn't look like I'll/we'll be joining you on your particular adventures. I will keep following the information here and keep you updated.

Thanks for all you did. I WILL be doing *something* and having fun, because you looked into it. Otherwise I might not have investigated it!
  • You're very welcome! :D Hope you guys can set up a good plan. ^^
  • Update: since the port has been changed to Ocho Rios, I contacted the guide to let him know. He said that the cost per person for the tour has now gone down to $30 a person! (This is for the transportation, not including any of the excursions, see above for pricing).
  • Thinking very seriously about asking for my wife and I to join you. We need to decide whether or not we have that much energy ...
  • :D It won't be so bad... really! :D You should join us! ^^
  • Yeah, the ziplines, horses, and the river will be doing most of the work, you just have to ride on them! ;-)
  • I'm in, if you'll still have me. I think the likelihood of convincing my wife to join us is pretty low, unfortunately, but I haven't given up hope.

Now thinking about how one dresses for a day that involves both tubing and horseback riding ...

Also, for no particular reason, silly pictures from past cruises:

Let loose the ... birds? ... of Vancouver

Stone to Flesh

How much for that monkey in the ceiling?

Lending a hand

Niece ponders how to escape this classic chess trap
  • Cool, arenson, that makes at least 4 of us! I'll let the guide know.

I have no idea how to dress for that day either, lol. The horseback riding will also involve the horse swimming, so I'd say wear a bathing suit under your clothes at least. Hmm... this is going to be interesting.
  • A bathing suit and a pirate hat should be perfect for any occasion.
  • I've been informed by the guide that we can add anyone else to the tour, he has the space, so it's not too late to join in!

And he says: "Take along your towels, camera and water shoes."

Also, Arenson, can you please get me your email address?
  • :D I want a pirate themed bikini now.
  • Pirate-themed Bikini is the name of Paul and Storm's other burlesque show.
  • They have more than one?

Back on topic - I need to order water shoes. Also, he says he needs cash or travelers check for payment.
  • ResRes
    edited November 2010
    How much is payment going to be, again? $35? And Angelastic, do you want to join us? :D

Reptilian~ did you order your snorkeling gear? ?
  • It'll be a lot more when you factor in the activities, which may or may not take credit cards. I'm probably just going to bring a bunch of cash. And hope to not get mugged.

Haven't ordered snorkeling gear, bathing suits, or water shoes yet. Need to.
  • Cash needed. Noted.
  • I was trying to imply that their normal act was a burlesque show, or something. I got water shoes for $5 from Canadian Tire in 2004.

I don't know about joining this expedition; I'm not even sure what some of the things are, so I don't know whether I'll be able to do them (I have cerebral palsy, the most obvious effect of which is that I walk funny) although I few quick Google searches don't make it seem particularly impossible, just a bit scary. And although I was too chicken to go on a flying fox as a kid, I'm pretty sure I could do it now. Still, I'm kind of tempted by some of the things offered by the cruise line (dolphins, pirates, getting my hair braided as all good tourists are supposed to, as long as that's not too difficult to take care of, though I think all of these things are also available on the other islands. Hmmm…)
  • My fiance and I would be very interested in joining you guys, if you're still looking for people. One catch, though, he's having knee surgery next week, and us joining you depends on how the surgery goes (it should be okay, but we won't know until afterwards).
  • Sure, we're happy to have you. Send me an email (another1one at yahoo dot com). The tour guide said that we can add more people, he has plenty of room, so don't worry about any last minute decisions. The final price, including travel and all the activities, would be $125 per person, and the guide said he needs cash or travelers check for the transportation portion ($30 per person).
  • I am interested in this. How do we put in for it, or do we pay at the port?
  • You pay at the port. :) Look at Reptilian's above post.
  • Jason,

Do you still have open spots for this? I started looking at excursions the other day and and this sounds like tons of fun for my fianc
  • We will always have plenty of room! :D
    The guide said to bring water shoes and swim suits.
  • Sweet. Next question, what time should we be at the dock in Jamaica to come along?

Also, I posted on the Scuba thread about doing the Discover Scuba with LTD Divers, are you (Res) and Reptilian still doing that one in Grand Cayman as well?
  • Awesome, glad to have more people joining us! I'd like to get everyone's emails so we can message everybody and figure out how we'll be meeting up.

We are definitely doing the Discover scuba diving with LTD. Happy to have you join us for that as well!
  • Just found this, will have to consider.
  • Okay...making it official. I'm already on the e-mail thread, but I wanted to make a public commitment to this venture :)
    My wife and I will be joining this team of sea monkeys for a full day of touristy adventure in Jamaica.
    We are looking forward to meeting you and floating down a river with you!
  • Woohoo! :D
  • I am also on said email thread, but since I'm a rude jerk, I've yet to reach out to everyone. Hi. I'm not active at all on the forums so I figured I'd at least introduce myself to you guys. Fact about me: I drew the comic that was on the cruise blog.

First time cruising, first time leaving my continent - extremely excited.
  • To anyone who has said they're interested but haven't emailed me yet - it's not too late! (In fact, you could even decide to come while on the cruise. But we'd then miss out on a chance to get to know you!)

If anyone decides at the last minute to join us - we'll be on Peat Taylor tours. The guide should have a bus parked somewhere near the dock, and he'll have an ID card. We're disembarking 15-30 minutes after the cruise docks. Be sure to have plenty of cash (or travelers checks) on hand to pay the guide and for the various activities.
  • Okay everyone!! If you haven't joined the email thread but are still interested in joining us in the excursions, be sure to follow the instructions in this thread! You can still join us! Ask for Peat Taylor outside of the dock, and leave the ship as soon as it docks.
    Total fees will be $125. Bring CASH. And don't forget to bring extra tips! I think the tour guide will be leaving around 8:45, so get there well in advance before then!!