The Borba piano arrangements

edited October 2009 in JoCo Music
A cough in the dark from a long-dormant forumite.... Ages ago I mentioned I had all these half-completed JoCo piano arrangements. I finally got as far as putting two on YouTube:

Creepy Doll
I'm Your Moon

I'm hoping to supplement them with others at some point. Also I acknowledge that the "style" wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea - we're talking here about a niche within a niche. But hey, I enjoy doing it ;-)

ETA: Wedding Night on Skullcrusher Mountain
ETA: Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
ETA: Millionaire Girlfriend #2 (Caroline)

Comments

• Holy crap! WOW!!!

Absolutely brilliant, Borba! My hat off to you...

(Sheet music link?)

:-)

(speechless)
  • Gee thanks, I guess that's two cups of tea then? Damn it, Edric, I should have been prepared for that question. My secret hope would be to actually notate it and find that somebody with better chops than me performs it on a proper piano. But apart from finding the person with that enthusiasm, the missing link is the notation. I can hook you up with the sheet music of the Michael Pletnev Nutcracker suite if you're interested - it's absolutely awesome writing. And the essence of "I'm Your Moon" can be summed up in about 16 measures, which really ought not be that difficult. Thing is, I now recall I still owe you two measures of notation from months ago! :-( But hey, in a few weeks we'll be getting another computer added to the household, and I might get some evening time on the desktop that has Sibelius. Who knows...

The one that I wish I could now get finished is Skullcrusher Mountain. It's just missing a bridge, but nothing I do feels like it fits. Spoiler alert: it's titled "(Wedding night on) Skullcrusher Mountain."
  • edited October 2009
    Make that three cups of tea. Bravissimo! Yum!

Also, nice decision to make the bridge of Creepy Doll soft and quiet, the opposite of how it's originally played.

(But wait.. if Tchaikovsky copied JoCo, doesn't that mean that Nutcracker Suite is now under the CC? :-p )
  • My secret hope would be to actually notate it and find that somebody with better chops than me performs it on a proper piano.
    BETTER chops?!?! Wouldn't that rip the very fabric of time and space?!?
    But apart from finding the person with that enthusiasm...
    MMMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hmm... It sounds like Edric might consider ripping the fabric of space and time. But he doesn't sound very enthusiastic about it at all.

• It's all smoke and mirrors, Edric, although I sense you will derive pleasure from smoking some yourself*. No promises, but I am making a mental note to do the notation some day!

* while watching yourself in the mirror (gotta drink a bloody strained metaphor to the dregs...)
  • Those are fantastic! Got a link to the .mp3s? (please :)
  • @Spiff: That's a slightly embarrassing request. I guess I could just give you the audio from the video, but I'd really like to redo them without the bother of the camera. How about this offer: I'll try and rerecord them over the weekend, and if I don't get anything satisfactory out of that, you can have the video's audio. It's psychologically a bit silly, in that the video's are obviously "home videos" so one doesn't have an expectation of perfect performance, whereas an audio recording should have less mistakes, not to mention freedom from nasty clipping (end of Creepy Doll - I smudged it a bit with fader automation, and now it sounds a bit seasick).

@Caleb: Interesting observation about the soft bridge in Creepy Doll. I haven't thought about it that way myself, although funnily enough I was very conscious of doing such an inversion in I'm Your Moon. In IYM, the bridge is the part where things come out in stark relief, the voice sheds its reverb, and it feels incredibly intimate and honest. Since I did the verse in a bit more of a "clinical" manner, I figured the bridge may as well dissolve in emotion.
  • Borba, you can provide anything you're in the mood to provide, or nothing at all. I just like your stuff and would enjoy having it on my iPod. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Holy smokes, Borba! I finally got a chance to watch. These are great! I particularly liked your version of Creepy Doll, and being able to see your hands during the chorus was a real treat. Can't wait to hear Skullcrusher Mountain. You have excellent arranging skillz. :-D

Haha! I just noticed that you included my critique of I'm Your Moon in your YouTube info. Um, you're totally forgiven for the F-natural. It's growing on me. :-) So, I noticed that you decided to go with the A instead of the original B at the beginning of each verse, e.g., A on the "rea-" of "reason" but B on the "mat-" of "matter." Just your own personal flair? Splitting the difference on JC's vocal slide?

ETA: Borba, have you told JC about these, or submitted them as user content on the site?
  • edited October 2009
    Damn, Colleenky, you're now being more analytical than me ;-) Truth be told, I passed the point of worrying about that detail - when I worked up towards recording it, I hadn't played it in a while and just concentrated on getting it to the point where the percentage of (unintentionally!) wrong notes was passably low. If I can do post facto rationalisation on the A vs B issue, I think it was a case of giving priority to the ostinato. Some variations on the pattern ended up with missing beats, so I tended to the version that kept the sixteenth notes going. The "mat" is actually my favorite bit of the pattern, since I did manage to get a slide to the A in, but only by having the right thumb sneak in between the left hand's melody B and ostinato/bass D. It's probably easier to explain in notation or slow motion...

I did email the links, and Scarface suggested I submit them as user content, which I valiantly attempted, although I'm Your Moon didn't seem to work - I'm guessing some parser borked on the apostrophe in the URL. Yeah, like everyone else making their own stuff, I'd love JoCo to hear them, because I imagine they will elicit some kind of facial expression!
  • I have no idea what you two are talking about, but it was amazing to listen to and watch (even leaving aside the arrangement and looking at what is probably a fairly basic skill for piano players, how do you move your hand halfway down the keyboard and find the precise key you want in a split second, while playing things with the other hand? I'd have to be some kind of octopus to play that. Eight hands clapping for you, Borba.)
  • Angelastic: I'm sure it's like typing, where you eventually just learn where each key is, without having to look. That said, I'm just as impressed by it. That was one of several things that I never got good at doing when I took piano lessons. Another being simultaneously reading 2 lines of music at once.
  • The "mat" is actually my favorite bit of the pattern, since I did manage to get a slide to the A in, but only by having the right thumb sneak in between the left hand's melody B and ostinato/bass D. It's probably easier to explain in notation or slow motion.
    Actually, that makes perfect sense. (Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic.) That's way cool! Now I'm gonna go listen for that.

BTW, I'm trying to come up with a cover band joke for "moto perpetuo" and failing. My Bach cover band? My Baroque cover band? My basso continuo cover band?

P.S. Borba, as a music student, did you have to suffer through Grout's History of Western Music? I'm rereading it now in prep for my Yale audition.
  • Heh, as a non-music student, I subjected myself to a semester of Stolba's Development of Western Music. Before college, I spent a lot of free time reading through Piston's Harmony, and looking up specific articles in Grove's Music Encyclopedia. Good times.

Speaking of Baroque cover bands... this thread had reminded me that I started working a while ago on a Baroque arrangement of (ironically enough) "The Future Soon". I've pulled it out and started working on it again, and I'm at the end of the second chorus. It's (loosely) in the form of an Italian Baroque Oboe Concerto -- I guess you could call it "Bach To The Future (Soon)" (sorry!).
  • edited October 2009
    There's a "Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow" joke in there somewhere. Something along the lines of "Where tradition meets tomorrow for a night of heavy drinking". Which brings me to my new unofficial byline for my JoCo project: "The 19th century gives a vigorous spanking to the 21st".

@Colleenky: Yes, I was a Grouter too. I don't remember it as suffering, but then again I don't much about it anyway. Let me guess offhand that Grout, like every other history book out there, has the illustration of Pythagoras and the bells/anvils etc, and of course The Guidonian Hand!

ETA: @Caleb and Angelastic. I agree that it's got a lot in common with touch typing. Maybe the biggest difference is that one can pretty much cover the whole QWERTY keyboard using finger and wrist movement, whereas the arms and even the torso come into play with piano. Extend for organ and big percussion setups. One embarrassing side effect of the sheer physicality is that I am now reminded of how much weight I've recently put on every time I get to the Creepy Doll refrain, since I have to move my torso really fast, and the inertia is way more noticeable than it would have been ten years ago!

I have to confess that it's just plain fun to play things with big jumps and to see it work. Before the novelty wears off, there is always a few minutes of "I can do THAT?" ;-) Skullcrusher's last verse is currently getting quite wild in that regard.
  • edited October 2009
    "The 19th century gives a vigorous spanking to the 21st".
    Oh, that made me LOL. It's good to have you back, Borba. Stick around, won't you?

Ha! Guess where my Grout is currently bookmarked. The Guidonian Hand! No Pythagoras with bells to be found, though. Oops. Spoke too soon. There he is on page 37, but it's not the classic illustration. (The Guidonian Hand has been mentioned on these here forums before. And it was so long ago, we didn't have hyperlinks. Seriously.)

Caleb, you read Piston's Harmony *voluntarily*? I mean, Grove's can be kinda interesting, but *Piston*?!
  • Well, not all the way through. On the bright side, there were no tests either. I wanted to know how music worked, and my Mom had an old copy next to piano. I was homeschooled, so I was pretty used to picking up interesting topics and just investigating them on my own.
  • edited October 2009
    I was so taken with Borba's "Creepy Doll" rendition, I used it for a short little announcement video I just made (with Borba's permission, of course).

(the video is just 1:22 long, but it took me literally all day to make)
  • That was GREAT Spiff, lol! Almost enough to get me to join Twitter. Almost. *grin* I dont want another addiction!
  • I keep listening to I'm Your Moon. _SO_GOOD_!!!

As soon as sheet music is available, I want a copy! Money no object!

Edric
  • Talking about Borba....

Got another chance to shout out about his amazing work on my Song Fu song...
    http://juliasherred.com/2009/11/joe-covenant-lamb/

I've been made featured *band* of the month !!!
  • Moving on, I've got the next one in the can (well, up to "good enough for YouTube" standard...);

Wedding Night on Skullcrusher Mountain
  • I took my shot at the three in a private message. Good luck, everyone!
  • And again -- AWESOME job, Borba!!!

• Nice!

I recognized the last one on the first time through, but it took a while before I was able to recall what the rest of the piece was. I was able to figure out the second one with a little bit of Youtube research, but I haven't got a clue what the other one is... Drummer Boy??? (kidding!) :-)
  • edited November 2009
    (accidental double post redacted)
  • I've got the first and last, although I wouldn't have had the first had I not been, as a youth, a neophyte pianist. Also helps that it pbagnvaf bar jbeq bs gur ivqrb anzr naq funerf n pbzcbfre jvgu gur ynfg.
  • Okay -- it took a while, but I now know that I know all three. We'll see if I was fast enough...

• Since Edric already knows, I went ahead and wrote a one-liner Python program to decode Bry's clue. One Google later, and I'm now listening to a Youtube video of the one I didn't know. Interesting, I've never heard that piece before. I was expecting something along those lines, but I only knew that it wasn't the obvious choices from Mendelsohn's Midsummer or Wagner's Lohengrin.
  • edited November 2009
    Bry, now you've got ME scratching my head. Is that a varation of "F u cn rd ths, xh hpor sksk qta"?

And correct, Edric. Would you perhaps like to post your answers and request (assuming you have one!) on YouTube, saving me the trouble of posting it and looking like I made you up? ;-)

By the way, I *am* working on notation. Got a bit of Creepy Doll done, and although it will still take a while, I will happily share work in progress with anybody - just send me a PM.

ETA: Bry, I must admit that "Wedding day at Troldhaugen" is really only known to pianists. But perhaps that's why I felt compelled to include the strong hint in the title. And darn it, it makes a good title!
  • @Caleb: Please help! I don't have the time, and evidently the intelligence this early in the morning.
  • edited November 2009
    Assuming you're asking about Bry's code... it's ROT-13 - All the letters are shifted around by 13 from the original. Or at least when I decoded it as such, I got an intelligible message that led me to the answer.

He said: "Also helps that it contains one word of the video name and shares a composer with the last."
  • I figured, apparently correctly, that voidptr (if he doesn't mind the reference) would recognize ROT-13, which is a simple substitution cipher where each letter in the message is replaced with the letter 13 places before / after it in the alphabet -- a convenient way of hiding spoilers. Encrypting and decrypting use the same formula, meaning that you can hop here, for example, paste in what I wrote to the online utility, and see the message.

I should've said first, of course, that I'm amazed as always by Borba's compositions / performances thereof and would very much like to hear more. Also, hint on the second quotation?
  • edited November 2009
    It's also referenced in the title.
    Borba has some modest skills (to say the least).
    It's one of the pieces in Qvfarl'f Snagnfvn.
  • Nerds. Cthulhu fhtagn to the lot of you. ;-)
  • Caleb: Ah, of course! That's one I'm not used to hearing in piano arrangement, but I should've gotten it from the title.
  • I'd love to post it, Borba, but I don't have a YouTube account. (Even my Kevin Bacon thing isn't "mine" -- "sipsipi" is the guy who filmed it...)

So go ahead and post the solutions for me on YouTube, Borba. (If you don't want me to sound completely fictitious, you could link my name to my website -- but you don't have to.) And let me think for a day on my "request." (I promise I'll pick something sincere -- not something like "W's duty"...)

• Okay -- I take it back. That didn't take nearly as long to decide as I thought it might.

In fact -- once I chose the song I would request, it seemed so amazingly obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it right off! What more perfect match for someone with the awesome classical skills that Borba possesses?

Ladies and gentlemen -- stay tuned to this forum thread for the (eventual) premiere of . . .

"Dance, Soterious Johnson, Dance (NPR Remix)"

(The time is fourteen minutes past the hour...)
  • edited November 2009
    Ah, I initially assumed a simple substitution cipher, but didn't have the mental energy over a rushed breakfast (and with a 2yo running around) to do it in my head past a few letter shifts!

Edric, I'd be happy to oblige, although it feels like cheating, since I already did the arrangement last year, and it's just awaiting repolishing and recording. I was going to do that anyway, so feel free to change your mind ;-)

ETA: Will post a link to an amazing piano rendition of NOBM later - can't access YouTube at work...
  • I'm used to the ROT13 convention from when it was used to obscure spoilers on Usenet, which I was reading a great deal back in the early 90's. It has the virtue of being a reciprocal cypher, whose thirteen two-way mappings are much easier to memorize than the twenty-six one-way mappings of general Caesar ciphers --I've heard tales of people who could read and write ROT13 without need for software -- and allows the same tools to be used for encryption and decryption. I'm reminded of a nerdy joke in which, by analogy to triple-DES, double-ROT13 is proposed as an encryption algorith. The joke is that double-ROT13 is plaintext.
  • edited November 2009
    For anybody interested in piano awesomeness (the kind one goes to when in need of humility), here is Boris Berezovsky playing a piano transcription of Night on Bald Mountain. The section at 5:07 is utterly terrifying if you hear what the left hand is doing - I extended the idea a bit for the SM last verse, losing any chance of solid rhythm in an attempt to cover more octaves ;-)

Also, semi-randomly, this is the most fun and impressive party piece arrangement of a classical piece I've heard in ages. Well worth a listen for some perspective of what human digits are capable of, although admittedly this piece falls in the "smoke and mirrors" category, written for a high impressiveness:difficulty ratio.

ETA: More relevantly, following up on the quoted titles... Troldhaugen was the name of composer Edvard Grieg's house. I always saw it translated as "hill of the trolls", although I recently saw it as "Troll Knoll", which is a lot more catchy. Either way, troll references are always good baiting material for online efforts.
  • That's actually the same Youtube video I found when I was trying to figure out the answer. First I listened to the orchestrated version, and didn't recognize anything, but I was sure from your title that it was there somewhere, so I listened to that piano version, and wham!

That second link just exploded my brain!

As long as we're on the topic of amazing but tangentially-related classical music links on Youtube, I really like this arrangement of the 1812 Overture for solo melodica and violin. This same guy has also done a lot of multitracking of Bach and Vivaldi, such as the 3rd Brandenberg Concerto for 10 melodicas. Who knew they made a bass melodica!
  • Wow, I'm really impressed with the melodica guy. Don't people just put the darnedest things on YouTube? ;-) The 1812 happens to be one of my son's favorite pieces, so we tend to hear it around 20 times a week. Good to get another angle on it though.

Glad to hear the Mozart-Volodos exploded your brain too. It's one of those things where familiarity breeds... not really contempt, but one gets a bit jaded, and it's hard to recapture the initial jaw-drop. (Confession: I have actually learned that piece, and played it as an encore at a concert last year. Not remotely as well as Yuja Wang, of course, and I'd be embarrassed to record it without another few months' practice, but still, it's an immense amount of fun, and guaranteed to leave people with a positive impression!)
  • edited November 2009
    Double post, sorry. But here's my note from the headmaster: Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance

As a few old forumites may remember, I actually did this (in semi-intentionally crappy audio) back in April 2008 already, but Edric's request was a good excuse to dust it off.

ETA: Just noticed how cute the video ID for Skullcrusher Mountain is? aDOGRCW0lFs contains a dog and is covered in W0lFs.
  • I think I could watch such views of piano arrangements all day. It's just like Olympic gymnasts on beam; jumping all over the place in fancy ways I couldn't imagine emulating, and as if that weren't enough, all the while landing in just the right spot to avoid falling off. I can barely walk in a straight line on the ground (whether this is a piano-playing metaphor or not.) I mean, I know it's just practice, and that you really are a [mere?] human being, but it's just amazing the things that humans can do with enough practice.
  • In response to totoro (from the Manchester thread) - I am a bit torn in two on the issue of MP3s, since I want to rerecord all these songs before taking them further than YouTube. On the other hand, I guess I should just bite the bullet and upload what I've got somewhere. Stay tuned...

Also, I just uploaded a new old one that I shared a while ago in an audio-only incarnation: Millionaire Girlfriend #2 (Caroline). This is a tip of the hat to Mike Lombardo, and a symptom of my infection by his, uh, infectious song "Caroline" a few Song Fus ago.
  • BorbaSpinotti's piano cover of Still Alive was linked to from WoW.com (now called WoWInsider.com again) today. I didn't know he was still making these (this one's from January, though). Grats, borba!