Thing A Week (rip off)

edited March 2010 in JoCo Music
Was gonna put this under my original post, but couldn't find it, just thought I'd put in an update on my own little Song A Week project, since I've now done the first couple of months!

So far, so good, I've kept to my commitment and output one song every Friday, and I've even managed to put out a podcast and video with it, the podcast doesn't seem to get that much interest by the video blog has gained a small amount of popularity with around 40 people a week watching it so far I think, you can check it out here www.YouTube.com/AidyMusic had the idea of making a little sketch show type thing each week and putting the song a week at the end of each one, has been great fun to do and been getting my friends involved too! If anyone on here fancies being in one drop me an email!!

Also got a little bit of media attention, with a couple of radio interviews and some online press, I've been sure to mention Jonathan's influence in all of it! You can check out an interview with me at ZMEMusic.com, oh and if you want to actually download any of my songs it's free from my site Aidy.com would so far reccomend 3 Monkeys and I don't Even Know Your Name :-)

Comments

• edited March 2010
    ::Post redacted by author::
  • edited March 2010
    and the thing about how you (paraphrasing) [aren't going to quit your day job] (as it seems like you are saying that you are somehow "better than" Jonathan, due to your ability to remain creative WHILE maintaining a day job
    Not exactly, since he's not creating a new song each week, but finishing/recording/releasing an old one, if I understand correctly (I don't recall where I read/heard that, probably on his site. ETA: I have a vague memory of seeing that in an introductory YouTube video) And he did admit (in his previous post here, I believe) that the Thing a Week thing is all about getting publicity, rather than actually creating.

Anyway, I'm subscribed to the podcast, and I like the songs I've heard so far, but I wish there were a podcast of just the songs without the intro (the way JoCo did it, and for that matter, the way the FuMP, Songfight and KEXP Song of the Day do it; yep, I'm subscribed to far too many free music podcasts; sosumi), so I could keep them around in my music playlist without having to go download them again. You could put the introductory text in the comments of the mp3.
  • edited March 2010
    the podcast doesn't seem to get that much interest by the video blog has gained a small amount of popularity with around 40 people a week watching it so far I think
    I am a little confused by the 'lesser know Jonathan Coulton' comment on your site, given the statement you made above.

Do you have even the faintest idea how many subscribers Jonathan had at the same time in his TAW process, then factor in that he is now a lot better know. Still Alive added significantly to his fan base. I think you will find you are not even in the same league as JoCo, so be careful what you say.

Jonathan plays weekly to hundreds of people all over the USA, and yearly in the UK. He plays to thousands at PAX every year, where he is now a headline act. And just this month he is opening to They Might Be Giants.

Why do you think you are better know than Jonathan?

Lesser know! Laughable.
  • I haven't visited the site (other than to subscribe to the podcast) so I don't know the context, but I can only assume 'the lesser-known Jonathan Coulton' is meant as a joke (ha ha, fat chance!) By the sound of it, this should be made clearer.
  • Hi, sorry I didn't actually mean 'lesser known' in comparison to me, I just meant in general as I normally have to explain who he is when I mention him to people I know. I don't mean to cause offense.

But yeah, not all the songs are brand new, I think its about 50/50 so far, with some having been in my head or in rough demo form. I am working incredibly hard on this though and not getting much sleep due to finishing work, and then doing what I need to do for each fridays release until the early hours. Which is why I felt the need to mention it, it wasn't meant as a dig or to elevate myself above Jonathan.

And yeah, this is a partial marketing ploy, I love Jonathans music, and what he's acheived, and I'm basically striving for something similar, and thought it was worth mentioning on here, because it was relevant and also to promote myself.

Am glad some of you have been listening to me and enjoy the music, really sorry to have annoyed some of you in the process.
  • Have now removed the phrase 'lesser known' from the site. Apologies.
  • edited March 2010
    Ah, the English language, so easy to misunderstand what people mean.

ETA: Just listened to 3 Monkeys. Not really my type of music, but it is good, so I wish you the best of luck.
  • Especially with my poor command of it. I normally get my housemate to proof read before posting new content. Once got slated for promoting another band and using the descriptive term 'fit' in relation to their female drummer.
  • I just noticed...your two gigs are in Cambridge (UK)...are you a fellow Cambridge resident?
  • Yes I am :-) I actually emailed John a while ago to see if I could persuade him to do a gig here when he played London. Thought you were all US based on here.
  • Thanks for clarifying your intent, Aidy. I have redacted my earlier statements. Keep up the good work. I like what I've heard so far. My apologies if I sounded harsh before.
  • edited March 2010
    Thought you were all US based on here.
    Oh no. There was a big UK contingent on here, although I haven't heard from many for a while. I even know of one in Cambridge.

Jonathan promised me personally he will come to Cambridge next this year. Obviously things may happen that prevent it, but I think chances are good.
  • I'm in the pseudo-UK contingent, in that I live in Switzerland but I magically turn up in the UK whenever JoCo is there. :)
  • Well, if you're from Cambridge you might enjoy the video blogs, there's actually a Cambridge weekend guide in there ;-)

Hey Kerrin, just been flicking thru your website. how'd you end up going to the Science Museum with Jonathan?
  • Hey Kerrin, just been flicking thru your website. how'd you end up going to the Science Museum with Jonathan?
    Well, I've helped Jonathan out with various things over the past, is it 5 years? So we have become friends (well, I don't like over stepping the line on using that word, but nothing else really fits). So during the 2008 UK tour, when he wanted to visit the science museum, and he had no one to go with (it was before Paul and Storm came over), and I'd asked to video everything for the tour, he invited me along.
    It was fun, and the first time I'd spent any amount of time with him.