[CRUISE] Generally Talking Excitedly About the Cruise

edited July 2010 in JoCo Cruise
This is the place for everyone to discuss general stuff relating to the JoCoCruise Crazy fan cruise happening Jan. 2, 2011. (http://www.jococruisecrazy.com)

Who's coming and where you're coming from; talk about how *totally* awesome it's going to be; suggestions for shipboard activities; discuss the ports of call, the ship, the food; whatever else occurs to you.

Have at it!

Comments

• OMGOMGOMG assuming I can go, which I probably can, it's going to be so much fun to meet all the North American fans I sort of know from this board and also perhaps see some entertainment and visit the Kennedy Space Center beforehand. Arrr!
  • I totally booked this JoCo cruise in the FACE! Me and my lady-wife can't wait

Saw this excursion and immediately thought: Arrrrr!:

The Trolley Roger

Grand Cayman’s rich history and folklore of pirates and hidden loot awaits you on the one and only Trolley Roger. Permission to come aboard maties, and bring yer wee ones too for a swashbuckling tour of George Town, Grand Cayman. Your expert guide relates the entertaining history of the island and its colorful past.

Maybe we can get Wil at the helm? Course, I guess there's not much to a cruise if you just warp from port to port...
  • My wife and I are really excited about this, but we need to save before booking. Still, we'd love to be part of the first 250.

So, realistically, how many people are expected to book on the cruise?

We were on one other fan cruise for a band, and it was quite small. But this has more entertainment so I'm not sure it's a good comparison.
  • I'm guessing JoCo et al would not have made special provisions for the "first 250" unless they had a reasonable expectation of booking more than 250 people. (:

By searching the #JoCoCruise hashtag on Twitter, I can identify at least a dozen people who booked within the first 12 hours, and quite a few more who are talking about booking soon. I don't think the Collector's Edition passes will sell out within days, but by August wouldn't surprise me.

Don't take my word for anything, of course; I'm just prognosticating. Since my predictions of sellouts are usually correct though, I am going to confidently assert that enough tickets will be sold for our intrepid heroes to make a profit and consider this adventure a success.

(All this said, I'm not even sure I'm going. Can we have some more people talking excitedly to help sway my moral aversion to cruises?)
  • Why do you have a moral averson to cruises? Is there something awful about them that I'm not aware of?
  • Same question as librarian, but also, to satisfy your request, ZOMGOMGOMGOMG A CRUISE!

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to use more than one exclamation mark.
  • I was excited about the cruise until I tried to find out more details about the cruise ship. Can't get a clear answer from anyone and it's making me sad.
  • @beanzilla - what info are you looking for?

P&S
  • I was so happy when I seen the prices, although one price I didn't factor in is the flights to and from florida.

Hopefully I can find a british travel agent who will sell the holliday with flights and that its not too expensive, if not, no cruise :( Which a shame because I could have crossed something from my lifes todo list(Hi5 Wil Wheaton Aswell). not to mention I would have had a completely AWESOME time
  • Well, is there any way to know how close you are to hitting the critical 250?
  • Erm, sorry to dump on cruises in the "yay cruise" thread, but I'm pretty passionate about sustainability--and it's hard to come up with a vacation that is less ecologically friendly than cruising. Cruise ships are notorious for crushing reefs, dumping waste and contaminants, and having astronomical carbon footprints.

I don't want to dissuade anyone else from going, but every choice I make has to go through the sustainability guilt filter first--and boy do I feel guilty about potentially picking JoCo & Friends over Saving the Planet. I like travel as much as the next person and sometimes compromise on my preferred ethics, but somehow this feels more wasteful than two weeks in Spain.

Holland-America does have a sustainability statement, which is a step in the right direction. Still feel guilty.

So...who wants to help help me justify this cruise to my conscience? Anyone?

(My non-moral aversion to cruises stems from the very small overlap between the sets of "people who go on cruises" and "people I have anything in common with". Luckily JoCo/P&S/Wheaton fans are mostly "my people", and this point is unlikely to be an issue.)
  • I can't justify it to anyone's conscience; the best (or worst) I can do is distract mine from it with shiny things.
  • I just might do this.
  • Frankly, I agree with pretty much everything chicazul wrote. I could go on this cruise, which might be the only opportunity to get JoCo play "Big Dick Farts a Polka" (All-Request Show!). But adding flying over from Europe to the already (economically and ecologically) costly journey is making things worse. Right now I have the emotions "That's soo amazing" and "That's just ridiculous" hand in hand keeping me from a final decision.
  • Colleen: I think our completely ridiculous Harebrained Ideas have considerable overlap...
  • Chicazul: It's fate bringing us together. Embrace it! ;-)
  • edited July 2010
    Chicazul, I can't justify the cruise to your conscience because your conscience is right. If you never go on a cruise in your life, that's awesome of you.

However, if you go on precisely one cruise in your life (perhaps your conscience allows you to try anything once; mine does that when I see intriguing foods imported from far away), I'm pretty sure this one will have the highest awesomeness to environmental damage ratio of any you will encounter. Plus you'd get to meet many JoCo fans and hangers-on which you or they would otherwise have to take many separate flights to see, not that you would actually visit them all individually, so it's an unfair comparison, but I already told you I wasn't going to actually justify the cruise. Also, you could use the time to pester JoCo into writing some kind of song about a wasted resource who is sad, or a giant squid who has no reef to look up at because a cruise crushed everything, thus compelling his fans to be less wasteful, and ensuring that he is not tempted to put on another cruise. Or you could do something else to make up for it. Which reminds me of a hare-brained plan I once had which I didn't get around to following through before I came to my senses. I really should do that.
  • My wife and I just booked our cruise, which will be our first. We've thought about taking one before, but this is the first one to get us to take the plunge (not sure if that's a good word to use for a cruise, though). Looking forward to meeting everyone and to having a great time.

We're coming from Connecticut; maybe this time Storm will sit on my lap instead of Paul (I had the honor this April in NYC). My other goal for the tour is to get my wife (who's originally from Quebec) to teach P&S how to correctly pronounce "poutine".
  • Angela, that is exactly the sort of excited talk I was looking for.

This trip gets more enticing every time a familiar name signs up. The entertainment may be fabulous, but you folk are the ones I'd be hanging out with. (:
  • *sniff* So not fair. I just booked BNL's cruise and I don't think I can justify taking all of my vacation days within the first month of the year.
  • Okay, I has question...of questionary....questioning...?

On the Cruise site, I cannot recall where, it mentions the phrase "...all balances must be paid by October, 1st..."

Am I in understanding that this is the deadline for cruise payment, or is this just the deadline for the price increase on the entertainment pass of the Coultony type?

Just curious, because I have devised an ingenious plan to make money for the cruise...=) Just need to know if the deadline will put a huge halter on the project.
  • edited July 2010
    @Room of Angel

From the FAQ (http://jococruisecrazy.com/faq/#install):
    Can I pay my cruise fee/entertainment fee in installments?

You may pay the cruise fee portion of your booking in installments. A deposit of $350 per person is required at the time of booking; the remaining balance must be paid in full by October 1. If you wish to set up an installment plan, contact InSight Cruises upon completion of the booking process.

The entertainment pass fee must be paid in full within 30 days of booking, or by October 1, whichever comes first. (This is in addition to the $350 per person deposit noted above)

After October 1, both the cruise fee and entertainment pass fee must be paid in full at the time of booking.
  • Continuing this discussion from the room-share thread because it seems more topical here:
    Angelastic said:

Are we supposed to wear cocktail dresses for the cocktail? Because I have a couple of formal-looking dresses I never wear and I have a belt clip for my iPhone in case of pocket deficiency but I can't figure out where the iPhone would attach to the dress. How do normal girls do this?
    I believe normal girls carry a small clutch or purse. I, not being a normal girl, usually fashion some sort of purse or backpack that (hopefully) coordinates, and end up not looking particularly formal.

As far as whether the cocktail will require cocktail dresses, the dress code on the Holland-America site includes the following:
    Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.
    That said, given the typical style of our hosts, I keep imagining that formal at a JoCo-related event will mean "nice pair of jeans and a new tshirt".

However. I love dressing up. I especially love making elaborate new outfits for big occasions, and a week-long cruise is one heck of a big occasion. I don't even care if everyone else is decked out in nerd casual, but I think it would be great if there was at least one night for everyone to get shined up in party clothes.
  • I was afraid of that… small clutch purses seem incredibly impractical in that they are small and need to be clutched. But... I just remembered I have two bags loosely fitting that description which are amusing enough to be worth clutching, and consequently do not look particularly formal but also don't break the dress code. :) I like dressing up if it's really a formal occasion and everyone else is dressing up, but I feel silly dressing up otherwise, which is why I have these two gowns in my closet that haven't been worn for years.

I'm a little bit concerned about T-shirts not being allowed in some places in the evening, but I do have a few other tops.

Are you going to bring your 'It doesn't mean Wil Wheaton doesn't love you' shirt? :D And pose with Wil Wheaton while wearing it?

Hehe... I was just thinking I should move this discussion to the 'Talking Excitedly' thread when I realised you'd already done it.

I see that you can also rent formalwear:
    Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.
  • The original Wil Wheaton decal is peeling terribly, but I will likely bring a new and improved version, along with my modified Minion shirt and...hm. Likely a whole new thematically-appropriate wardrobe. (:

I'm talking like I've decided to go, aren't I?

I did more research into cruising vs. the environment, and for what it's worth, Holland-America is about as good as cruise lines get for environmental practices. I have further made peace with my ethics by pricing out carbon offsets with a local company for both this and last year's trip to Spain, which I never got around to paying indulgences for.

(Aside: Yes, carbon offsets are of dubious worth, but Offsetters is not only so local that I could walk to their head office to chat, they invest in local energy projects that will improve the sustainability of my community in the long term. I feel that making any contribution toward a measurable goal is better than nothing.)
  • Heh; I guess this is also the perfect time to go get a collared shirt with the "RE: Your Brains" logo on it. Classy and capable of showing off my cult-ish devotion to man obsessed with monkeys.
  • edited July 2010
    Flimsy five-minute filk, because it has to be done. You always have to stress the second syllable of JoCo (except in JoCo cruise) because I am lazy. I'm just throwing this out there as a skeleton for other people to improve on until there's nothing of what I wrote left, and, if Bry has his way, not much of what JoCo wrote either:

JoCo cruise is so in love with Molly,
    at least all these geeks'll tell you so.
    But while we think she's cute while playing ukelolly (meh… I was going to go with 'oh my golly' but then I thought that ukelolly was so bad it had to be used.)
    Most of us are here to see JoCo.
    And a lifetime of Hodgman's books would cause too much… er… eruditon? self-importance? World knowledge?
    Good thing that we've got JoCo on board.

JoCo cruise is JoCo cruise crazy,
    several thousand geeks and you.
    If you think JoCo cruise is awesome,
    you might be JoCo cruise crazy too,
    you'll flash your big white shiny phone
    and buy expensive merchandise (or gadgets)
    But you'd be the only man on Earth
    who couldn't figure out how to finish this chorus. Yeah, that's all I have. It's 1:37a.m.

(Continue with statements about how unimportant all the other performers are. I don't think they're unimportant, even though I'm only really familiar with half of them, but that's just the way the song went; it's not my fault.)

By the way, does anyone want me to bring them some souvenirs from CERN or anything?
  • Oh yeah, suggestions for shipboard activities:

Fancy Pants parade

(this should inspire chicazul)
  • What kind of souvenirs are available from CERN? I'm assuming you can't package up any exotic particles. (:

Should there perhaps be a keepsake exchange? The ship will be filled with many people from many places (most less interesting than CERN, to be sure) and it might be interesting to trade things.
  • edited July 2010
    There should be a keepsake exchange! I'm sure people think the places they're from aren't interesting, but that's only because they're from them. (See, I'm not from here, so I know it's interesting.)

I usually bring a whole lot of CERN playing cards to give to enthusiastic-looking geeks at JoCo shows, because they're small, light, can be played with and have a lot of information on them (there's something different on each card.) I will also bring punch cards (someone I shared an office with left behind a box of punch cards with CERN logos on them when he retired) and pins. But if anyone wants anything else, there are things like pens, rulers, mugs (which show the history of the universe when you put hot liquid in them) keyrings (ETA: including some limited edition ones with superconducting cable in them, if there are any left), lanyards, fridge magnets, caps, hard hats, ties, T-shirts (the adult ones either have a picture of a collision them, or some equations which I don't understand but I've heard they describe life, the universe, and everything) parkas (or not parkas, going by the wikipedia definition. They're thin windbreakers known in French as K-Ways) with big CERN logos on the back, polar fleece jackets, DVDs with videos you could probably find online I suppose, CDs of Les Horribles Cernettes, which you can definitely download but it might be cool to have the physical CD, books (some which you could probably get in any sufficiently technical bookstore, but also some which are specifically about CERN, and some more for kids with cartoons and stuff, like these.) There's even a pop-up book, but I see you can get it from Amazon so there probably wouldn't be much point in my bringing you one.

Here's a wonky panoramic photo I took of a souvenir display case the last time somebody asked me this. Oh yeah, the beige T-shirt on the right has the diagram from Tim Berners-Lee's proposal of the worldwide web; on the back it says, 'vague, but exciting'. Oh, and there are also tote bags with the equations of life, the universe, and everything on them. The brighter-coloured T-shirts on the right are only in children's sizes.

I will probably have plenty of spare luggage space, since I'm used to either just taking a backpack on trains or a large but half-empty suitcase with a 20kg limit when I fly to New Zealand, but all flights to or from the US have a much higher weight limit on luggage even in economy class. So I could bring a few of the larger items without a problem. I can't bring a large collider but I can bring some hadrons. :) I don't know if they'll let an antimatter canister in my carry-on though.

Also, I could bring more general Swiss souvenirs and/or chocolate.
  • edited July 2010
    They wouldn't happen to been cards with illustrations of the LHC, would they? I would love to have a novelty set of cards like that, haha.
  • They would! They have a different picture and text on each card; the clubs have information about the formation of the universe, diamonds have the history of CERN, hearts and spades the LHC and its experiments. I think one of the jokers shows the LHC itself. If you ignore the text and occasional videos, you can see a few pics of them obscured by random fridge magnets on my blog. (I can't believe nobody's put better pictures of them online!) They come in both English and French; I'll bring a lot of English decks, but if anyone wants one in French, let me know.
  • @Angelastic Those sound super-cool. Is there anything in particular you're looking for from Florida? Seeing as how I live here, I'm sure I can find something suitable to trade to you for a deck of CERN playing cards!

P.S. Just made my booking with Telaril, happy happy joy joy. :)
  • The cards are pretty inexpensive, so you don't really need to trade anything, but as it happens I do have a collection of souvenir playing cards like the CERN ones (i.e. with 52 or 54 different pictures) and wouldn't mind adding to it. I can't think of a fairer trade than that. Though if you're actually from Florida, you probably know of interesting Floridian keepsakes that I wouldn't even think of.

By the way, JoCo should definitely make a deck of Thing a Week playing cards with Len's VTAWs. I keep thinking of designing some myself and then being too lazy or forgetting or not finding some kind of playing card template to use.
  • Question for Paul and Storm: will you be available to sing backing vocals at the all-requests show? I'm just wondering whether we'd be able to request things which need more than one voice.
  • I'm just wondering whether we'd be able to request things which need more than one voice
    For example, an acapella When You Go (hint, hint)
  • I just confirmed I was able to go!

@Angelastic That stuff looks awesome! The playing cards, mug, and t-shirt are especially interesting. Anything I can get you from Alabama to trade? I could easily pick up something Crimson Tide football related or I could try to get something at the gift shop of the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville; it's only a few hours drive from me.
  • edited July 2010
    For example, an acapella When You Go (hint, hint)
    How did you know I was going to request that? :D

ETA: I don't know anything about Alabama, so anything would be interesting… except football. I love space and rockets, though, which is why I'm hoping to go to Cape Canaveral before the cruise if I can figure out transport (anyone want to go with me, or for me to pick them up a souvenir?)

Oh, also, I can pick up free copies of the CERN Courier or the CERN Bulletin if anyone wants, but you can see them on the web anyway so it's probably not worth it.
  • My husband Neal and I will be joining all of you wonderful people on this fantastic cruise. We just got our confirmation packet in the mail! I cannot wait for January. I'm a planner, so I know I'm going to drive myself crazy between now and then figuring out what to do in ports, and then changing my mind and wanting to do something else.

A keepsake exchange sounds awesome, but I'm not sure what anyone would want from Ohio. Corn? A buckeye (the nut, not a football player)? I'll have to rack my brain for something good.
  • jbtjbt
    edited July 2010
    Hello everyone. My fiance and I just booked our stateroom. We're getting married in October, but delaying our Honeymoon the JoCo Cruise Crazy.

We've both been on one cruise before ( Carnival Destiny - May 2009, Eastern Caribbean ), and it was great. The reason I'm posting is that on our last cruise, we went in a group of 10, all of whom were friends with one couple (but not all of us knew each other). We had a large table in the dining room and it was really nice to get to know a smallish group of people over the course of the cruise.

The point is, I'd like to form a group that has dinner together in the main dining room (and maybe split a cabana on Half Moon Cay). I was thinking the 5:30pm dining time because it keeps your evenings open, and if you get hungry later on, you can always find more food somewhere. Is anyone interested?
  • @jbt: You can't do the 5:30pm dining if you're going to do the entertainment, as some of the events will conflict. Reschedule your meals to the 8pm slot.
  • I don't know anything about Alabama, so anything would be interesting… except football. I love space and rockets, though.
    I figured anyone who wasn't interested in football wouldn't want football souvenirs; that's why I asked. I'll concentrate on space and rocket stuff or other stuff I find, then.
  • jbt/Icemage: If the Insight staff see that someone signed up for the entertainment has selected the 5:30 dining time, they'll automatically reschedule it to the 8 pm seating and notify them that it's been done.

Thanks,

P&S
  • jbtjbt
    edited July 2010
    they'll automatically reschedule it to the 8 pm seating and notify them that it's been done.
    Alright then, 8pm it is. Still looking for tablemates. :-P
  • The JoCo cruise is decimating my company, so far 4 of 12 software developers are signed up to go, and a few more are considering. Curse you for ruining our productivity for an entire week (oh, and I am one of those going of course)
  • Assuming that I decide to go on this cruise, would anyone be interested in souvenirs from Vancouver/Canada? Nothing space related near here, but I could get lots of 2010 Olympic swag. (:

Otherwise, I am a Maker of Things, and I would likely want to make stuff to bring. What kind of things would people like to see/have? (My friends had suggested companion cubes for everyone, but they're too bulky to travel.)

I have some ideas of my own that may be of interest to this crowd--I'm hoping to have prototypes by August.
  • edited July 2010
    Wow; my niece has apparently decided that Vancouver would be her perfect city, and when I mentioned to my sister (her mother) that I'd be going to Florida, she asked if I could get something from Vancouver for my niece. I'm not sure how she made that connection, but I guess it is possible after all.

ETA: If anyone wants me to bring them a Swiss flag or anything with a Swiss flag on it, now would be the time to say so. The supermarkets are full of Swiss things in preparation for the national day.
  • ...do your niece and her mother realize that Vancouver is nowhere near Florida? It's not even in the same country...
  • I assume they realise it, and it was just wishful thinking; or maybe it's because they know I went to Europe on the way home from San Francisco once (while I still lived in New Zealand.)
  • Answering a couple questions that were asked earlier:

- Yes, you can expect that we (P&S) will be doing some backup vocals during the request show.

- a Fancy Pants Parade is most decidedly on the list of planned events. (it was one of the first things we thought of, heh). Mostly a matter of figuring out logistics; as Jonathan mentioned in his post, the eventual number of people in our group will play a large part in what's available to us, so most things are just theoretical at this point.

That said, keep the suggestions for shipboard activities coming!

I'm *totally* on a plane right now,

Paul