Your song lyrics, etc.

edited January 2007 in Everything Else

This may be completely out of line. I haven't really gotten a feel for this forum and its unwritten rules yet. We'll see.

Anyway, my point: I'm sure some of you fans out there are amateur (or I guess serious) musicians or lyricists, or just jot things down when you're bored. Have you written any music or lyrics or anything? If so, share here. I'll reserve posting anything of mine at the moment because (1) It's crap, and (2) I'm not wholly self-centered.

Anyway, just curious as to how broad the creative talents of JoCo's fanbase are.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I was actually going to start a shameless self-promotion thread, because I'm basically trying to advertise everywhere, but I have a Musical to which I wrote the score(working with a Cinema Studies major who wrote the Book and Lyrics), which is going up on March 2, 3, and 4. Evening performances on the 2nd and 3rd, Matinee on the 4th, in Oberlin, Ohio(just off of 80), Little Theater, Warner complex(It's the student production black box theater).

Anyways, I've posted demos of the entire score save the bridge to one song and another entire song, because when I recorded last month, they hadn't been, technically, written yet. Now they've been written, but I don't have access to the technology I used to convert from a 4-track recorder to CD, which is what I used to post them online. Three songs(Son of a Virgin, Simple Words, and Morning in America), were recorded last spring, with a demo cast, and me playing piano, when the score actually only consisted of those three songs, and three other songs that aren't in the final score. The rest of the songs were recorded recently, with me singing and me on piano. The quality of these is way down, because I was using outdated technology, because until I head back to Oberlin in another month, I don't have access to the good stuff. Also I'm not a vocal performance major like the demo cast. There will be a good version coming out some time in the spring, but I'll most likely be selling that one, as it will be recorded with the full pit(really a misnomer, it's a 4-piece pit, Guit, Bass, Drums, Piano), and singers that are specifically chosen by song, on high-quality equipment, and so I can justify asking for money kind of.

Anyways, the point to this all, is that it's up at www.putfile.com/Khavall so you can get it there, and also if you live around Ohio, March 2, 3, 4, Oberlin, you can see it performend live with the real pit.
  • Oooh, a musical? I vaguely view that as like, the pinnacle of success, to write a musical and have it produced. Ha, Oberlin. I have to go there sometime, or at least I should, because I applied to Oberlin College (arts and sciences, not the conservatory) but have yet to visit it. Haha, this musical sounds wonderful. I should totally come see it.

Yes, I'm the lame high school student who puts off studying for her chemistry final by writing a song about the atomic theory.

Democritus first had the idea of the atom.
    Plato and Aristotle disagreed.
    Newton, on the other hand, supported Democritus.
    Dalton formed his four-part theory.

J.J. Thompson had a Cathode Ray Tube.
    He discovered the ration of an electron's charge to mass:
    One point seven six times ten to the eighth coulombs per gram.
    He also made the plum pudding model, but that would come to pass.

Milikan then came and followed this up
    With his famous oil drop experiment.
    He determined the charge and the mass of an electron.
    It was a rather celebratory event.

Henri Becquerel had photo paper
    And, along with Marie and Pierre Curie,
    Discovered radiation; Ernest Rutherford
    Discovered the three types that there could be.

...and then I stopped, because my final was the next day and I really did have to study. And it was extremely irritating when none of the atomic theory stuff was on the final, because I totally remembered it all.

And then this was inspired by a girl who couldn't be on the English Superbowl team because, in her words, she was "devoting her life to robotics."

Cyborg girl
    You gave your life up for robotics.
    The humans all called you neurotic,
    but they just didn't understand.

Cyborg girl
    Your brother had to do this to you.
    The scientists gathered and slew you.
    They all were working hand in hand.

(chorus)
    Half human, half machine - they called you a monster,
    and you stared back with teary eyes.
    Half human, half machine - they called you a monster.
    It's not what you expected, and you've come to despise
    the world.

...there's more, but eh. Oh, also, I just write lyrics when I'm bored or get an idea or something, and I generally have the rhythm a vague idea of the melody in my head, but I never actually write music for them, mainly because I'm lazy. And god forbid that they should actually be sung by me, because I definitely can't sing. Which is kind of a shame, because I'm all hardcore band geek, you'd think I'd be at least mediocre at, you know, other areas of music. But unfortunately not. And then this, which sort of came out of nowhere:

The night falls.
    I know not why
    the serpent calls,
    but its calls belie
    the hatred and the anger
    behind its laziness and languor.

The stars stare.
    I don't know how
    the dark dares
    to take a bow
    and leave vulnerable its back
    to be stabbed, to be attacked.

And then "Columbus Day from the Native American Perspective," inspired by, well, Columbus Day...:

We Native Americans were dismayed
    to see the mess Columbus made.
    What were we to do when Columbus came?
    He is the one whom we must blame.

Columbus, Columbus!
    You wrought so much destruction.
    Columbus, Columbus!
    You necessitated our reconstruction.

You gave us smallpox viruses concealed in blankets.
    This is the thanks we get?
    We gave you everything that you wanted,
    But still you got us hunted.

Columbus, Columbus:
    You killed us, Columbus.

...Whoa, sorry, that goes on forever. I'll stop now.
  • My (completed) songs were all written when I was totally high on selfish angst. As such, some are listenable and some are not. Due to being a huge fan of Rush, Yes and Pink Floyd, none have less than 6 chords in them. Most are incomplete due to a complete lack of free time (as evidenced by my absence from typing away my thoughts on the forums)