New voting contest

edited March 2010 in JoCo Music
Because we have new members and I think we need some more chatter on this channel I'm thinking of starting a new polling contest. Yes, I know. shutup. Anyway...
Inspired by the Oscar season and because I know there are many different reasons to like a song I thought this time We'd choose categories, nominate songs to fill those categories and then decide on the winner.
So first step. Categories.
Best Funny Song, Best Sad Song. Best Lyrics, Best music, Best live, Best video...
Give me your thoughts on these and any other categories. I'm ok with several categories so long as there are enough songs to fill it for voting.

Comments

• Best video
    Unless you only want Flickr, that opens up to fan content, which is a whole set of new categories:
    Best Cover (which could also be another category for Jonathan categories)
    Best Remix
    Best Use of A Jonathan Coulton Song

Ok, I'll stop now, as I am struggling for new categories..I love the idea though. The fan content categories could be done yearly.
  • Best Supporting Ukuletrix ;)
  • I was just thinking of best Video in terms of the JoCo content. As in, whats his best performance captured on video; but, you're right Kerrin, opening the contest to fan content would be a great idea.
    Thanks Angela for an example of not enough nominations to fill a category. I'd hate to have a Molly vs. Kirsten showdown. Now, best guest performer? That might open the category to include the Hungry March Band, Captain Valor maybe some "Message Redacted" folks. or is that yet another category?
  • Best Video vs Best Video (not made by Spiff) Gotta have TWO categories there.
  • Spiff's vids might have to have their own category. :)
  • edited March 2010
    I'd love to find out which of my videos people like best, although I imagine it could be tough for people to vote for their favorite video and not their favorite song.
  • That is what I meant, Rob :o). We can't run Spiff up against anyone else, not a fair fight!
  • Just a newbie chiming in...

Best non-traditional bridge/solo, i.e. bango, ukele, accordian, etc.?
    Best song about non-humans? Or, you could narrow it down to non-humans and non-organic entities...?
    Best seasonal song?
    Best breakup song? (or song you'd most like to fling in your ex's face)

Jen
  • Great suggestions Jen.
    Thanks!
    Don't be afraid chiming in all you newbies!
  • Best concert video of banter and/or mistakes and goof ups maybe?
  • If we're going for performances:
    Best performance of Mr. Fancy Pants?
    Best modification of a song to suit the audience and/or onstage celebrities? (e.g, Wil Wheaton for My Monkey, assorted Britifications at the first London concert... okay, Wil Wheaton would easily win out of those two, but there are probably others I don't know about.)
    and of course, Actual. Best. Concert. Ever.

But I doubt that any of these proposed categories would really be practical to do.
  • revisiting this idea and re imagining as a Best of 2010 video contest.
    hmmm...