Where have they all gone? Topic for NEW SONG

edited December 2009 in JoCo Music
No songwriter can really write a new song without a topic and some inspiration. But I noticed something in the news lately that I am certain that Jonathan Coulton could turn into a mind-bending smash hit.

With only the tiniest help from John Hodgman, I am fairly certain that Jonathan will not be able to look into this story without getting some wonderful ideas. After all, he's already done several sea creatures and these by their absence are just screaming for a song!

Google Pier 39 or copy this address:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/12/marine-mammal-mystery-sea-lions-disappear-from-san-franciscos-pier-39.html

If Hodgman and Coulton can't tell us where all the sea lions have gone...who can?

Perhaps someone or something is causing their disappearance!

Comments

• I keep wondering if they left any last notes...like, "So long, and thanks for all the abalone" or something.
  • Sing hey-hidey-ho, where'd the sea-lions go?
    With their bodies so furry and brown.
    Sing ho-hidey-hey, have they all gone away?
    For we haven't seen many around.

All I know is work is easy when you don't stress out about sea-lions.
  • If all the sea lions were found to be in captivity, you could make a joke about the seal ions being found in compounds.
  • Perhaps the sea lions were frightened away by the recent cell phone emissions law passed in San Francisco. All cell phones must be labeled now with how much electro-magnetic radiation they produce.

Perhaps it is the effect of "global warming". Since it has been getting cooler on average for the last 10 years, maybe the sea lions decided to go someplace warmer!

Or, maybe they just got a good look at Nancy Pelosi !

Surely, Hodgman could give us a perfectly factual-sounding explanation.

Let's ask him!
  • Maybe the sea lions lost their hair due to cellphone emissions and global warming and are now crustaceans.
  • The sea lions are at my house, and I don't mind telling you they're outstaying their welcome.
    They've long since eaten every bit of tuna in the fridge, they never hang the towels back up, and they're hogging the remote. If you ask me, they act like a bunch of animals!

California can have them BACK.
  • Funny, maybe it was this post that put me in that frame of mind, or maybe it's just bleeding obvious, but when yesterday's paper headlined the issue of rare earth metal production and the politics around it, my immediate instinct was also that it would make a great geeky song.
  • Come on Jonathan, if you can't write a song about mysteriously disappearing sea lions in San Francisco Harbor...well, you're not spending enough time slapping your flippers together!

Record cold temperatures for most of the country tonight..."global warm...uh,...what?"

Oh, that's right, we are still in the cooling stage of global warming. Meanwhile, sea lions are probably swimming South...to get warm.

Does Jonathan Coulton ever comment on our mad meanderings? It would be nice to hear his take on this.
  • edited January 2010
    Nah, he doesn't seem to read the forums. Paul and Storm do though, and they answer to letters from fans really well too. I recently requested a song about...well, I won't say in case they change thier minds and do it ( they said they were resting after all the work of the Christmas Album they just finished). If you look at recent national news though, you will probably figure out what I asked them to sing about!
  • Let's see...unemployment, terror attacks, Somali pirates, health 'care' legislation...oh, no! Not Tiger Woods?
  • leighdf: I'm betting that sea lions make terrible house pets. But I knew they were hanging out someplace warm. I guess taking a bath is out of the question with 1900 sea lions at your house.
  • Maybe they hate California. Something in the water? Maybe something in the sand?
  • Well, I was wrong. They didn't go South to get warm. They went North to get food. About 500 miles North. But at least we know where they are now and what they are doing...But for the life of me I can't remember what they are eating. I guess if I were a sea lion,,,I would remember. Some kind of fish I think.
  • Some kind of fish I think.
    That seems like a safe bet. If it was cheeseburgers, we've got a story (and maybe a song).
  • And if Tom Robbins were involved, there'd be mermaids with peyote buttons.