Musical's Galore!

edited October 2009 in JoCo Music
It's odd. Everybody seems to be making a Musical on Jonathan Coulton's songs.

First Spiff made his two years ago, then I had thought of making one, then Code Monkey the Musical, and now I am making one.

It's something I've wanted to do before I saw Spiff's 2 year old post and the topic about Code Monkey the musical.

Now Spiff if you're reading, you might wanna look away. I know you don't wanna know the plots yet.

Basically, my story is set out in 4 acts, each taking the audience in the future many years, based on the same character.

Here's my plots:

Act One

The first act starts with Tom, the main character, trying to find a date for the couple skate. His teacher, Mr Brown, volunteers his daughter, who is coming to back to the USA from the UK for a week. When she arrives, instead of finding a different man of her dreams, she instead falls for Tom. He falls in love with her too, and Betty soon asks her mother if she could live in the USA. When she gets her wish, Martin starts to fall for Betty, although Betty does not fall for him. This ruins everything when each person goes to the skate with the wrong person. Betty goes with Martin, and Tom goes with Laura, to whom Tom no longer falls for. Betty and Tom no longer talk as they blamed each other for not going to the skate together. Betty finds coming back to the USA a mistake and goes back to the UK.

Act Two

6 years later, Tom is working at his local radio station as a website producer. He is the one who does all the HTML editing for the radio’s website. He also works in the same place that Martin’s best friend, John, also works at. Suddenly, the radio gets a new recruit, who is named Betty. Tom does not realise that she is the Betty he fell in love with 6 years ago, and neither does Betty. After days of admiring her secretly, Tom gets the courage to go and talk to her, and that’s when they realise who each other really are. They soon catch up on each others lives.

Act Three

4 years later, Betty and Tom are now married. The only thing missing from their lives, is a child. They find out that Betty cannot have a baby, so they go and see if they can create one outside of the body. Their doctor is Dr. Martin Martin, whom they both knew who he was from 10 years ago. Betty and Martin have a flirt with each other and even though Tom’s DNA was used to make the baby, doubts arrive on if the Baby is actually his. In the end, they realise the baby is indeed Tom’s. Martin believes that Betty and he are now a couple and Martin and Tom have a huge fight, and this causes them to be enemies. But Martin isn’t a doctor of medicine… he is also a doctor of science, and plans one day to plot his revenge and claim Betty as his own…

Act Four

20 years later, a huge leap in time, Betty and Tom’s child is now 20 years old. Betty and Tom are also both 46 years old, and Tom is still in shape, and still working for his Local Radio. But now, Martin has now created something that took him 20 years to make, that will bring terror upon this land until he has Betty. When he manages to claim Betty for himself, he tries to claim the world as his own. Now the world is facing destruction, and it is no longer a safe place to be. Tom and his son, Sam, realise it is they who must save the world. He heads up to Skullcrusher Mountain and defeats Martin and his evil minion, who surprisingly enough turns out to be radio presenter John, Martin’s best friend.

I know. Goes from Love, to Love, to Love, to DESTRUCTION!

But thats the world of JoCo for ya xD

I dobt the story would be as sucessful as Code Monkey, but we'll see ;)

Charlie

Comments

• First Spiff made his two years ago, then I had thought of making one, then Code Monkey the Musical, and now I am making one.
    *ahem* First came this, I do believe. ;)

The more the merrier, though!
  • Way to pull out the Wayback Machine, Bry. Yes, that's the post that got me juiced up to write a musical.
  • Ah, personally I think a musical with a lot of time period skipping has a large potential to confuse the audience.

I'm writing one myself, heavily based on Spiff's design, although it might end up being a moot point because Mr. Jorgensen has kindly allowed me to take a look at his script (JoCo permitting).
  • It might have time periods, but it's not always as confusing. Remember Biententical Man? or however you spell it? That was set over, what, 100 years? Or more.

The thing is, the storyline flows with it, so we would know what happened. It's like the huge peices in Tom's life fit together. And I wanted to get to the stage that Tom and Betty meet, and they dont like get married in 1 month, but in 4 years. And then they have a baby created by Doctor Martin (Betty & Me), whom they both knew from High School
  • edited October 2009
    So you have called one of your characters Dr Martin Martin? Other than that unusual name (which bothers me for some reason) I quite liked it. I don't think the time period is an issue, it's not like your jumping back and forth.
  • Mr. Jorgensen has kindly allowed me to take a look at his script (JoCo permitting).
    If there's any way I could get a look at the script, I'd love to. Who should I ask?
  • Jorgensen posted his email address on the other thread: [email protected]
  • tell him we need it for the wiki. ;)
  • Request sent. Fingers crossed.
  • @Kerrin

I thought to myself: Think inside the JoCo world, and then the name Martin Martin occured. And since his world is wacky, I thought i'd make Martin's name wacky xD

I bet there is someone out there called Martin Martin, so why not bring that person forward? ;P
  • I bet there is someone out there called Martin Martin, so why not bring that person forward? ;P
    I think it is growing on me.
  • I bet there is someone out there called Martin Martin
    Well I don't know much, but I know he has a wikipedia page.
  • Told ya there was such a person :P
  • Luke Jorgensen got back to me. He says he's in the middle of the run and is getting a positive response. Hoping some local theaters will pick up the show. After the run (i.e. next week some time), he's going to add in the few changes they made during the run then see what JoCo wants to do with the whole thing. He's happy to post the script to the web if JoCo wants that (don't see why he wouldn't). So stay tuned.
  • And then they said they'll adapt mine xD woop!.... And thats what i'd love to be saying if it were true :'( lol
  • Can't wait until he releases the script - I couldn't figure out a suitable resolution that didn't involve rewriting one of the previous songs. Also, everything started bogging down in the 3rd act.
  • has it been released yet?
  • I haven't heard from him.