CodeMonkey: The Musical

edited October 2009 in JoCo Music
Figured I'd start a thread since we now have some video.
Performances run October 7th-10th at 7:30pm and October 11th at 2:00pm; doors open half an hour before the show, but seating is assigned. For tickets call the Robsham Theatre Box Office at 617 552 4002 between 10am and 4pm (tomorrow they're open from 8am-4pm) or call after hours and leave a message and they'll call you back when they're open.

Comments

• I wanna see this... if they did a UK tour... then... YAY ;)
  • Yes I know its a School Production but they should... ;P
  • Somewhere (On the forums I believe) someone from the cast said that depending on the response, they might tour. Though UK might be a stretch.
  • Very cool. My nephew is attending Tufts out there, and he missed the recent Boston JoCo concert because he couldn't find anyone to go with him (a lame excuse). Hopefully he can go see this live show and report back.
  • It's on tonight? anyone going?
  • Here's another video, My Monkey.
  • well lets hope opening night went well. Has anyone heard? Any more video?
  • Opening night, and each night since has gone splendidly! The audience has been great every night, and it's been so much fun to see JoCo fans coming in from around Boston! I hope everyone who's seen it so far has enjoyed it. We've gotten a ton of positive feedback! Tomorrow is our last evening show, then we have a matinee on Sunday at 2pm. Hope to see you there!
  • edited November 2009
    Bad news: I won't be at the Flood show in Chicago tonight. Good news: Sonia and I will be at CodeMonkey. :-)

ETA: Angelastic would not have liked CodeMonkey.
  • So MTgordon, how was it? And why wouldn't Angelastic have liked it?
  • edited November 2009
    It's not quite Broadway, but we enjoyed it. The fun thing for me, really, is the script, seeing how a small number of characters get incorporated into as many songs as possible. This was an elegant treatment of this, with some good examples being obvious just from the dramatis personae: "Boring Manager" Rob Anderson and his wife, Betty. The surname is also significant, seeing as this year is going to be a little crazy for them. Reading the program, which included a list of songs and the characters who sang them, led to some initial head-scratching, but it all makes sense (of a sort) in the end. The one notable exception was having Scarface sing "I Crush Everything," which was a bit too much of a non sequitur.

Some of the singers were quite good. I was especially struck by how many of the really good singers weren't in the drama school; I suspect that they were studying vocal performance. My perception of the singing may have been skewed heavily by the fact that I'm used to hearing all of these songs sung by a trained vocalist singing in a key that he finds reasonably comfortable. I suspect that some of the singers were outside their comfortable range on some of the songs. I know I have a bit of trouble singing some of JoCo's songs in their original respective keys and would be more comfortable transposing down a step or so. Alas! Capos don't help there. I have to wonder whether it would have been better to transpose some of the songs. As it was, I noticed that some of the songs were arranged slightly so as to be a bit less challenging to the singer. I'm not sure newcomers to JoCo's music would have noticed the difference.

The zombie choreography was amusing, with one highly topical bit that still makes me laugh.

As much as I enjoyed the musical, I have to wonder what it would have been like for someone who was totally unfamiliar with JoCo's music. The songs are often complex in meaning, and it's seldom possible to understand all the implications of a song when listening to it only once.

On a personal note, Sonia and I were amused by the romance between a code monkey and an attractive laboratory scientist; it sounds like home. As for the part that Angelastic would not have liked, I'm afraid that the evil genius, Dr. Martin, nuked Geneva.
  • As for the part that Angelastic would not have liked, I'm afraid that the evil genius, Dr. Martin, nuked Geneva.
    I hope the LHC wasn't on, or we'd all be sucked in to a black hole ;)
  • What, he wanted to be the only evil genius left? Now that's just cheating. We work hard at being the best evil geniuses without spaghettifying the competition.
  • edited October 2009
    Creating flying spaghetti monsters is what being an evil genious is all about!
  • Luke Jorgensen finally got back to me to say that he's set up a website for his various theater endeavors, including the "Code Monkey" musical. He's posted the musical's script for everyone who's interested to check out. The site is here.

He says he will post video as soon as he can, which you'll be able to access from this site as well.
  • Sweet. I got the email off him as well. A pity the script he linked too isn't a completed version. : <