JoCo Day 2009

123457»

Comments

• I think the YouTube upload worked this time; if it doesn't decide to abandon processing, the video should appear here soon. Of course you are all encouraged to upload it to your own YouTube accounts to create more of a buzz, and don't forget to tag JoCoDay09.
  • We need a properly-tagged mp3 version of the final mix to link to from the video. Maybe with some kind of cover art? Perhaps a pic from the final chorus.
  • Kerrin and MightyJack didn't do greetings.
    Yeah, I forgot on the one day I had time to do anything for this (which is the day I recorded the video and audio)
  • Phew, at least this means I didn't forget to add it. :) You could always record one now and add it as a reply on YouTube or something.
  • edited December 2009
    I was impatient and too tired to restrain myself, so I twittered him already, even though it'll probably be lost in the many tweets he must get while asleep. I hope nobody minds. I forgot the #JoCoDay09 tag.

ETA: On the subject of Twitter, are Borba and MightyJack on there? Everyone else is.

EATA: Also, now that it's not a secret any more, I think it'd be a good idea to twitter Wil Wheaton with a link when he wakes up, and ask him if he'd punch @jonathancoulton. Just to make sure we're not misrepresenting him.
  • It looks GREAT!!!
  • Damn you, Angelastic, now you're going to push me over the edge to get a Twitter account. And just a week after MySpace suspended my account for terms of use violation (apparently this is typically for distributing offensive material. They don't list nonuse as a punishable offense, but I hope that this was the cause, since I don't recall logging in for about a year, and I'm not a known sleep-typist.)
  • The birthday boy should be awake now... tweetbomb, anyone?
  • edited December 2009
    Wow, guys, I just saw the video and I'm surprised. The pure awesomeness of it all blew me away. Another job well done on a forum project! I really need to hang around here more often again to keep up with the cool kids' going-ons and try to join in. :)

And I just sent a twitter message (I still refuse to use the terms "tweet" and "to tweet / tweeting") to Jonathan with a link to the video. :D
  • Wow, at first I considered volunteering for audio or video remixing, but now I am so glad I didn't, cause it turned out a thousand times better than I could have ever done it and beyond!
    So fricking awesome job everyone, especially Borba and Angelastic! :)
  • My secret recipe for awesome that never fails:

1) Take many small pieces of awesome.
    2) Stick them together with awesome glue. [there's a punny name for this which I haven't thought of yet]
    3) ???
    4) Non-profit!
  • What an awesome cover/tribute. I love you guys :) Thank you for making me smile today.
  • It's official, we are the greatest fans in the world!
  • I just heard the final audio. OMG I got a solo (well sort of)...I can't sing, how did that happen?
  • That's awesome guys! Great job! I'll have to get in on that next year. ^_^
  • I'll have to get in on it too. I also need to check these forums more - who'd have thought of a YouTuber missing out on a collab project they'd have wanted to pitch in on?
  • @chicazul excellent job on the tiling btw. It's much snazzier than I would have done :)
  • One unfortunate aspect of JoCo Day is that those who are preoccupied with NaNoWriMo are all too busy to participate. :-(
  • edited December 2009
    @sporksmith - Thanks! Still makes me wish I knew how to use Premiere, I keep thinking of ways to improve. Next time!

ETA: I love your & blackcatbonifide's videos. You look like you're having so much fun!
  • So my YouTube copy of the video (which was twittered by JoCo) has been stuck at 306 views for the last few hours, which I think is the same number of views that the Muppet Rhapsody had when I saw it (depite having 8000 comments and being posted all over the net) so I assume it's YouTube-speak for 'too many views for us to count right now.' It's being retweeted all over the place (just search for @wilw and you find plenty of tweets about it) and is linked from this Wired article. Good job, guys!

If we ever need props (or more participants? I don't know the scope of this exactly, but you know, Tauntaun sleeping bags for example) for the next thing, Think Geek might be able to help
  • YouTube doesn't update view count instantaneously. Check back in a couple hours.
  • Doesn't update view count instantaneously? It was updating very rapidly just after JoCo twittered about it. :D I think 306 is some magic number it gets stuck at.

Anyway, I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

Well, it's only really a huge success if people who don't already know of JoCo see it, which is difficult to gauge.
  • I'm hoping he'll use this as an excuse to update his blog, which he hasn't touched in a month.
  • Great job guys. I wish I could have helped, but I wouldn't have been able to do anything. I do have a webcam on this laptop, but I have no idea how to record any video :/

Oh well. Maybe next year.
  • edited December 2009
    @Angelastic:
    Kerrin and MightyJack didn't do greetings. Somebody please confirm this...
    I'll confirm that for me... I didn't see that request until after my video was recorded in Divreon's studio, and with him being swamped with work for the holiday season I couldn't pester him with another video shoot and I don't own a webcam. So you didn't miss my happy birthday greeting, it just wasn't there.
    On the subject of Twitter, are Borba and MightyJack on there?
    I am... my handle is MightyJackServo on Twitter.

I've seen the final video, and I'll add to the accolades about how well this thing turned out, especially given the tight deadline the people doing the coordinating and editing were working under. This thing is so damn fun to watch and it's a touching tribute and I'm very glad that I could be a part of it. It was fun to do and it was fun to watch and a big thank you goes out to the ones who had to put in the overtime at the last minute to pull it all together!

ETA: And thank you for putting me in the center square... :-)
  • @MightyJack - You're welcome. (: I thought your video deserved a distinctive place!
  • OMG I got a solo (well sort of)...I can't sing, how did that happen?
    Assuming you are referring to Fudgie the Whale? At some point I realised that the low octave blokes have no special place to be heard, and then I had a flashback to being ignorant about Fudgie (back in the old days of, uh, Sunday) and figured you can be cast as the sinister voice of Fudgie, supported by SporkSmith. I eventually added myself doing amateur Tuvan throat singing impressions to pad out the blubber, but toned that down at the last minute. So there you have it. Oh, and you're one of the three lucky ones to have had some chorus added to your voice ;-)

Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby submit to you Kerrin's Fudgie nomination.

@Angelastic: Double damn you. @BorbaTheGeek has been created.
  • Just...

Incredible....

(missed out again!) ;' )
  • More random accolades:
    • My 2yo son requested to see the video over and over again tonight.
    • My wife wants BlackCat's hair. Are you using it, BlackCat?
  • edited December 2009
    I want chicazul's hair.

Does anyone want my hair? I still have it in a pony tail in a plastic bag, ready to be sent to a cancer charity in Belgium if I don't find anything closer.

ETA: I still think somebody should make a properly tagged and album-arted mp3 of the final mix, and I'm too tired/lazy/full of myself after being praised as a video editor to do it.

By the way, according to last.fm. The Forumites are similar to Martin Payne Smith. I have no idea why.
  • Well, this JoCo day is now ruined for me. My grandma died about an hour and a half ago :(

I feel especially horrible for my aunt. Today was (also) her birthday.
  • Oh no.

How awful both for you and your aunt.

I'm so sorry to hear the sad and painful news.
  • @Dr. Cox: oh, I'm so sorry. I hope you and your family can find comfort in each other during this sad time.
  • I'm very sorry to hear that, I know how painful that is. Hang in there, and take good care of your Aunt.
  • An idea for those of you posting the video to your youtube pages.... add a link in the description, directly back to this thread. It might lead some other curious and creative new people to the forums.
  • Aw, sorry to hear about your grandma. :(

Jmonkee: I just added a link on mine, mentioning that it's discussion ID 1337. I ran it through a URL shortener since YouTube puts random spaces in normal-length URLs which makes them unclickable.
  • I ran it through a URL shortener since YouTube puts random spaces in normal-length URLs which makes them unclickable.
    I noticed something funny yesterday. How long have they been doing that?
    Where do I find this magic URL shortener?
  • Is it tinyurl?
  • I noticed something funny yesterday. How long have they been doing that?
    I noticed it a while ago. If I recall correctly the links are clickable in some contexts but get broken in others.

I used tinyurl to link to I'm Having a Party, because at tinyurl you can choose the identifier and make it more memorable (although it gave me a random identifier anyway because the one I'd chosen had already been taken.) Then I used is.gd to link to this thread, just because I'm used to using is.gd for Twitter. There are many URL-shorteners out there, bit.ly and ow.ly for example.
  • Awww Perry ((megahugs)) I am sorry to hear about your loss. Take care of yourself and everyone around you who is hurting hon.
  • I feel especially horrible for my aunt. Today was (also) her birthday.
    Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died on the same day: July 4, 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. There has been speculation ever since that force of will, the desire to live to that auspicious day, helped preserve them to that date. Perhaps your grandmother wanted to stick around until your aunt's birthday but could stay no longer? It may help to think of her life, her time with all of you, your time on this earth, your aunt's time, as a present, with your grandmother having had a part in all these gifts. Looking at it that way might bring some solace, eventually.
  • Thanks for the thoughts, all.

Mark: I suppose that's possible. Though, if she was going to hold on for anything, it probably would have been for June, when her first great-grandchild would be born (My brother's girlfriend). I guess she couldn't hold out that long, though :/
  • Here is an interesting thing maybe someone has an explanation for.

I have google adwords set up for my adventure game site. And on December 1st there was a big drop in my spend from maximum (which is really low btw) to 40%.

We're talking very small numbers here. After all, I am just using up the free money I got when I bought the domain.

Still I thought it strange that the one day the fans make an effort to promote Jonathan, and I get a drop in searches.
  • Maybe the other posts related to joco day (eg the wired blog post) "stole" search-result clicks?
  • I think Spektugalo's video is worth mentioning. It's the one he put on box.net with the final mix of the song a few other modifications.

Also, I noticed that YouTube says I uploaded the collaborative video at December 01, 2009, 12:00 AM... I am not sure what time zone that is but it's pretty good considering that was the third time I uploaded it and it was just while I was eating breakfast in the morning without paying attention to the time. It's not rounded to the nearest midnight or anything; other videos have less round timestamps.

Incidentally, according to YouTube's statistics, only 14 people have discovered the video through the Wired blog post, most of the rest found it through Twitter.