Electric guitar rig

edited July 2010 in JoCo Music
Any other guitarists here interested in knowing what all Jonathan was playing through at Northampton and Somerville? Obviously, some sort of Tele or variant (although I'd be curious to know exactly what), which I didn't know he owned...I knew he had a Les Paul and a Strat from recording-related interviews, but never knew anything about the Tele. Amp looked like it is perhaps of the Fender variety...a Twin maybe? I'd be curious to know about the effects rig. Anyone got any info?

Comments

• JoCo called the guitar a "Nash something or other". That's all I got.
  • Thanks, Sara. Based on that, it looks a heckuvalot like a Nash T-52. Pretty nice axe. Now to try and find out more about the effects and amp.
  • I was surprised to see the Nash Telecaster too. I was expecting the Strat.
  • It's a good look for him, but I think the idea of pre-vintage, purposefully stressed looking guitars is a little silly.
  • I think it's silly too. Kind of a poser thing, imho. That being said, if I really liked some aspect of the guitar that were only available on either an expensive true vintage or one of these faux vintage rigs then, sure, i'd get one.
  • Well, someone over on the TDPRI forums built a replica of Brent Mason's Telecaster, which was beautiful...then Brent's wife made the comment that it wouldn't look right unless the builder tied it to the back of a truck and dragged it down a gravel road for a few miles.
  • It looks to me (based solely on the somewhat fuzzy video I've seen) that JoCo's Nash was _not_ built "pre-distressed." Personally I can't stand the idea of paying for a "road worn" guitar -- but there is something cool about honest play wear, especially if it is all yours. It's like paying someone to wear my jeans in for me -- they aren't going to be _mine_. I also hate it when I find a guitar that's only been played hard on the first few frets, and has VIOLENT pick wear and belt buckle rash on the back. It tells me it was played badly by a kid trying to play punk or metal, who didn't take care of it.
  • edited March 2011
    New info on this topic: I spoke with Jonathan after the Nashville show, but didn't have the presence of mind to ask him about the equipment, so I emailed him a few days later. Here is a portion of that email:

> I'm a bit of a gear-hound, and I'd be curious to know what equipment
    > you're using for the band shows. I know that the guitar is a Nash, and
    > from discussion on the forums a while back, I'm assuming it's a T-52,
    > correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > Beyond the guitar, what amps? There were several onstage Thursday night,
    > and I couldn't quite pick out what was yours and what belonged to the
    > late band. I'm inclined to believe the DeVille was what you were
    > playing through, but even at that, I'd like to hear some details on the
    > amp(s) itself.
    >
    > What's on the pedalboard (signal chain? anything in a rack?)? Definitely
    > want to know more about what "gizmos" you're running through, a little
    > about how the knobs are set, and what and when you're using them for.
    >
    > I know you've got a busy schedule for a while, but if you get a few
    > moments to give some details about your electric rig, I'd really
    > appreciate it, as I'm sure many other fans would, as well.

His response:

> It's a T-52, yes. I was going through the DeVille, which was a house amp. I'm just figuring out this gear stuff myself and don't have too many strong opinions yet, so I don't travel with my own amp. I've been going through a lot of
    > Fender Twins, the DeVille was what they had. I got myself a Line6 pedal thingie, the M-6?, anyway the one with three slots, and mostly I use the Tube Screamer in there for a little crunch on top of whatever mostly clean amp
    > sound I end up with.
    >
    > At this point tone is the least of my worries, I'm just barely holding it together up there playing and singing at the same time. I'm sure I'll refine my opinion and rig as I learn more.

So, there you have it. Simple yet effective...Tele-style guitar + Tube Screamer-type overdrive + clean Fender amp...a proven formula that is seeming to work very well for Jonathan in my opinion.