JoCo Musical!

edited February 2010 in JoCo Music
Hello people! I had a random idea to string some JoCo songs into a coherent plot, and ended up with a musical. It's just a first draft, but I figure the JoCo fan community would get a chuckle out of it.

The setting: the not-too-distant future, an unnamed city.

Opening: Goes right into "Code Monkey", featuring the main character (tentatively Jonathan), an intelligent but awkward man, and his dead-end programming job/life. Throws the romance story at the audience a little soon, but I think it works for a JoCo story.
Key notes: lyric rewrite changes manager's name to Bob, instead of Rob. You will see why later if you can't already guess.

Act 1: We go through the motions of actually introducing the characters. We have (Jonathan), the male lead, Laura, the female lead, and Bob, an antagonist of sorts, as well as assorted office cast. The office scene wraps up quickly, as it's quittin' time and (Jonathan) heads home immediately. We are introduced to (Jonathan)'s apartment, with his mischievous, assertive, yet well-meaning monkey (tentatively Brian Dennehy). The apartment looks distinctly fresh with mess, and in comes Todd the T1000, acting like a complete tool. When Todd leaves, (Brian) and (Jonathan) discuss how to deal with him, and we go into the song "Todd the T1000", during which they hatch a plot to buy some neat gadgets to chase Todd out of the apartment. The plan works, but now (Jonathan) spent all his money on a chainsaw and a smasher, and his apartment is a wreck! Now he's broke, depressed, and alone. It's up to (Brian) to figure out how to fix this! But how?
(Brian) decides to get (Jonathan) a date with Laura. So, using his incredible monkey wiles, he gets (Jonathan) to express his feelings for Laura in the song "Drinking with You". Unbeknownst to (Jonathan), (Brian) recorded the whole thing, and he goes to play it for Laura! Laura is touched by this office introvert's sensitivity, and at (Brian)'s urging, agrees to go on a date with (Jonathan).
But before (Brian) can get home, (Jonathan) gets on the holo-phone with Bob, who says he'll give (Jonathan) a huge bonus if (Jonathan) will work on a special project called "I-Chiron Beta Prime" (no, no song). Now (Jonathan) has a lot of work to do, so when (Brian) gets back to tell him to get to the restaurant, (Jonathan) is too busy. By the time (Brian) convinces him, it's too late, and Laura's gone. (Brian) spends the next few days getting (Jonathan) to ask Laura out himself, and we go into "Big Bad World One". But it does work out in the end, and we get a nice reprise of "Drinking with You" sung by Laura. And it's the perfect time, too, because (Jonathan) finished his big project and handed it over to Bob. But while they're on their date at the food court, (Jonathan) and Laura hear the horrible announcement: someone managed to work their way in to the world missile defense network with some never-before-seen program thought to be dubbed "ICBP" (oooooops), and deployed missiles from a hidden island base to spread a bio-agent at key locations throughout the world! It's a zombie apocalypse!

End of Act I [Continues in next post]

Comments

• Act II: Days later, still at the food court, though it looks noticeably more trashed. (Jonathan) and Laura are in tattered clothes with plenty of survival gear, and the first thing that happens is that zombies fight their way to the forcefield erected at the back of the stage. In walks Bob! And he looks like some sort of zombie! "Re: Your Brains" becomes the first song of the act. (Jonathan), Laura, and the rest of the survivors fight on, but hope seems lost, when a helicopter sounds overhead. In comes (Brian) with the cure to the zombie plague. The zombies fall, and the group is saved. (Brian) goes off to save the rest of the world, leaving (Jonathan) and Laura to talk about the apocalypse. (Jonathan) makes no attempt to hide that it was his fault, but Laura hears none of his apologies. She leaves, and (Jonathan) doesn't feel too good about it. As (Brian) is stopping zombies, (Jonathan) is performing "Not About You". Laura gets fed up with his behavior, and reveals that she MIGHT have considered giving him a chance if he hadn't acted like such a child. (Jonathan) goes home and sits on his broken couch, hating himself, when in comes (Brian) warning about something horrible happening! What, you ask? The answer comes in the form of Todd the T1000 lasering his way into the apartment with an army of T1000s behind him (possible reprise of “Todd the T1000”)! Looks like the zombies were just stage one!
    (Jonathan) and (Brian) use their weapons and monkey wiles to beat back the robots, but it turns out that they were after someone else. They kidnap Laura! And she is taken to...Skullcrusher Mountain! It turns out Bob wasn't a zombie, but was in fact their creator! We get "Skullcrusher Mountain", and we go back to (Jonathan) and (Brian). They're losing against the robot apocalypse. It's "The Big Boom" time! But they find their way to an airport, and it's off to Skullcrusher Mountain.
    Before they get there, we get the big reveal that Bob was posing as a manager to be close to Laura, who had rejected him in high school. Flashback to "The Future Soon". But, while he's singing, Laura escapes, robot (or zombie) wolves be damned! As she gets to the outside of the mountain, she meets with (Jonathan). But even in the face of danger, they can't seem to resolve their differences. It's up to (Brian) to bring them together. He gets (Jonathan) to express his feelings indirectly, by pretending it's (Brian) who's feeling them. Cue "My Monkey". It's enough to bring (Jonathan) and Laura back together, and they fight! But Bob escapes to his space station, where the rest of his robot army is waiting. Laura needs to stay on Earth to find her family, but Bob needs to be fought! When (Jonathan) states that he's going up into space with (Brian), Laura sings "When You Go".

Ending: It seems as if the two will be parted, but when Laura gets home, (Jonathan) is waiting there! (Brian) convinced him to stay to defend Earth and be happy with Laura. We end the musical with "Monkey Shines"

Total of 12 songs plus 2 reprises. So far.

I can think of a million changes it needs on my own, but I do not have the time to devote to writing a script for an imaginary musical, even if it has awesome songs. Please enjoy this silly, silly thing.